“Beautifully furnished with first class service”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #91 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautifully furnished with first class service”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Loved this hotel! The rooms are gorgeous and the staff are extremely helpful. Location is perfect - close to shopping, broadway and good restaurants. Our room was immaculate both in cleanliness and decor, and we loved the CG Bigelow bath and body products that they supplied. We also visited their downstairs bar on our last night and wish we had discovered it earlier - the classiest happy hour I've ever been to!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I wrote a review after a stay in May which was complimentary of many things int he hotel (particularly, I praised the restaurant quite a bit), but noted some shortcomings, namely, lighting and some noise from the hallway. This places deserves a re-review following my stay in October. I am giving them 5 stars now. The lighting has been totally re-done. The controls are easier to manage and mainly, you can SEE to shave, etc. Its night and day different. Kudos to Andaz for recognizing and fixing this. Management was proactive about the problems with my prior stay and managed to secure a room near the end of the hallway where noise was no concern. My recommendation is that if a quiet stay is important to you, request a room away from the elevators (which are near the service doors as well). The ends of the hallways are quieter. The parts of my May stay that I reported as "great" remained great. Particularly the delicious and healthy food in the restaurant, and the interesting drinks and great atmosphere in the bar. This is the best place to stay in midtown, in my book.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I've stayed at Hyatt hotels in the past but this was my first experience with the Andaz product. Wow!

From the moment you walk through the doors the service is top notch. It's been a long time since I've experienced this level of service. When I arrived my room wasn't ready, but the host asked for my cellphone number and within 30 minutes I received a call letting me know my bags were already delivered to my room. The entire hotel staff was amazing! You really couldn't ask for much more.

The room is extremely modern, too modern for my taste and it felt "cold". Nevertheless, the room is spotless, spacious and most importantly extremely quiet.

I would not hesitate to return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 26 October 2011

My husband and I's first trip to NYC ended up being the same time that the hurricane hit. We had planned to stay two nights at the Andaz, but because of the hurricane we ended up only staying one night. The hotel had no issue with refunding us the nights stay due to the circumstances. The hotel staff was amazing during our short stay. We had to find a way out of the city when the subway was shut down and Amtrack canceled our tickets. We were able to use one of the multiple laptops in the lobby to find one of the few rental cars that were still left in the city. While we were in the lobby the hotel staff came by and offered us beverages and showed concern for our situation, which meant a lot to us. Joe, our concierge, ordered a car service (which was fancy and not much more than a cab) to get us across town to our rental car. All in all our trip was as good as it could possibly be. We still had our one amazing day in NY before the hurricane ended it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
Dear Jess3181,

Thank you so much for your comments! Great to hear that our team, and Joe in particular, provided you with a great experience. We hope to see you back again so you can enjoy New York without the inclement weather:)

Warm regards,

Connie
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 25 October 2011

chose this hotel because of its location and a new hotel brand of hyatt. we stayed here for a week and everything is perfect! staffs are all very helpful (special thanks to Renee and Connie). the room we got is spacious with a lovely view. plus side is the free wifi, soft drinks and snacks!

definitely staying here again when going back to new york.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank wyh
Valrico, Florida
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I stayed in Midtown for a class and took my husband to celebrate an early anniversary... The hotel was impressive... Not sure why some of the reviews were knocking the service because quite frankly, I felt special from the minute I walked in the door... Our room was extremely modern; lots of gadgets and extremely quiet given we were in the heart of Midtown... The shower was a little weird to figure out at first but the room was very cozy...

The service, for us, was amazing... The majority of the staff bent over backwards to do what they could for us. They spent time talking with us and helping us plan dinners and subway routes... In addition, they were kind enough to ask us about it the following day... They offered to spend time going over subway lines and recommendations for airport transit and took care of everything... The staff was very young, very energetic to help us, and a lot of fun to talk to; yet very knowledgeable about the city...

The food in the restaurant was pricey but very good... I highly recommend this hotel and will be going back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We booked our trip to New York to celebrate a birthday, and decided on the Andaz 5th Avenue after reading plenty of positive reviews.
Firstly the positives....the location is perfect for seeing many of New Yorks attractions, and the hotel is very modern with large and comfortable rooms. We stayed in a king suite, which was impressive with good views and lots of gadgets.
However, the service at the hotel was possibly the worst I have ever experienced. The free mini bar is a nice idea, but useless if the bar is never re-stocked. The turn down service is only every other day, so why bother? And the maid service left used towels in the living room on two occasions.
However, the biggest disappointment was the host service at the hotel. There were always lots of staff in the lobby area, but they seemed more interested in looking good that providing any services.
On check in, we were not assisted with our bags, during 5 days, we were only once offered assistance to get a taxi, and the staff failed to advise us of the hotel happy hour (or any other services). The worst experience was with a birthday cake that we had ordered in advance of our trip. The staff were unable to locate the cake until 17:00 despite us checking on it at 9am, and leaving several messages with the hosts. By this time, the cake was useless, as we were out for a birthday meal. The host then offered to deliver the cake the following morning (perhaps they did not understand that a Birthday cake is required on the actual birthday).
If you want a high tech hotel with large rooms, then this hotel may well appeal. However, if you expect even halfway decent service, or staff who are prepared to assist you in organising the small details to make your stay special, I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Barbara H
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Dear Barbara H,
I am so sorry to hear about your experience, particularly for your birthday! Please contact me at your earliest convenience (connie.wang@andaz.com), so that we can make this right. Please know this is certainly not the norm, and I would love to welcome you back so we show you what a stay at Andaz 5th Avenue should be.

Warm regards,