“Loved it! Excellent Location!!! Amazing Staff!!!!”
Review of The Nolitan Hotel

The Nolitan Hotel
Ranked #161 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at The Nolitan for 2 nights, since we called to do the reservation the front desk staff was amazing, we arrived and the staff greeted us like family, the room was very nice and the decorations perfect for our style, they had everything you need, Toiletries, slippers, robes....
Even the continental breakfast wich took us by surprise was perfect.
We go to New York every year and will sure come back to The Nolitan every year!!!
2 Thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Pick a corner room and a Top floor, you can here everything from the rooms near the elevators!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Picked the Nolitan based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. I wanted a boutique hotel in the LES that was a guaranteed, sure-bet great exprience, and that's what we got. I paid ahead and splurged for the Corner King for a surprise weekend birthday get-away. the room was a perfect size for 2, with views of the river on one corner, and the Empire State Building the other. At night, it was spectacular!

CONCIERGE:
The front desk staff double as concierges - that's a new thing, apparently - so they were still a bit green around the gills helping us find some information, but they're absolutely wonderful and kind, and infinitely patient. They also managed to secure a dining reservation at Le Bernardin on a Friday night when I could not, which gets them bonus points in my book!

FOOD:
The continental breakfast is very basic and blah (though the coffee was good), but their restaurant was under renovation when we were there, so I'm withholding judgement on the food angle, but they do get points for arranging delivery from 15 area restaurants including famed Blue Ribbon Bakery, which they plate on-site with real silverware - a very clever 'stop-gap' measure that actually gives you access to some amazing food without the wait in line!

There's a tiny Asian hotdog shop a block away that has outstanding food for cheap - the kimchee dog is great, and the corn dog was sooo good... virtually no seating, but if you're just wanting a quick bite, highly recommended. The market, 5 blocks away, has TONS of great food options for self-catering, or just for munching - it's not for tourists, it really is mostly locals... ask the front desk for directions. There's also a kosher bagel place in walking distance that caters to locals and is very bare-bones, but is amazing.

LOCATION:
The location is very close to all the major LES shopping streets, subway, and just blocks away from some incredible ethnic eats. In fact, we took a food tour with The Enthusiatic Gourmet, and we were able to simply walk five blocks to the old market to meet her, and spent half a day touring Jewish, Italian, and Chinese neighborhoods all in walking distance of the hotel - it was a complete blast (found her on TripAdvisor, and highly recommend it too).

ROOM:
The picture is just the slightest bit deceptive.... in the King Corner, the photos appear that you could see the skyline from the free-standing (AWESOME) tub - but the placement of the work desk and flat screen TV actually interferes with this, so you can see out the window to the sky, but not the skyline per se. Not a dealbreaker, just a bit of a bummer. Similiarly, it appears that the windows are floor-to-ceiling panoramic views, but in reality it's a cleverly designed window that has mostly frosted (opaque) glass, with a few key panels of clear glass giving that amazing view. This means that you have masses of beautiful sunlight, but you have about 18"-24" of actual "view" windows to see the skyline - which you can see from the bed, but it's not a sweeping panoramic view as I expected. On the other hand, you don't feel compelled to close the curtains when you shower/bathe/dress, which is nice - and I did wonder about the privacy with all-glass on the room.

The toilet is separate from the sink, in the European pre-war style. The corner king had a lovely glass shower plus the awesome soak tub - it wasn't big enough for my six-footer and me to comfortably be in together, but it was wonderfully deep and perfect for my LUSH bath bombs - which I forgot to bring with, but there's a LUSH just blocks away from the hotel!

The "minibar" is divided into a mini fridge in the closet, and snacks in the bedside drawer... you can choose what you want to have ready ahead of time with a clever survey on their website - where you can also request gym passes, newspapers, and other amenities. There are also myriad "adult toy" options on their menu, which I thought was a fun touch ,and optional add-ons including wine or champagne in the room, cheese plate, chocolates, and even rose petals scattered on the bed... they really have the best a la carte menu for room options I've found!

The main floor has lots of seating areas for lounging and meetingup, and a functional library that is actually somewhere you'd WANT to hang out and relax - something no hotel lobby usually does for me. I didn't make it to the rooftop deck, because we always went out early and got back late, but other reviews say it's a priceless view - and considering the view we had from our top-floor room, I can only say I would agree.

There's a safe cleverly built into the bedframe, which is easy to acces, and fits a standard laptop plus other stuff.

The closet has the usual amenities - robes, slippers, large umbrella, etc.

WIFI: we had no problem accessing wifi, included in the room price (thank you!)

TAXI CAUTION: It's difficult to get a taxi FROM the hotel, just due to the location - the front desk staff know it so if you are planning to catch a plane or train, highly recommend consulting them the day before to discuss car service or other arrangements... it took us 30 minutes on a Sunday to find a taxi, and we had to walk about six blocks with our luggage to get to a street where we had a chance to find one not occupied.

Room Tip: The hotel is small (number of rooms), so if you even think you want a corner room book immediately...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bec215
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I hugely enjoyed my four nights at the Nolitan. Everything was great: the location, the lovely decor, the comfortable bed, the fun shower, the balcony with a beautiful view over the Williamsburg Bridge. The staff were absolutely perfect - friendly, helpful and accommodating. The breakfasts were good and the roof terrace has one of the best views you'll find. Fantastic hotel. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Do get a balcony if you can - the view is worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I travel often and in all my years of doing so have never written a review, even when asked. I had the most delightful time ever as a guest at the Nolitan. The rooms are beautifully crafted, super comfortable and equipped and accessorized perfectly. The bed was heavenly, sheets especially, the shower was everything you would want a shower to be, including awesome soaps and shampoo, and the Danny Macaroons that I found on my pillow (drizzled with carmel no less) were truly exquisite.

To top it all off, each and every staff member of the hotel was so kind, gracious and friendly. I would welcome the opportunity to stay at The Nolitan again. It was the very best part of my trip!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We chose The Nolitan based upon all of the positive feedback on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed! The hotel was modern and clean with very friendly and helpful staff. It was less than a five minute walk from Spring St or Bowery Subway stations and a good jumping off point to explore Manhattan. Definitely check out the view from the roof!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Booked a couple of nights at The Nolitan recently because my usual favorites were sold out. I had very low expectations but love the neighborhood. I have to say, I was impressed from the first minute I walked in the door. The staff was old school accommodating and helpful, but also fun and charming. By the time I checked out I was on first name basis with the whole staff!

Rooms were small but well designed. Bed was comfortable with good linens. Continental breakfast could be expanded a bit, but it was well presented and the coffee was good.

I would stay here again, for sure.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed in the Nolitan hotel for 9 nights in July 2012 and got a very good rate on Quikbook. Note that the hotel is having major renovation on the ground floor and there is no restaurant. We didn't hear any noise from the works though.

Pros:
- roof terrace. Huge and usually deserted. No umbrellas though.
- Our room had a very small balcony, which was nice, although far too thin to really sit on.
- wifi was free although the speed, and coverage, was patchy.
- free breakfast, although just filter coffee, tea bags and some bagels, was adequate.
- fantastic part of New York to visit. We ate nearly every night nearby and the restaurants were great, if expensive.
- bathroom was well laid out and the shower didn't flood the bathroom. The toilet was separate, which was unusual but a nice touch.

Cons:
- noisy airconditioning. The filter needed changing on arrival but the hotel staff had not noticed.
- housekeeping staff's knowledge of English was poor, but the standard of cleaning was good.
- wifi speed was slow.
- no international TV channels available, not even CNN international. So no Olympics until NBC told us we could watch it.
- no space to store clothes. We had to pile things on top of the minibar fridge.
- bed was tiny. If that was a Queen bed I'm a Dutchman. And for a room with a balcony which wasn't the smallest in the hotel, that room was small.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple