“Perfect location, perfect hotel”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #92 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Perfect location, perfect hotel”
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Great location on 5th avenue, opposite New York Public library & Bryant park, very close to Times square, Grand Central station, Empire State, Rockerfeller, central park, MoMa...all of which is in walking distance..no need for cabs or subways unless you get tired of walking. Staff were great, loved all the free hotel bar i.e. all non-alcoholic drinks are free & all the snacks too...complementary!!
Our loft style room was very luxurious & spacious.

Only let down was the room service - choices for dinner where not that great & the food itself was average for a hotel of this calibre.

On the whole great location & great hotel

Room Tip: Corner suite is large.
1 Thank SK1212

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We loved our stay at the hotel!!! The staff could not have been more attentive or accomodating-from the free coffee, tea, or water from the minute you walked in, to a nice size umbrella for those nasty, rainy days. The best is the free hotel bar-all the soft drinks and organic bars you want!!! What a treat!!! It's definitely the little things that stand out in this hotel that make it so comfortable!!! The rooms are clean and beautiful-I would definitely stay at this hotel again!!!!

1 Thank Lori292
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2011

This hotel has a great location. It is walking distance to Grand Central Station, great shopping, Central Park and Time Square, but you aren't overwhelmed with tourist when you step out the front door. It is a simple, clean and beautiful hotel. The staff really went out of their way to make our stay wonderful. I arrived in a downpour, soaking wet. As soon as I walked in a very friendly staff member took my bags and handed me a drink. I arrived early and my room was not ready. The staff member handed me a coupon to Lord and Taylor and told me he would call as soon as a room was available. He called in 20 minutes, and showed me to a beautiful, very modern and spacious room. My husband and I have stayed in many places in NYC, and this is our new favorite. It's centrally located, beautiful and very cool. They offer lots of fun perks, like wine in the lobby from 6-9 and complimentary minibar (excluding alcohol). We will return soon!

1 Thank EdlynB
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I visits NYC frequently. This was my first stay @ The Andaz. Their customer service was superior from the momnent I exited my cab. The staff is friendly and over and beyond my expectations. The room was nothing short of amazing. Just beautiful. From the room to the comlimentarty wine bar and eating at the restaurant. I had a experience I will never forget. I will also never Choose to stay at any other hotel in NYC..I love love love Andaz!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Lhall30
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I love NYC, visit every year, have a keen eye for detail, and have stayed in quite a few boutique hotels like Rivington and LES but nothing like the Andaz. Whoever designed the rooms and the customer service training knows what they are doing. The customer service was impeccable. I was talking with one of their employees and she mentioned that each of them were personally "styled". Impressive. When I walked into the room, I noticed the lighting first, quite dramatic like a high end club. The mixture of high ceilings, wood, stone, glass, and hammered steel were just to my taste. The lighting was "hidden" behind stainless steel "rods", a nice touch. The bathroom shower towel was rolled up and left on the ledge of the shower entrance, another nice touch. The reflective mirror backcoating in the bathroom was designed in shapes. When I turned on the TV, it said welcome "Jon Sumida". Most businesses don't take the time or care to make customer service such a priority. The Andaz does and it felt great. I have to mention one more thing, I needed a cab, so the girl at the lobby door stood out on the street to hail one for me. She stood out there for 1/2 hour for the previous guest. That's service. Thanks Andaz for a lovely stay. I think I've fallen in love with a hotel. Is that possible? I don't know but I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2011

“I usually don’t take the time to respond to surveys, but the overall experience and the quality of your staff made me want to respond…You are doing a GREAT JOB!!!.......I will be staying at your hotel again and again…”

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Astoria, Oregon
Reviewed 4 October 2011

This is a very hip, very new hotel. The New York TIMES was sort of trough in its review shortly after it opened saying it was "run by teenagers." Definitely stay in the main tower or you'll feel very isolated and have to take two elevators to get to your room.
The lack of a front desk is disconcerting and when we arrived from another hotel with several pieces of luggage. A "host" comes out and asks us if we want a cart? No, we'd like a bellman if that's not too 20th century. Similarly when I was trying to get the laptop in the library to print I had a hard time finding a "host" who wasn't seated chatting up a guest.
This is not an inexpensive hotel and front desk experience matters. Now their rooms are great, the soft drinks and water are free and refilled daily and all in all I'd rather have a nice
room than super-elegant lobby like the Waldorf-Astoria.
If they can learn that dealing with the issues those of us who travel a lot would like dealt with at the front desk, this could be a great hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank coastda
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
Dear Coastda,

Thank you so much for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and are always working on new ways to make the lounge experience more intuitive, and easy for you to get assistance at the time you need.

Warm regards,