“Can't fault this great hotel”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #80 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Just spent 4 nights at the Andaz 5th Avenue and had a fabulous stay...from the minute we walked in to the moment we checked out. Check-in was quick and easy, made even less painless with a complimentary wine while you wait. The staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough for us. Happy hour from 6-9 pm every day, free mini-bar (not including alcohol) and free wifi were all great touches. The room was a good size (large twin), fabulous bathroom and really there was nothing to fault this hotel on. We had breakfast twice in the lobby restaurant. Good food, maybe a little expensive but the atmosphere was chilled and the service was good. Great location across from the library and Bryant Park - not to be missed. Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and hope to be back very soon!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Agri76

Reviewed 28 November 2011

We have just arrived back home after staying 4 nights in the Andaz 5th Ave. This is a fantastic Hotel, with very attentive staff. The complimentary glass of wine (or 2) between 6 is 9 is very nice after a long day sightseeing and shopping! And the free mini bar for soft drinks also a nice touch. Overall we cannot fault the service at the Andaz and hopefully we will have the opportunity to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Perfect location, outstanding customer service, gorgeous room with amazing bathroom, comfiest bed, free mini bar!
I can't rate this hotel any higher, simply perfect! I will never stay anywhere else now whenever I go to New York. Would give it 6 out of 5 of I could. Help to make this the best holiday I've ever been on.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank toolbandphil
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Found this hotel through Expedia and liked the location. Our taxi driver was the worst as it took him 1/2hr to find the hotel as the hotel front door is actually located on Library Way. Location of the hotel itself is great as across from it was Bryan Park and the Library. Shopping close by as well.

The staff were very friendly, responsive and accommodating. I Liked the complementary non-alcoholic beverage and snacks in the hotel room.

I would really recommend anyone to stay at the, "Respire by Hyatt – Hypo-Allergenic Rooms" as I noted that the rooms were cleaner in the bed area more than a regular room. Unfortunately, the staff who took us to our room (Rm 616) did not realize that we had a Respire room and we called host and were able to change to a Respire room swiftly. As we changed to Rm 516, we checked the bed and saw one pillow had some stains (several dark grey-like stains and one brown spot) on it. Called host again and Staff came up and examined the pillow and asked us if we wanted to replace the sheets or change room. We were able to change to another Respire room (Rm 515). In our hotel room, we found no problems with the bed and all. Only thing I did find was a potato chip located by the refrigerator crevasse, which the hotel cleaning staff have missed and I just threw it away.

Overall, would highly recommend this hotel given the series of errors that I have encountered at this hotel as they understood the level of comfort I had. It is more quiet and has a boutique feel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2011

If you are looking for something a bit different in New York then you can't go past Andaz 5th Avenue. This new approach to hotels is a refreshing change from the bigger, less personal ones. A special mention to the hosts that look after you from the minute you step in off the street. The location is great and I loved the complimentary glass of wine at night! We did have a leaking ceiling early one morning - still not sure why, but was assured it was a first for the hotel. The manager dealt with this smoothly and efficiently and we were transferred to another (better) room with minimum of fuss. Well done. Look forward to coming back

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed in the Andaz on our first trip to New York - fantastic rooms with lovely walk in shower. Complimentary mini bar topped up daily is really good when u need water after walking for hours. Excellent location. Down side is the bar which is in the basement and loud and claustrophobic.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 20 November 2011

My experience at the Andaz is reminiscent of when WIZARD OF OZ went from black and white to color. It was magical. The door man who met me was courteous, firiendly and efficient. Then, instead of check in lines, I saw in an antechamber (refreshments available) as a clerk with an iPad came to check me in. She then took me to a room that was tastefully luxurious and modern in a most pleasing manner.

The in-room bar was fully stocked with free refreshments, from beer, juices, and snacks (only whiskey was to be charged). [My two young grad kids loved the apple juice and munchies.]The vast bathroom included the most luxurious shower, that, according to my wife, provided multiple shower heads that gave a shower experience to die for. A mechanical shade came down to shut out both light and New York noise.

While I didn't have time to utilize the fitness center, my wife said that it was top rate. I was at the Andaz for a business conference. The Andaz provided the best business conference serivce that I have ever experienced. The staff was uncommonly polite, available, and helpful. The coffee was fresh and excellent, with a server he handled the complex coffee machine. Our working breakfast included smoked salmon, fresh rasberries, and the best granola and fixings that I have ever tasted.

Our Friday night dinner was excellent. When our conference bar only served wine, the bartender swiftly brought a selection of beers for me and my colleagues.

I was reminded of yesteryear, when I would stay at the Connaught in London and the Sacher Hotel in Vienna. Indeed, my room at the Andaz was more functional and luxurious than at either of the five-star hotels and the price far more modest.

My wfie and I are planning to make the Andaz our home away from home.

Keith Wheelock

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Dear Philly Traveller 11,

We are very happy that you enjoyed your visit so much - both for business and pleasure.

Thank you for the delightful feedback, and see you and your family next time!

Warm regards,