“A nice hotel, Customer services needs ALOT of work.”
Review of The Nolitan Hotel

The Nolitan Hotel
Ranked #139 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Loved the hotel having stayed in November, everything was cool and quirky and in a great location. I have absolutely no complaints about any of the actual features of the hotel they were just fantastic. The issue with my stay arose with the continental breakfast - very average selection to say the least, regardless we had it anyway as it was included in the package - or so we thought. After asking staff whether we had to pay extra for other things or was that all included in the free continental breakfast, we were met with the response it would be extra, so we stuck with the continental. Upon leaving we went to pay for the coffees that we had to find that the whole breakfast had been billed...... This was queried and following a quick check on my mobile phone, the website for the hotel clearly stated 'Free perks included: continental breakfast' Following pointing this out to the staff at the front desk they contested that because my booking didn't state it had a breakfast option it was chargable? What happened to the customer is always right. They even had the cheek to print out my booking and point to the fact it wasn't listed there. The fact is it was listed on their website as clear as day and should have been honoured. After spending nearly $2000 on a stay in their hotel surely they would comp a $20 bill which was because of their misleading advertising? It took the duration of my stay of arguing with them and it wasn't until they then billed me again for another breakfast which i didn't even have they refunded me the amount. Absolutely unacceptable behaviour from someone in the service industry and it would definitely put me off staying here again if they treat their paying customers like this, regardless of how nice the actual place is.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Blainey77c
Jennifer V, General Manager at The Nolitan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I was disappointed to learn that your service experience at The Nolitan was less than satisfactory. We strive to exceed guest expectations but recognize that in this instance we have fallen short, and for that I sincerely apologize. If you found and shared an incorrect posting, on our site, that breakfast was free then it simply should have been honored. As you can see from the majority of our reviews, we have earned a reputation for providing great service which leads me to believe that perhaps this was an instance of an honest misunderstanding. During the restaurant construction, June 2012-January 2013, we offered complimentary continental to all guests. Even after the restaurant opened, we continued to extend the free continental to those who booked during the construction because we didn’t want anyone to feel mislead. All instances of the free continental were believed to be removed in January 2013 and there had been no mention since. I believe that this is perhaps the reason why they reviewed your booking confirmation. However, as previously mentioned, if you showed them the incorrect listing, then it should have been honored. I have personally reviewed the mobile and standard website to ensure there are no instances of the posting. I assure you that what happened is not typical of The Nolitan experience. Your satisfaction is our foremost concern I hope you will consider staying with us again. You may contact me directly at 212.925.2555 or via email at jennifer@nolitanhotel.com. I look forward to the pleasure of hearing from you.

There are newer reviews for The Nolitan Hotel

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed in The Nolitan for four nights in late December, splitting our time between Nolita and the Meatpacking district. On reflecting our four nights in each area, this hotel and location was our definite preference. The hotel is clean and the staff are amazingly friendly and obliging. Our room was a corner room on the 7th floor and it had an amazing view of the empire State building, lit up at night in Christmas colours. The room had large windows, some frosted and some clear and the room felt very private - we didn't feel the need to close the curtains at night, preferring instead to absorb the New York/Nolita night life below. The bed was comfortable, the toiletries lovely and the bathroom area, with a separte bath open to the rest of the room felt indulgent.
The area is amazing and you feel removed from the overly touristy areas of New York and instead you are surrounded by boutiques, restaurants and cafes in the Nolita area, contrasted by the action packed ares of Chinatown and Little Italy a short walk away. We enjoyed just walking and taking in the the local area and there is easy access to uptown Manhattan via the Spring Street underground station, a short walk away.
There are some amazing restaurants and cafes nearby. We enjoyed breakfast twice at The Butcher's Daughter across the road and had a great dinner at 'Public' - a Michelin star restaurnt a short walk away.
Would definitely stay at the Nolitan again.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have better views.
2  Thank Andrew3181
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This hotel is ideally positioned in the Nolitan district. The area is positioned between Chinatown and little Italy with easy access to the Metro up into other districts.

We were able to walk to Washington Square and enjoy live music at the Blue Note within only 20 minutes walk.

The hotel is a quick walk from two main artaries (including Broadway) going though the heart of the island, and everything it has to offer.

The hotel rooms are small, but to compensate for this, the hotel foyer offers a very cosy environment, offering free drinks and cheese and biscuits between 17.00 and 19.00 as well as free popcorn readily available at all other times.

The hotel also offers free skateboards for the use of guests, but this is not useful to us.

The staff are helpful and knowledgeable about the area and the best things to do and see.

I would say that it is a fantastic place to stay, but there are too may other restaurants around that area to eat.

There is strong wifi and kettles are available upon request.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jeditopcat
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Nolitan in mid-November and I didn't regret it.

It's in an interesting location at the intersection of Soho, Chinatown and Little Italy. You can see elements of all three neighborhoods the moment you step out.

Turn one way and there's the Italian pizza and pasta place, turn another and shop signs are in Chinese. And it's very well located for shopping at SOHO, which is barely a five minute walk away, just past the really convenient Spring Street subway station on the number 7 line.

The line is great for the east side of Manhattan, taking you directly to shopping areas like Fifth and Madison, within easy walking distance of places like Bergdorf's and Barney's, though I would stick with Soho for variety and a better range of prices.

The line is also very convenient to museum mile on the east side of Central Park, and you can get to the Met, Whitney, Frick etc without switching trains.

There's also a really useful Citibikenyc rental station just off the Spring Street subway which is great if you want to cycle. And the hotel provides it's own bikes if you prefer.

The hotel's rooms are smallish, and on the slightly expensive side compared to what you would get in other cities. But that's common in NYC, and they are very well designed to look bigger than they actually are, as there is a glass wall between the bathroom shower area and the rest of room looking toward the windows. This opens up the room considerably in a visual sense. (Don't worry there are dark curtains at the shower glass wall for complete privacy if you so desire.)

The room was kept spotless all the time and even when I looked closely at the shower area, there were zero stains or dirt. For a germaphobe like me, this was important.

I didn't find the room I was in on the 7th floor noisy at all, as some other reviewers had warned.

The toiletries provided were also pretty good, being the same brand and range that I got in the Mandarin Oriental in Barcelona.

While breakfast wasn't provided I found the pricing of the hotel's in-house restaurant reasonable and the quality quite respectable. The wait staff were friendly and efficient. The lobby was nice and there were always people sitting around reading on the sofas which is great if you would like to socialise a bit.

I have to say that the hotel's staff lived up to their claims of friendliness. They were friendly and helpful to a fault. I requested tickets to a broadway show and a cruise around the city before I had even left Singapore, and they were waiting for me when I arrived, as promised.

One thing I found really interesting about the hotel staff was their diversity. There were receptionists and staff of Chinese, Hispanic, Sri Lankan, White, and Black descent. I also thought Torge, who was Tibetan, was really helpful (and kinda hot!) I thought this was a great reflection of NYC itself , with it's diversity and tolerance.

Some advice:

There did not seem to be any difference in the internal layout and size of the rooms with and without balconies. So if you don't need the balcony, it's cheaper to just go with the standard room. There is enough light as the windows are sufficiently large.

The hotel gives an access pass to a nearby public gym. It's a big gym sprawling over three levels. But if you don't like walking please note that it's a 10 minute or more walk away, which isn't great in the winter.

Also, at peak periods there aren't enough lockers at the gym with combination locks, so if you are going there just after working hours, make sure to bring yr own padlock. The gym itself is very well equipped and the staff friendly and welcoming.

In all, I had a very enjoyable and restful time at the Nolitan.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank BertSingapore
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We enjoyed our stay here so much.

Our room was smallish but very comfortable and we love the modern industrial decor. Bathroom was great and the bed was very comfortable.

The are is fantastic for walking around exploring with lots of interesting shops and eating places.

What made the overall experience though were the staff at the hotel, from check in to check out they were so friendly and nothing was too much trouble. item was a great introduction the NYC.

1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The Nolitan hotel is situated walking distance from SOHO, subway etc. VERY nice restaurants in the neighborhood for breakfast and dinner!! People at the reception desk are very helpful. A nice touch is the free wine and cheese around 17.00h! You meet some of the other guests. We also borrowed their 4 bikes for a whole day, even biked to Brooklyn for a fantastic view!
Rooms are good, clean. The only downside is that the rooms can be quite small and the airconditioning is loud.

Room Tip: Rooms are bigger at the end of the hall
2  Thank AmsterdamSusie
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Good location with a simple modern rooms. Ask for upper rooms, because lower rooms are noisy. nice view from the 8th floor were we stayed to Empire state building. No Christmas feeling (no Christmas tree nor carols).

Room Tip: Take a room from upper floors 8 or 9 th floor.
2  Thank Petri V