“Very Enjoyable, with Some Room for Improvement” 4 of 5 bubbles

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #58 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Canada
“Very Enjoyable, with Some Room for Improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Our recent stay here was very nice, greatly due to the helpful staff and prime location of the hotel.

Our room was very nice, very clean and spacious, and had a great view of the Public Library.
The bathroom was very innovative, with a foot-soaker and ceiling rain-shower, which was great. A nice plus was also having the option of using a hand-held showerhead.
Beds were comfortable, as was the sofa-seat, though the desk chair didn't seem to be a great choice, especially if you are there on business.

Internet was included, as were the non-alcoholic items in the minibar, which was nice. There were meant to be some breakfast items, drinks, snacks etc. available in the morning and throughout the day, but we were shown only a small bowl of fruit covered over, in the middle of an empty table. Complimentary wine in the evening was very much appreciated, however, and enjoyed.

We found some issues with housekeeping, as their cleaning processes seemed flawed; used, dirty food trays were seen left outside other guest rooms in the hallways for an entire day, even though we saw multiple housekeeping employees walk by.

The lobby staff were really great, and made our stay very enjoyable. Overall, a good experience, but it seems as if some of the 'kinks' are still being worked out.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room facing 5th Ave, preferrably higher up.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 16 October 2011
Dear RPhCAN,

I'm glad you felt that our staff was friendly and helpful, and that you enjoyed your visit overall. To clarify, in our guest lounge, we offer seasonal fruits and beverage service throughout the day, with wine service in the evenings. I'm so sorry you noticed some room service trays in the hallways - we will certainly act and provide better checks on this, as this is not our standard. Thank you very much for your feedback and please contact me if I can ever be of service in the future!

Connie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Reading some reviews about this hotel (mostly positive) I have to offer my perpective as a mid 30's business traveler and why I really like it.

First - this hotel is in a great location and a new building, a good start for any hotel. It is well decorated in a modern/stylish look and feel, a stodgy Ritz Carlton this is not. The staff is on the younger side and very friendly - not old and formal like many 5 star hotels. During my stay they were professional and one woman went above and beyond to make sure a last minute request I made was done. I had room service and ate in the restaurant and both were high quality and worth the price. The shower in the room I had was huge and nice - all glass and stone, nice shower head etc.

Beyond this what hit me was that they are not nickle and diming - internet is included in the rate, the water and basic snacks in the minibar were complimentary. While it seems small - this matters to me and says they are in tune with what people want. I will pay for a nice room service dinner - but don't charge for internet and a bottle of water.

My complaints were really minor: the lights in the room were controlled by a fancy pad that was a bit tricky to use and the desk chair was a bit uncomfortable (looked nice).

I will be staying there again on a future stay. As a frequent and global business traveler - this place is a solid hotel on all fronts. If you can afford the rate - try it.

The NYTimes review which I read after seeing others on this board mention it is off track and probably written by an oldster for whom this hotel is not designed. Plus aren't the WWII generation they only people that subscribe to papers anymore?

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Los angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Enjoyed the location of this trendy Hyatt offspring but as others have noted they have a unique lobby...no check in desk but the friendly "conceige" will also take you your room. Which will be fine for one or two nights but for any more dont expect the glass closets in the middle of the entry to hold much But loved the free soft drinks and water

Three requests never got the shower head fixed so it wouldn't point to the floor when showering (it is an open shower no door) was frustrating

Interesting bar in basement but kitchen was closed after theatre and drinks were limited to trendy drinks

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank krmrn
Dear krmrn,

Thank you for posting! Please contact me as I would like to follow up with you regarding your showerhead fix.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

Just came home from NYC - 8 nights at the Andaz 5th ave.
We stayed (3 people) in a large suite overlooking the Public Library. The room was very spacious and the view was magnificent (even though the windows really needs to be cleaned!)
The room was so clean (maybe even cleaner than Park Hyatt Tokyo).
The suite though had some odd designs:
1: the door between living room and bedroom could not close (you had to put something on the floor to stop it from opening)
2: The doors in the bathroom did had some problems closing (one of them could not close at all). The hinges did not seem to fit the doors very well, making them cracking and hard to close.
I emailed Andaz a week prior to arrival, asking if it would be possible to get the suite facing the public library. The fact that I did not receive a reply at all, made me a bit disappointed.
But all in all, I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a suite overlooking the Public Library.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear lassevj,

Great to hear that you truly enjoyed your visit overall, and that you were impressed with the level of cleanliness of your 5th Avenue suite. I will follow up on your detailed comments about the room - thank you! Please let me know what email you tried to reach us on so I can make sure it is correct.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

Stayed in the andaz when in newyork celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary.

There is nothing about this hotel that I could fault!

The room wasn't huge but more than big enough for 2 people. Bathroom was very big with a huge rainforest shower with a foot bath... Just what you need after a long day walking NYC!

Non alcoholic drinks where free in the room and in the huge hidden fridge in reception. This actually saved a decent amount of cash.

There was also a complementary free glass of wine each night too, these small touches were lovely!

The staff where very very friendly!! We were stuck in the hotel when a hurricane hit the city and the staff could not have looked after us any better!!

The location is also brilliant! Right opposite the library with Bryant park behind it. Lovely to sit and enjoy sunset. You can see the empire state from the corner of the hotel and walk to it in 5/10 mins. 5th avenue is also right next to the hotel and walking down it will take you to central park. 15 mins away.
Time square was also less than 10 mins away!!

Overall, we will 100% stay here next time we are in NYC!

It's not cheap, but it was stress free!!

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Lynzigree,

We are honored you chose our hotel for your anniversary! I remember our lovely camradie - staff and guests together - while we waited for hurricane Irene to pass.

See you the next time you are back in New York!

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

The location is perfect. So handy. Could walk to so many places.
The property is very good. Service is excellent. I was impressed by the versatility of the staff. Very efficient and responsive service. Booked restaurants, rearranged travel, loaded luggage on taxis, all with a smile.

A laptop in the lobby was available for guests. Free wi-fi all through.

Room was great, large and comfortable. Bathroom was great, and huge.
Enjoyed the room very much.
Unfortunately the room had some dirty spots that were obviously routinely overlooked (the headboards were visibly dusty, the window panes absolutely filthy on the outside).
Air Conditioning wasn't very accurate, it was either too hot or too cold.

Room Service was ok, but food was not as good as Andaz Wall Street.

Restaurant was very good, both for breakfast and dinner. Good service. Great food. Nice mood.

Really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

First, the positives (why this is 2 stars, not 1): Room was spacious & comfortable. Room service was timely and delicious. However, unfortunately, those big positives were overwhelmed by the terrible front desk service. Reception had a terrible attitude when I checked in. I had stayed the hotel in the past. They had no record of this. I tried to mail a stamped, addressed envelope (I was paying a bill). I gave my envelope to the front desk to mail and expected it to be mailed when I'm paying $650/night for a room. It never was. I don't know where my check is, but now I owe late fees. Managers were clueless and rude when I politely called to inquire two weeks after my stay about this. I had poor customer service at the front desk the first time I stayed and didn't think too much about it (I thought it was a part of it being a new hotel) and I held off on staying for a while. Shame on me for returning. There are plenty of other midtown hotels with spacious rooms, good room service and great front desk staff that will get my business in the future. Unless you want to deal with frustrating, poor service, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Lars7777
Dear CarterR,

I am so disappointed and embarrassed to hear about your service experience in order to get your business in order. I would like to pay for your late fees, and find out more in order to make sure this does not happen in the future. Please contact me via this website or connie.wang@andaz.com.