“WOW.........one of the best in NYC”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #82 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“WOW.........one of the best in NYC”
Reviewed 19 May 2011

The Andaz on 5th ave is amazing. The location is fantastic, right opposite NYC Library. I love the set up of check in, very modern with iPads to check you in and drinks on arrival. We were taken to one of the loft rooms and it was out of this world. I live in NY and it was such a nice escape for the night. I would of gladly stayed another month. The bar is lovely for a drink and all in all I will be back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2011

My stay at Andaz was absolutely amazing! I have to say I've been in quite a few hotels around the world and I think the staff were by far some of the most proffesional,
accommodating, and friendly I have seen to date.
I felt very spoiled there, you couldn't turn around without a friendly face being right there to assist you.
The room I stayed in was spectacular, I had a few friends traveling with me and their rooms were equally beautiful.
Great lounge area for having a coffee and reading the paper.
Nice dining area for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
A very beautiful bar for a couple of early evening or late night cocktails.
Also I felt it was the perfect location to stay in the city. Great area to shop in, close walk to Central Park, The Metropolitan Museum and directly across the street from The New York Public Library. Lot's of beautiful little breakfast spots all within a ten minute walk as well.
My favourite was walking down to the East Village everynight around sunset, the city is so beautiful that time of night. My favourite neighborhood for dining and some of the worlds best cocktail bars.
I will definitely tell anyone I know heading to NYC from here on out that they must stay at Andaz

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
San Francisco
Reviewed 19 May 2011

In NYC on business and the location doesn't get any better. The rates are awfully high because of this, which was my only criticism, but not a serious one since most boutiques of this caliber seem to be near the same price point.

Room was large (especially for NYC), bright with a large window facing 5th Ave and the library (though like everyone else here I do think they should redo the lighting), and the bathroom was beautifully laid out in granite and was ENORMOUS (I've stayed in hotel rooms smaller than the bathroom here).

Staff was also great and extremely helpful; my host even suggested a fantastic Chinese restaurant for a casual business lunch a few blocks away.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2011

The Andaz on 5th is an amazing Hotel, not only for it's location and ambiance, but the hotel staff is incredible. I've found them to always be right on top of everything, friendly and helpful. The room I had was gorgeous with an amazing view of 5th Ave. Every time I go to the Andaz I'm thrilled.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Two night stay on business. I wanted so bad for my stay to be perfect, because I'm a Hyatt guy and the Hyatt options in New York have been horrible for many years since the closing of the old Park Hyatt. Until they open the new Park Hyatt this is probably the best Hyatt option in NYC, but, this hotel was a mixed bag, at least for my stay.

Let me start with the good parts. The restaurant (The Shop) is downright awesome. Food quality A+. Service A+. I am a very picky eater and so much appreciate healthy stuff when I’m on the road. I enjoyed my first day breakfast in The Shop so much I walked back from my conference at the Westin to have lunch, then also had dinner here (I know, I’ve got to get out more, but I was just working nonstop and wanted to throw my laptop down and get some good food). Breakfast has many traditional options with a twist (read: your eggs will be local and organic), but also quite a few adventurous things. I had whole wheat toast with scoops of perfectly ripe organic avocado, topped with fresh coriander, rock salt and red chili flakes, with a half lime to squeeze on top. Downright amazing. It just got better from there. Highly recommend the food. On the good side as well, kudos to the Andaz brand for fast, free Internet and free minibars (sans alcohol). And thank you for putting Nespresso pellets in my room, I first found these in Park Hyatt Tokyo some years ago and now have one in my office and house. The best possible in room espresso/coffee option (makes you cry when you walk in some place and see Kuerig K cups).

Unfortunately there was also some bad. Primary was that the hotel is just not very well built, first for sound and second for lighting and electric. The first night there was a huge party above me, and I heard every minute of it. The worst night sleep in a hotel in years. I was going to move suites, but was able to ascertain the next morning that those people had moved on; my second night was okay but you can still hear room service in the hall and the grinding of the elevators – and mind you I had a (very, very small) one bedroom suite with the bed buried all the way back in the back room. It must be murder in an ordinary room. Lighting is completely and unbelievably inadequate. This is one of those places where you just can’t see to shave. Or read. Or whatever. Finally a minor annoyance, was that there was a huge work desk – but no power. I had to get laptop power by unplugging the coffee machine and stretching my cord like 10 feet. I saw a large black rat run across the floor of one room of the hotel one day, but my sister tells me this is New York and they are unavoidably everywhere. Still, you expect wildlife in Fiji, but New York? The staff was pretty good overall, but there were some definite signs of weakness. Probably the most annoying instance was, on the day before I checked out a letter was placed in my room saying they were doing kitchen renovations and therefore no room service that night or for breakfast the next day. However, the restaurant would open at 6:00 (instead of 6:30). This was actually perfect for me because I in fact wanted to go back to the restaurant, and had woken up early for an early flight. I got down there at 6:05 and the guy was setting up, and I started to sit down at which point he told me they were closed until 6:30. I told him about the letter, and he said sorry, he knew nothing of that, I would have to come back at 6:30. When I came back I showed him the letter (now its 6:35) and his only explanation as that it wasn’t infrequent that one part of the hotel didn’t talk to some other part. This sort of rough-around-the-edges service was sort of the typical service over 2 nights, though a few people (particularly all the other servers in The Shop) stood out as being great. Special kudos to a Shop dinner server who has been in NYC from Hawaii for about a year. She was outstanding.

So, where does all this leave the Andaz? As probably the best Hyatt option in NYC until the Park opens. So if you must stay at Hyatt, stay here. And if you stay somewhere else, come try a meal here. But if you just want an overall great stay and aren’t wedded to Hyatt, you might look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
10 Thank Jordan_Silber
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I loved this place - really cool at a great location just across from the Public Library. The staff was great and the rooms were very sizable. The restaurant food and breakfast were delcious and very good value for money. I booked most of our rooms on points but paid for others. The paid rooms were incredibly good value and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LondonTealady
Paris
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We went there with friends for 5 days in New-York. We had already been in Andaz in Los Angeles and San Diego and we knew the product would not be perfect. All Andaz hotels seem to suffer from the same problem: service.
The hotel is very conviently located on 5th avenue with a beautiful interior. We had a room (Andaz XL View) with a view overlooking NY Library. Located on the 4th floor, it was clean, spacious but some details in the design of the room are annoying. It is hard to get your water to flow in the proper temperature at the proper pressure. The system to light up and down the room is modern and fancy but not practical. Furthermore you can't close the toilets from the rest of the bathroom. Beware: elevators are very noisy so be sure to ask for a room away from them.
The real let down of the hotel is the service. The concept of the "host" is just useless. They have no clue what is happening around their hotel, they do not really welcome you (no description of the service available in the hotel). I asked for a gym to an host, it took him 10minutes on google (thankyou I know how to use google) to refer me to a gym 20 walk away from the hotel. When an host enters the elevators he will not say "goodmorning" or "hello".
Basically Andaz tries to be cool by hiring young "beautifull" yet untrained unmotivated staff. Yet, service (especially in big cities) does make the difference. There are plenty of other design or boutique hotels in New York. I would definitively advice you to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Room with a view, away from elevators