“Loved the Andaz 5th Avenue”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #71 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Adelaide, Australia
“Loved the Andaz 5th Avenue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Andaz 5th Ave on our first ever trip to NYC and if we are ever fortunate enough to return in the future the Andaz would be our hotel of choice. We arrived to the Andaz exhausted from an overnight flight from San Francisco and unprepared for the cold weather we were greeted by friendly and attentive door men who immediately took our bags and similarly mannered 'reception' staff who swiftly organised coffee's for my husband and I. The room was very large and spacious which we believe is unusual for New York hotels and was beautiful appointed and very modern. The bathroom was admittedly dark but not problematically so and was stocked with great bath products. The bed was exceptionally comfortable with beautiful linens. The Andaz offers a complimentary mini bar (except alcoholic drinks) which is restocked daily. The staff were always friendly and our host organised us Knicks tickets within 30 minutes of us requesting them and they were slipped under our door later that afternoon. The Andaz is in the perfect location - walking distance to 5th Avenue shopping, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and Broadway. We truly loved our stay and have recommended it to family and friends.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SJM061

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

I stayed here from 29-31 May. I am a very frequent business travellers although I do not travel to the USA as often as I do in Asia and Europe. I am also fussy about where I stay and although I am a Platinum Hyatt Gold Passport member I will only stay at a Hyatt Property if I find something I like. My last few visits to NY were usually at the Essex House, Peninsula, etc because the Hyatt properties in NY were not up to par, eg Grand Hyatt in NY is literally too big to be conducive as a home away from home in terms of service and room quality. This was my first stay at the Andaz propery and I must say it was a great experience. The rooms and bathrooms are wonderful, service was genereally of a very high quality and beds very comfortable. The hotel may be trying to be a little too hip and I am the sort of person who stays at the Park Hyatt properties but I must admit that I liked the overall experience especially the superb location and service. Well done to the GM Jonathan and his team.

In fact I am back in NY again for a day and just checked in again and was upgraded to a suite. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Tenafly, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

A modern stylish hotel suited to business travelers and tourists alike. From the moment we walked into the hotel to the moment we walked out, I really can't think of anything that was bad about the hotel. The service was perfect throughout our stay. I have stayed at many hotels around the world, and the staff at Andaz were the most friendly and efficient I have seen to date. There is no reason to stay anywhere else in NYC.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

Stayed at teh Andaz 5th Ave and will definitely return. It was our first stay at an Andaz and found the service to be over the top, the room was very unique including free mini-bar drinks and snacks (non-alcoholic) and an evening wine get together in the lobby. We cannot wait to go back!!

You won't be disappointed - It is also a National Green Council Silver Leed building.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank gmcCalifornia
Honolulu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

We recently stayed at Andaz 5th Ave over a holiday weekend and had a great experience. The staff greets you warmly as you first walk through the front door. The check in process is unique in that they allow you to sit down, while serving you fresh fruit and a drink of your choice, rather than standing at a check in counter. Overall the process was easy and quick, which was a relief after a long day of travel to get to NYC. I’ve stayed at a few hotels across the world that do this and I much prefer this to the standard check-in counter.

The interior design of the hotel is sustainable modern, with simple, clean lines, and warm wood accents. Our room was very sleek with doors and cabinets that hid the closets and refrigerator, and the hotel takes advantage of technology with finger-swipe light switches (takes getting used to), which also controlled the window shades. The room was very clean and comfortable, and the bathroom had wonderful extras like dual vanities, a rain shower and a foot bath.

The service was perfect throughout our stay, the hotel staff helped us with dinner reservations, theater tickets, taxis, subway directions, museum recommendations, and luggage storage after our checkout. Every request we had was fulfilled quickly and with a smile, which is more than most can say in NYC.

The location is very convenient, close to 5th Ave retail, Grand Central Station, subway and bus stops, and across the street from Bryant Park and the NY Public Library. There is even a mini-library inside the lobby with books supplied and recommended by the NY Public Library. We tried the restaurant once and it was good, but with so many great dining options in NYC, we could only give it 4 stars. Overall though I would highly recommend Andaz 5th Ave, the next time we visit NYC we definitely plan on staying here again!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank bjwang
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

First of all, let me say that this hotel is exceptional in many ways. Terrific rooms, great location, wonderful food & beverage options, a very generous Diamond breakfast benefit.

However, I had one of my worst hotel check-ins ever here and I am posting this now, six months later, because someone from Hyatt HQ recently asked me about my best and worst Hyatt stay, and I am still resentful at how I was treated by this property. Short story: There was an issue with a confirmed suite upgrade and hotel staff did not believe me until a manager confirmed the day after check-in that an error had been made. While mistakes like this can happen (and if this hadn't been a special occasion for me where I had an expectation of a suite I would likely have been more understanding myself), the antagonistic attitude exhibited by some of the hotel staff exacerbated the situation instead of facilitating an appropriate solution. I cannot recall ever being talked to in a hotel in a similar way, especially at a Hyatt property, and it appears a few of the negative reviews here reference similar behavior.

That said, I am very pleased to see that the overwhelming number of reviews here are positive and I am sure if it hadn't been for the service issues related to my Diamond benefits (suite upgrade and late check-out) I would have had a great stay as well.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Carsten W
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 1 June 2011
I sincerely apologize that your previous experience a few months ago was poor, and that there was a confusion with your Diamond Suite upgrade. We now have our full inventory of rooms and suites, and have since been better able to meet the demand. I hope you will contact me directly prior to planning a future trip to New York, so that we can give you a complimentary suite upgrade and ensure that your next visit is flawless! Thank you for sharing.
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

The Andaz 5th Avenue is part of Hyatt's new, hip Andaz chain, with each hotel having a different personality. Our stay here was top to bottom, fantastic.
We arrived early on a Saturday morning, after getting up at 3:30 to catch a train from D.C. We were able to get into our suite, which was nice. After the host showed us the room and wished my son a happy birthday, we went down for breakfast. It was very expensive, but it was good food and nice to have a view of the Public Library. We had room 1106, which was a loft-style suite. I can't find what room it was exactly, because it has some elements of different room types. Anyways, we had one king bed and a sofa bed. My son slept on the sofa bed, which was king sized and not slept on before as shown by the tags still on the mattress. It was as comfortable as the regular bed, not your standard sofa bed. We had a lovely kitchen area, with a full fridge with food and drinks in it, which were free and you could request more. We had 2 different huge closets, one in the bedroom area and one in the entryway. We had two gigantic TV's, one in each area. The blinds and lights are controlled by a few master switches, but it was easy to use. There was a desk and chair, which we didn't really use. The bathroom was huge and beautiful, with very nice toiletries. As it was my son's birthday, they sent him dessert. He got two, and I think that one was because we had it on the reservation, and one was from the host who checked us in. Upon departure, sad as we were to leave, it was a little bit okay because they offer a departure gift, we chose the delicious brownies. We also had a high sense of security, as you need a key to use the elevator. All in all, a great place and we will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main tower.