“New York's newest insitution”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #84 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We had our third stay at the Andaz over the weekend, and cannot imagine staying anywhere else in NYC. We arrived at noon and they offered us beverages and a free bag check while we waited for the room, as well as a cell phone call as soon as it was ready a short while later.

The rooms are HUGE by New York standards, and most impressively, you aren't nickeled and dimed. The internet is free, the minibar is free, and the happy hour is free! Amazing.

Everyone on the staff has gone out of their way to help us and provide us with great recommendations, and the location is great - a short walk to just about anywhere. Having stayed in several Manhattan hotels, there is no question where I'll be on future stays.

Room Tip: If you pick the rate with free breakfast, you can use it in the restaurant or on room service with n...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank michael p
There are newer reviews for Andaz 5th Avenue

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Wonderful hotel, very clean, friendly, courteous staff, comfy bed. Will be staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We were recently in NYC for a leisure trip. We loved the Andaz - our "home" base! The hosts were fantastic! They never made us feel as if we were imposing. Everyone was quick to help in whatever way they could. The free mini-bar helped after our late nights out. The room was beautiful and modern. Loved the shower! And the convenient location made it so easy to get wherever we needed to go. We'll definitely stay here the next time we come to the city!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Dear Melissa H,
Thank you for making us your home in New York! We are looking forward to seeing you again!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 6 February 2012

This was our first visit to New York City. Upon arriving at the ANDAZ we were promptly greeted and welcomed with a beverage while our room was being prepared. We did arrive a bit early. We exchanged pleasantries with the staff and they were all nice and didnt make us feel as though we were a bother. They pointed us in the right direction for our various tourist attractions and got us cabs. Everytime we went through the lobby they said hello, remembered our names and asked if there was anything they could help us with. As a small business owner I was extrememly impressed by their customer service. The hotel itself was in a great location, had lots of cool things going on and will definitely be my home while in NYC on my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank t j

Dear tj,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am particularly glad that you enjoyed our customer service, and am grateful for your business.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 February 2012

A great modern hotel in such a convenient position. Ask for a room above the Public Library for some superb views.
Huge room, beautiful bathroom (although I did miss a bath but the room was so good I coped!), free wifi, free mini bar (minus alchohol.) Loved this hotel and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a view room above the public library.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2012

From the smooth check in where you get assigned a host/hostess to show you your room, to the free wine in the lobby between 6-9 daily this hotel is all about customer service. I loved the rooms, very comfortable bed and roomy bathrooms with luxury 3 way showers. It's all about the little extras for me such as the free soft drink mini bar, free wi-fi and lovely little chocolates and crisps treats left daily in the room. Not expected but makes you feel looked after. Location was great as well, right opposite the NY public library (btw very worth a visit it's a wonderful building) at Bryant park. I stayed with a group who all come to NY regularly and we all agreed it was the best hotel stay to date. Last thing worth mentioning is the food, I had room service, ate in the main restaurant and in the down stairs cellar bar and had great food at all 3 times. Can't wait to be back in NY and stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Title: An Interesting Option in NYC

My wife and I visit NYC often, and stayed here for 3 nights in a Splash Suite last summer. In short, the hotel offers a good-to-excellent hard product, a decent (but touristy) location, and mediocre service. I have seen some other reviews here call this a luxury hotel and I must disagree, but I don't think that is what they were going for here anyway. A little more detail:

Room:
The Splash Suite offers an enormous amount of space for your money in NYC, but it is marred by bizarre design choices. It features a large living area, a very large bathroom with freestanding soaking tub, tons of storage, and a spacious bedroom. I found the furniture to be a case of form over function, and the bathroom poorly lit and oddly short on doors. The shower was huge but the lack of door made what should have been very welcoming instead cold and annoying. The room description said the room offered a view of the Empire State Building from the tub but because of the low floor our view from the bathroom looked across 41st at another building. The bedroom windows looked over the library which was fun, albeit noisy due again to our low floor. Automatic blinds were handy but could not control individually.

Restaurant:
Not much to say here as we only had breakfast once here. It was solid food with decent service and high prices, as one would expect.

Location:
I'm sure many would love the location but I found it to be just OK. We avoid the tourist traps and pseudo-malls like 5th ave, and prefer proximity to major subway stations.

Service:
The room was booked online directly with the hotel, and I have no status with Hyatt. As it was a special occasion (we were returning from Asia on our honeymoon), I mentioned this as well as a request for a higher floor. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a host who lamented that our higher floor preference could not be met. He took us to our room, showed us around, and then left without giving us our key cards, which we had to go downstairs and retrieve. Came back one afternoon to find a pile of soaking wet towels and wet shoe prints all over the bathroom, looked like a leak from the ceiling? Otherwise very little to report, as we are light users of hotel services in NYC, preferring to be out and about.

Bottom Line:
The hard product here could be great with some furniture/lighting/bathroom fixes, but now it just feels like a big room with some odd design decisions. The giant soaking tub is great but I don't book hotels based solely on tubs! The soft product is spotty but passable by NYC standards. As I said earlier, I cannot call this a luxury hotel because of the lightweight service, but I think it is a mistake to expect those standards here in the first place. I'm glad to see another promising property in NYC, and I look forward to returning in the future to see how the place has matured.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bubb1

Dear bubb1,

Thank you sincerely for giving us a try last summer! We really appreciate your feedback.

Although we have gotten many compliments, I admit that our design is not for everyone, and appreciate your posting pictures so that our guests can decide for themselves and choose the best option!

I sincerely apologize for our forgetting your keys and the towels in your bathroom. We believe detailed, caring hospitality is our standard, and we completely missed the mark in these two instances.

You mentioned that you travel to New York often and would try our hotel again. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of assistance, and we will make sure you have a wonderful stay!

Warm Regards,