“Great experience”

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #77 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Very modern decor, great location. We had one of the suites with a little balcony. Bathroom was great but I wish they would have a soaking tub instead of a huge shower. After walking in the city all day long, a soaking tub would be good.

Breakfast was top notch...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Turquoise2010

Reviewed 9 October 2012

From the moment you walk through the door you realise this is not your average out of the box hotel. We were warmly welcomed on arrival and given a coffee while checking in! The staff were knowledgable and efficient. Our room was stunning, with massive floor to ceiling windows looking straight on to the New York State Library. All the little things have been thought of and the location is fabulous. Will definitely be back to stay in the future if we are lucky.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole C
Reviewed 8 October 2012

A little pricey but well worth it. Absolutely no complaints with the room. Bathroom setup was top knotch.

We really appreciated the location. With the Fifth to Madison block being short, it was a short walk to readily catch a cab uptown(on Madison) or downtown(on Fifth). We found 'Essen, A NYC quick restaurant around the corner on Madison a great place to grab a cheap and healthy bite to eat on our way out for the day.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The last time I was in NYC I stayed at the Andaz Wall. My experience there was not the best. This time I was again booked to stayed at the Wall St. location as I wanted to give the hotel a final try. However most of my meetings turned out to be in mid town and so I requested the Andaz Reservations Manager if she could transfer my booking to the 5th Ave location. She obliged immediately and also managed for them to honor my rate at Wall St. So this was already a good start.

The hotel is pretty funky with an apartment feeling when you enter into the lobby. It is supposed to be a casual look with a relaxed attitude hotel. The hotel had upgraded me to a king room with the 5th ave view. I could see the NY Public library just outside my window.

The room is HUGE as per NY standards. The ceiling was 12-14 feet giving it an even larger feel. The room was a bit sparsely furnitured but that was by design to give the room a larger feel and look. And hey, who goes to NYC and stays in the room? The bathroom also had very good amenities. Free wifi. Free bottles of water and free minibar.

If you can get a room at Andaz 5th within 450 per night, its a steal and well worth it. I will surely be visiting them again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2012

The Andaz on 5th and 41st is an enjoyable stay. We had a 2 bedroom apartment which worked well for the 4 of us. Overall experience was very good, they do need to get their shower heads looked at - we had 2 bathrooms and both wall mounted showers were falling off- bad design, but also had foot bath and rain showers and they were great. Room snacks and non alcoholic drinks were included as were drinks at night in the reception area. Staff were friendly and helpful and location is good close to most things

Room Tip: Street noise can be an issue - we have the white noise app on our iPads that we played at might, so...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Despite a few bad experiences I would say most of the staff here are great and staying here can be a terrific experience. The hotel is very nice and modern. There are lots of little touches that set it apart, like providing free beverages when you arrive, free beverages and snacks in your room, and a free wine happy hour in the evenings. The restaurant was very good, with very good service. The location is also very central near the library and Bryant Park.

Our check in was great. We arrived about noon and our room was not ready. We were given coffee and sparkling water while bags were checked in. Kelly took great care of us. Later Amy brought us to our room and also took great care of us. The room was larger, modern with a lounge couch, with a slight view of the Library down the street, but near the elevators. It seemed like a nice modern styled room, which we like. Then night time came. I could hear a high pitched noise from behind the walls that had been covered up by New York traffic during the day. And the noise was even worse deeper in the room and bathroom, away from the windows. I took my Ambient sleeping pill to try and block it out, but only got about four hours sleep and woke up to a splitting headache from the noise. Since we were staying three nights, I asked my husband to talk to the front desk about moving us to a new room. He was told the hotel was full and that they would send up an 'engineer' to look at the problem. Unless they were going to break through walls, I knew the problem could not be fixed by a handyman they would send up. I checked on Hyatt's website and found out they had lied to my husband because the hotel was not full. Next we both went down to the front desk to confront the man (sorry don't know his name) about the dishonesty and to let him know this problem was beyond a handyman repair problem. As I was trying to express my thoughts about the situation he kept saying 'I hear what you are saying, I hear what you are saying' which could not be true because he kept interrupting me and cutting me off from trying to tell him what I was saying. Finally he left and Kelly, the great and very professional lady who checked us in, came and took care of everything. She didn't question our need to move, tell us it was an engineering problem, lie about the hotel being full, or argue with us in any way. She just very gracefully took care of the problem. While we went out and enjoyed the day, she had our bags moved to another room (no high pitched noise, away from the elevators) and she also had a complementary bottle of champagne sent up. Kelly took a very bad situation that would have had us checking out of the hotel that day, and turned the rest of our stay into a wonderful experience. Instead of us being upset about the bad room and poor treatment, we instead had a very nice stay thanks to her. She is a real asset to the hotel, very professional and personable.

Regarding the staff and the wine happy hour, it is also spotty. Our first night, (Thursday Sept 27th), a lady was working the happy hour area. She saw us come in but she was having a conversation with a customer (about the California coast) so we sat there for over 10 minutes without any acknowledgement we were there. Finally my husband went into the lobby to ask for assistance and Amy, the nice and professional lady who took us to our room, came in and served us wine. The the lady who left us waiting for service gave us dirty looks after this, like we had done something wrong. The next night however, we went to the wine happy hour and received excellent service from a very friendly man. He was three times busier than the lady from the night before but was giving everyone great friendly service.

Our waiter in the restaurant was also very good, professional, friendly and efficient. It was nice having a very good restaurant in the hotel, especially after exhausting days in New York.

This is a very good hotel with good amenities, some great service and some poor service. It is the extremes that can make it unpleasant. That said, when it works the hotel is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grantm04
Reviewed 4 October 2012

then it's luxury you will find here.

This hotel exemplifies everything you want in a luxury hotel. We stayed in the splash suite and it was worth every single penny. What a view! Overlooking the library, this room is simply stunning. My only complaint is that I had to leave!!

The beds are ridiculously comfortable. The room service was outstanding - I have never had HOT toast delivered to the room - it's kind of expected that by the time it gets to your room it will be luke warm at best - but the food here is exceptional and piping hot and delicious!

The staff are attentive, personable and very friendly. Nothing is too much trouble and my particular thanks go to John Donato for being so welcoming.

There is nothing run down or dodgy about this hotel - from the decor to the location to the complimentary internet - this hotel should be your first choice. And if you can go the splash suite - do it!

Room Tip: Splash suite all the way!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple