“Modern Hotel, great location, poor service.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #67 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
walnut creek, ca
“Modern Hotel, great location, poor service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

The hotel is hard to find , located just off 5th avenue across from the NY library with a nondiscript frontage. Upon arrival, we had to go inside and find someone to help us with our luggage. Check in was in a sparse lobby. We were offered drinks and then given a lesser room, as ours wasn't ready... though it was way after check in time and we actually checked in online 5 hours before...

The Room- very modern and sparse with little storage space, mainly a small glass enclosed closet. There was no place to store our bags. All lights were on touch pad which was a nice touch, but the buttons for the toilet were outside the bathroom. The free drinks/snacks were great but were rarely replenished. They also did not do turn down even though we asked for it until we got the manager involved. The bed is very comfortable, but they do not use top sheets- we had to ask 3 times and then finally ask a manger to get one. Free wifi. Room service was on time and hot and delicious.

The Gym- Nicely appointed though no clocks... TVs on all cardio, a small yoga area. Water available and headsets and cold towels a nice touch.

Restaurant/downstairs bar- Awesome- highly recommend the bar with open air kitchen-very cool space in the basement.

Location- great- a short walk to Bryant Park and Times Square. A good run down 5th avenue to Central Park and shops. Close to Grand Central Station.

Service- overall we were dissappointed. From the room not being what we were promised, to no turn down, to not replensihing the snacks... Also, it was impossible to find anyone at the door to get us a taxi or help us with baggage leaving or coming. And having to ask multiple times for something to be fixed is not ideal. Towards the end, housekeeping was much better.

I think if they can fix these things, the place would be great for a business traveler or couple. Would not return though as there are so many other places to stay with better service!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank nickied
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm sorry to hear that your minibar was not replenished, and that your turndown was not completed! We are investigating what happened to make sure that this is corrected for the future.

We sincerely hope that you will try us again. Please contact me so that I can personally ensure your next room has plenty of closet space, and that you have flawless experience!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Encino, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

Friendly staff, really nice room, super comfy bed, Connie Wang (Hi, Connie. Thanks again for the help.) constantly monitors tripadvisor and responded quickly to email requests. Oh yeah... the minibar food situation... meager offerings (a small sesame energy bar, two mini-chocolates and a bag of potato chips but It really tickled me that they were free and that when we came back to our hotel room and (as is so often the case) you need a little bite because you totally misplanned your day and your dinner reservation isn't for another three hours you don't have to pay $9 for a bag of chips because it's either that or starve. We looked forward to our little ration of free food each day. And, actually, all of the non-alcoholic drinks were complimentary, too... nice touch.

Now, here's the "but"... please keep in mind that I would stay here again and, overall, the place was great...

-as noted elsewhere, the bathroom lighting was not great but I think they are working on that. Connie provided us with an additional bathroom lit mirror and a standing floor lamp... they helped but the situation needs improving.

-the lighting controls, while high-tech touch control, were (even after a week of getting used to them) are not user-friendly... minor annoyance that others have noted.

- the room, while very minimal and cool-looking has next to nowhere to put your clothes away... even one small-drawer dresser would've been nice. Especially, as it was a very spacious "large loft" there was plenty of room to put some stylish drawers. I can appreciate that Joe So-and-so was the designer but give me a little less design and little more practicality. (Though have to say the room was pretty damn cool looking). They do, however, give you these little boxes that, I guess, are for organizing your clothes... drawers, please.)

-Room service coffee was so-so. We actually chose to (taking turns) get up, throw clothes on, walk a block to starbucks for better/cheaper coffee (and Starbucks isn't all that great, is it?) Sounds odd from someone shelling out $600 a night for lodging but there it is.

- Maybe I'm out of touch with the cost of staying in Manhattan but i think I saw that it was going to be FOURTEEN dollars to dry clean a pair of pants. I chose to go BUY a few more t-shirts and some levis. And some point, it stops feeling like a "service" and feels like they have you over a barrel.

- note to Connie: shower "spits" in Room 620 when you turn it on so you get kinda hit in the face with a spurt of water as you turn it on... could've been operator error.

- So, they do this interesting "host" thing. I have to say that it never took more than ten seconds to get someone's attention but i think I prefer a standard "person behind a counter". Maybe their way is actually more functional and more personal (and maybe not) and 'thinking outside the box" but I would've been happier with a more recognizable layout/geography when arriving at a hotel... "There's where you check in, there's where you cool your jets, that chair looks out of the way, there's the entrance to the bar, etc"... and it's not really like that and it takes a little getting used to.

- We had to "coordinate" when housekeeping came by to clean. Admittedly, Connie asked if we had a preferred time and I never told her. But, I've been traveling around the world for 30 years now and it's been my experience that most guests are gone from their room during the day and that's a good time to clean the room. If I return to my room at the end of the day, having been gone for 6 or 7 hours, the room should have been cleaned. It should happen with NO coordinating... like magic. I've seen this trick happen literally a hundred times and it shouldn't take two phone calls to iron out the "timing".

Again, most of these things are really minor and we enjoyed our stay.... really.

Room Tip: Give Connie an email. She's on top of things.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

The Andaz on 5th ave is amazing. The location is fantastic, right opposite NYC Library. I love the set up of check in, very modern with iPads to check you in and drinks on arrival. We were taken to one of the loft rooms and it was out of this world. I live in NY and it was such a nice escape for the night. I would of gladly stayed another month. The bar is lovely for a drink and all in all I will be back.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

My stay at Andaz was absolutely amazing! I have to say I've been in quite a few hotels around the world and I think the staff were by far some of the most proffesional,
accommodating, and friendly I have seen to date.
I felt very spoiled there, you couldn't turn around without a friendly face being right there to assist you.
The room I stayed in was spectacular, I had a few friends traveling with me and their rooms were equally beautiful.
Great lounge area for having a coffee and reading the paper.
Nice dining area for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
A very beautiful bar for a couple of early evening or late night cocktails.
Also I felt it was the perfect location to stay in the city. Great area to shop in, close walk to Central Park, The Metropolitan Museum and directly across the street from The New York Public Library. Lot's of beautiful little breakfast spots all within a ten minute walk as well.
My favourite was walking down to the East Village everynight around sunset, the city is so beautiful that time of night. My favourite neighborhood for dining and some of the worlds best cocktail bars.
I will definitely tell anyone I know heading to NYC from here on out that they must stay at Andaz

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

In NYC on business and the location doesn't get any better. The rates are awfully high because of this, which was my only criticism, but not a serious one since most boutiques of this caliber seem to be near the same price point.

Room was large (especially for NYC), bright with a large window facing 5th Ave and the library (though like everyone else here I do think they should redo the lighting), and the bathroom was beautifully laid out in granite and was ENORMOUS (I've stayed in hotel rooms smaller than the bathroom here).

Staff was also great and extremely helpful; my host even suggested a fantastic Chinese restaurant for a casual business lunch a few blocks away.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2011

The Andaz on 5th is an amazing Hotel, not only for it's location and ambiance, but the hotel staff is incredible. I've found them to always be right on top of everything, friendly and helpful. The room I had was gorgeous with an amazing view of 5th Ave. Every time I go to the Andaz I'm thrilled.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

Two night stay on business. I wanted so bad for my stay to be perfect, because I'm a Hyatt guy and the Hyatt options in New York have been horrible for many years since the closing of the old Park Hyatt. Until they open the new Park Hyatt this is probably the best Hyatt option in NYC, but, this hotel was a mixed bag, at least for my stay.

Let me start with the good parts. The restaurant (The Shop) is downright awesome. Food quality A+. Service A+. I am a very picky eater and so much appreciate healthy stuff when I’m on the road. I enjoyed my first day breakfast in The Shop so much I walked back from my conference at the Westin to have lunch, then also had dinner here (I know, I’ve got to get out more, but I was just working nonstop and wanted to throw my laptop down and get some good food). Breakfast has many traditional options with a twist (read: your eggs will be local and organic), but also quite a few adventurous things. I had whole wheat toast with scoops of perfectly ripe organic avocado, topped with fresh coriander, rock salt and red chili flakes, with a half lime to squeeze on top. Downright amazing. It just got better from there. Highly recommend the food. On the good side as well, kudos to the Andaz brand for fast, free Internet and free minibars (sans alcohol). And thank you for putting Nespresso pellets in my room, I first found these in Park Hyatt Tokyo some years ago and now have one in my office and house. The best possible in room espresso/coffee option (makes you cry when you walk in some place and see Kuerig K cups).

Unfortunately there was also some bad. Primary was that the hotel is just not very well built, first for sound and second for lighting and electric. The first night there was a huge party above me, and I heard every minute of it. The worst night sleep in a hotel in years. I was going to move suites, but was able to ascertain the next morning that those people had moved on; my second night was okay but you can still hear room service in the hall and the grinding of the elevators – and mind you I had a (very, very small) one bedroom suite with the bed buried all the way back in the back room. It must be murder in an ordinary room. Lighting is completely and unbelievably inadequate. This is one of those places where you just can’t see to shave. Or read. Or whatever. Finally a minor annoyance, was that there was a huge work desk – but no power. I had to get laptop power by unplugging the coffee machine and stretching my cord like 10 feet. I saw a large black rat run across the floor of one room of the hotel one day, but my sister tells me this is New York and they are unavoidably everywhere. Still, you expect wildlife in Fiji, but New York? The staff was pretty good overall, but there were some definite signs of weakness. Probably the most annoying instance was, on the day before I checked out a letter was placed in my room saying they were doing kitchen renovations and therefore no room service that night or for breakfast the next day. However, the restaurant would open at 6:00 (instead of 6:30). This was actually perfect for me because I in fact wanted to go back to the restaurant, and had woken up early for an early flight. I got down there at 6:05 and the guy was setting up, and I started to sit down at which point he told me they were closed until 6:30. I told him about the letter, and he said sorry, he knew nothing of that, I would have to come back at 6:30. When I came back I showed him the letter (now its 6:35) and his only explanation as that it wasn’t infrequent that one part of the hotel didn’t talk to some other part. This sort of rough-around-the-edges service was sort of the typical service over 2 nights, though a few people (particularly all the other servers in The Shop) stood out as being great. Special kudos to a Shop dinner server who has been in NYC from Hawaii for about a year. She was outstanding.

So, where does all this leave the Andaz? As probably the best Hyatt option in NYC until the Park opens. So if you must stay at Hyatt, stay here. And if you stay somewhere else, come try a meal here. But if you just want an overall great stay and aren’t wedded to Hyatt, you might look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business