“Rough patch, but turned out great”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #94 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Istanbul
“Rough patch, but turned out great”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Despite a few bad experiences I would say most of the staff here are great and staying here can be a terrific experience. The hotel is very nice and modern. There are lots of little touches that set it apart, like providing free beverages when you arrive, free beverages and snacks in your room, and a free wine happy hour in the evenings. The restaurant was very good, with very good service. The location is also very central near the library and Bryant Park.

Our check in was great. We arrived about noon and our room was not ready. We were given coffee and sparkling water while bags were checked in. Kelly took great care of us. Later Amy brought us to our room and also took great care of us. The room was larger, modern with a lounge couch, with a slight view of the Library down the street, but near the elevators. It seemed like a nice modern styled room, which we like. Then night time came. I could hear a high pitched noise from behind the walls that had been covered up by New York traffic during the day. And the noise was even worse deeper in the room and bathroom, away from the windows. I took my Ambient sleeping pill to try and block it out, but only got about four hours sleep and woke up to a splitting headache from the noise. Since we were staying three nights, I asked my husband to talk to the front desk about moving us to a new room. He was told the hotel was full and that they would send up an 'engineer' to look at the problem. Unless they were going to break through walls, I knew the problem could not be fixed by a handyman they would send up. I checked on Hyatt's website and found out they had lied to my husband because the hotel was not full. Next we both went down to the front desk to confront the man (sorry don't know his name) about the dishonesty and to let him know this problem was beyond a handyman repair problem. As I was trying to express my thoughts about the situation he kept saying 'I hear what you are saying, I hear what you are saying' which could not be true because he kept interrupting me and cutting me off from trying to tell him what I was saying. Finally he left and Kelly, the great and very professional lady who checked us in, came and took care of everything. She didn't question our need to move, tell us it was an engineering problem, lie about the hotel being full, or argue with us in any way. She just very gracefully took care of the problem. While we went out and enjoyed the day, she had our bags moved to another room (no high pitched noise, away from the elevators) and she also had a complementary bottle of champagne sent up. Kelly took a very bad situation that would have had us checking out of the hotel that day, and turned the rest of our stay into a wonderful experience. Instead of us being upset about the bad room and poor treatment, we instead had a very nice stay thanks to her. She is a real asset to the hotel, very professional and personable.

Regarding the staff and the wine happy hour, it is also spotty. Our first night, (Thursday Sept 27th), a lady was working the happy hour area. She saw us come in but she was having a conversation with a customer (about the California coast) so we sat there for over 10 minutes without any acknowledgement we were there. Finally my husband went into the lobby to ask for assistance and Amy, the nice and professional lady who took us to our room, came in and served us wine. The the lady who left us waiting for service gave us dirty looks after this, like we had done something wrong. The next night however, we went to the wine happy hour and received excellent service from a very friendly man. He was three times busier than the lady from the night before but was giving everyone great friendly service.

Our waiter in the restaurant was also very good, professional, friendly and efficient. It was nice having a very good restaurant in the hotel, especially after exhausting days in New York.

This is a very good hotel with good amenities, some great service and some poor service. It is the extremes that can make it unpleasant. That said, when it works the hotel is a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grantm04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2012

then it's luxury you will find here.

This hotel exemplifies everything you want in a luxury hotel. We stayed in the splash suite and it was worth every single penny. What a view! Overlooking the library, this room is simply stunning. My only complaint is that I had to leave!!

The beds are ridiculously comfortable. The room service was outstanding - I have never had HOT toast delivered to the room - it's kind of expected that by the time it gets to your room it will be luke warm at best - but the food here is exceptional and piping hot and delicious!

The staff are attentive, personable and very friendly. Nothing is too much trouble and my particular thanks go to John Donato for being so welcoming.

There is nothing run down or dodgy about this hotel - from the decor to the location to the complimentary internet - this hotel should be your first choice. And if you can go the splash suite - do it!

Room Tip: Splash suite all the way!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2012

This time I visited end of July and decided to upgrade to the Splash suite. Re: special occasion, girlfriend from college, friends visiting at the same time, etc. Definitely a splurge but boy was it worth it! The room is breath taking......huge. Larger than most manhattan millionaires' condos....seriously. The couch in the main living area could accommodate 5 to 6 people easily, and of course there was a work area and other sitting chairs. The bedroom was on the far opposite end of the suite, separated by the bath area; there was a great view of the NY public library and the room was relatively large...flat screen & corner love seat. As for the bath area, it was amazing. It had the same modern, gorgeous shower found in the other andaz rooms, and of course a large soaking tub in the center room surrounded by two huge closets. My overall impression: phenomenal. However, be sure to lower the blinds depending on how much of an exhibitionist you are:)

Room Tip: splash suite = splurge!!!! trying to impress, enjoy excess, special occasion; more room than you wil...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Richland, Michigan
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I liked the Andaz hotel... very contempory room with touch pad controls for lights, shades, etc... not fancy, but somewhat chic/modern. The shower required a personal tutorial with 3 modes... foot bath, rain shower and hand shower. I liked how the non-alchoholic mini bar items and internet are included... I don't like to be nickle and dimed in a nice hotel... just bake it into the price. Also liked the wine hour in the evening -- nice touch before you go to dinner. The bed was good -- soft comforter, plenty of pillows... pretty firm. I was also there for an all day meeting... the space was good and the luncheon was well done. Location was good -- in the heart, but not too busy. I would recommend it/ go back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel the other night to attend a wedding at the NY Public Library which is directly across the street. We had an amazing view of midtown Manhattan and, in particular, the library. The lobby of the hotel is small and has a residential and very welcoming feel to it. The staff is amazing - they can't do enough for the guests. I highly recommend a stay at the Andaz at least once for the view alone! We ate brunch in the hotel on Sunday morning, mostly for convenience. The food was good but there are better places (and less expensive places) if you are willing to venture out of the midtown area. I was advised to ask for a king room with a view for the next time to assure the fantastic view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. The 14th Floor suite was unbelievable.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Mumbai
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Selecting a hotel in New York is always a challenge - mostly old properties, insanely expensive, smallish rooms and most top recommendations on TA are around Times Square (not necessarily a bad thing, but some may not like living there).

Andaz is a welcome change!

Getting there / location
-----------------------------
Its right on Fifth Ave, opposite the NY library. So not very busy, but still very centrally located (on 5th, close to Grand Central, we also walked it to Penn Station - though you may be better off taking a cab).

Check-in
-----------
Very quick. It doesn't have much of a lobby, but frankly I rather have large rooms than large common areas.

Rooms
---------
We were two couples with a kid each, so we got the 2BR suite, which is highly recommended. It cheaper than getting two rooms, and its HUGE. Two nice rooms, with views of the library, empire state, and huge living room with TV etc and dining area. Very sweet!

Room service
------------------
Quick and efficient. They also have free internet and also restock the room bar with non-alco beverages and some snacks twice a day for free. All of these expenses would other wise add up, so factor this in mind which comparing room rates across hotels.

Also, best to book via the Hyatt website. You may get some sweet deals.

The summary is that its a great hotel. It is a new property, which means everything is new, its well located and has good service. Plus you earn Hyatt points!

Highly recommended

Room Tip: Higher floor and ask for views.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I'm quite surprised that this hotel is one of the top-ranked in New-York on Tripadvisor. The only good thing about it is the location. It's perfect - you are in the heart of Manhattan and at the same time the area is not as overcrowded and dirty as Times Square for instance. However, it's the only good thing I can say about this hotel.

The lady who met us at the reception tried to be friendly, however as far as I understood she was just a replacement since they were understaffed. And of course, she didn't know the breakfast time and some other details, but that's fine. At least she tried to be nice. Even though we arrived at 4 pm, they didn't prepare the room and after 10 hour flight we had to wait before they cleaned it up and filled the minibar. The room itself was probably the biggest disappointment. Since I'm a diamond member with Hyatt, I usually get very nice rooms, when I stay at their hotels. They state that they will give you the "best room available" However, at Andaz they gave me most likely one of the worst. It was very small, with a view on an ugly inner court and worn-out furniture.

On top of it, most of the waiters at the restaurant on the ground floor are rude and unhelpful. Even though they can easily charge up to $200 per person for dinner, the quality of service is not there. And also on the next day after I checked out, I received a text from my bank saying that you card was charged for $75 by Andaz hotel. When I gave them a call, they told me that it was for breakfast on our last day. And they were genuinely surprised when I told them that breakfast is always complimentary for diamond members. So I had to wait for another week before I received my money back. And of course no one apologised for that.

So overall it was very poor experience and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: Rooms at some other hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank AntonLysenko
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Dear AntonLysenko,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience! This is certainly not the type of service you expect when you stay at our hotel, and I have sent you a message so that I can find out more details and make things right. Thank you for your feedback.

Warm regards,