“Great find in great location”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #89 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Great find in great location”
Reviewed 23 November 2011

If you are looking for something a bit different in New York then you can't go past Andaz 5th Avenue. This new approach to hotels is a refreshing change from the bigger, less personal ones. A special mention to the hosts that look after you from the minute you step in off the street. The location is great and I loved the complimentary glass of wine at night! We did have a leaking ceiling early one morning - still not sure why, but was assured it was a first for the hotel. The manager dealt with this smoothly and efficiently and we were transferred to another (better) room with minimum of fuss. Well done. Look forward to coming back

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
west sussex
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed in the Andaz on our first trip to New York - fantastic rooms with lovely walk in shower. Complimentary mini bar topped up daily is really good when u need water after walking for hours. Excellent location. Down side is the bar which is in the basement and loud and claustrophobic.

• Stayed October 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 November 2011

My experience at the Andaz is reminiscent of when WIZARD OF OZ went from black and white to color. It was magical. The door man who met me was courteous, firiendly and efficient. Then, instead of check in lines, I saw in an antechamber (refreshments available) as a clerk with an iPad came to check me in. She then took me to a room that was tastefully luxurious and modern in a most pleasing manner.

The in-room bar was fully stocked with free refreshments, from beer, juices, and snacks (only whiskey was to be charged). [My two young grad kids loved the apple juice and munchies.]The vast bathroom included the most luxurious shower, that, according to my wife, provided multiple shower heads that gave a shower experience to die for. A mechanical shade came down to shut out both light and New York noise.

While I didn't have time to utilize the fitness center, my wife said that it was top rate. I was at the Andaz for a business conference. The Andaz provided the best business conference serivce that I have ever experienced. The staff was uncommonly polite, available, and helpful. The coffee was fresh and excellent, with a server he handled the complex coffee machine. Our working breakfast included smoked salmon, fresh rasberries, and the best granola and fixings that I have ever tasted.

Our Friday night dinner was excellent. When our conference bar only served wine, the bartender swiftly brought a selection of beers for me and my colleagues.

I was reminded of yesteryear, when I would stay at the Connaught in London and the Sacher Hotel in Vienna. Indeed, my room at the Andaz was more functional and luxurious than at either of the five-star hotels and the price far more modest.

My wfie and I are planning to make the Andaz our home away from home.

Keith Wheelock

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 3 December 2011
Dear Philly Traveller 11,

We are very happy that you enjoyed your visit so much - both for business and pleasure.

Thank you for the delightful feedback, and see you and your family next time!

Warm regards,

Connie
Director of Rooms
West Chester, PA
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Andaz turns the check in process on it's head and focuses on personalized service. It starts when you pull up a the curb. A member of their staff greets you at your car, collects your bags, holds the door for you, checks you in, and then escorts you to your room and shows you how to use the various devices in the room. The room was contemporary, spacious and comfortable. Some nice touches include the free (nonalcoholic) refreshments and snacks in the room, the waterfall shower, and the complimentary happy hour(s) in the lobby. The conference center was perfect for our meeting and the staff was outstanding. Finally, it's hard to beat the location, being across the street form the NY Public Library, two blocks from Times Square, and of course, being located on 5th Avenue.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
San Jose, California
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We were quite impressed with the service we received as well as the room we were given. The hotel is conveniently located near 5th Ave and 42nd St. in Manhattan. We were only able to stay one day at the hotel, but look forward to stayig there again the next time we go to NYC.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Perfect location! 5 minutes walk from the best shopping and direct walk to Central Park. Also a very easy journey from JFK. Stylishly decorated with equally stylish staff, they wear black, hold the door for you, don't miss a thing, go out of their way to ensure a perfect stay and they smile (unlike some hotels). We had a studio with floor to ceiling views of Bryant Park via NYC library.... all the city views... but yet silent inside! The room design was stunning... large, light, clean. I loved the huge granite shower with foot bath (perfect for walking the worlds most fun city). The gym is excellent, water and towels provided, cardio and weights... the staff can point you on some great runs up to and around Central Park.

I have stayed in many New York hotels, but this is the one I dream of at night! I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Just ask... no matter what!