“Lovely”

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #87 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Very modern hotel interior and very clean and comfortable with many wonderful ammenities. The location is not great unless you like being close to the train station and library but it is so easy to get around New York CIty that this does not pose a problem. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,589)

Reviewed 29 November 2012

This hotel was a great location- corner of 5th Ave and 42nd st.It was very modern, but didn't seem slick in the service side of things, the front office people werent as attentive or as friendly as what we expected.
The room we stayed in was okay although compared to the other hotel we stayed at in NYC lacked many extras. The minibar was so basic it was almost a joke, no water by the bed, the bed wasn't that comfortable-the room just lacked detail.
For what we paid it wasn;t good value for money in our view. Not what would be expected of a Hyatt Hotel.
We would only stay here again if the room rate was a good deal as we paid similar rates at other hotels in NYC and received so much more.
I would recommend this hotel if you were wanting to be in the thick of the shopping frenzy, then this would be a good choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank weenjoyhotels
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed here on a recent trip to NYC. The location was great - very central for shopping and close enough to central park.
The restaurant is great for breakfast and the rooms are a nice size, we stayed in a suite.
The downside about the hotel is that it seems to be understaffed and the service is patchy.
The service in the restaurant was excellent, but the concierge service was rough, check in was poor. When we arrived at the hotel it was like being in a bus terminal as there were bags and people all over the place.
Not bad if you can get a good rate - but not at the top of my list.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank global_nomad_pacific
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Stayed Thanksgiving weekend in a large suite. Property is very nice, trendy and clean. The room was good sized and the balcony was a great feature. Bed was comfortable and was very quiet at night. Large spacious bathroom was also very nice. The lighting could have been improved in the closet areas but the touch button controls were unique and easy to use.

Cons: Couple of small issues could be corrected to have made this a much better stay. The hot water in the shower was very hit or miss (often too hot or too cold), the free mini bar was a nice touch but the beer was never restocked after our first night, we took a house car to a Broadway show and the driver didn't know where it was (despite being only a few blocks away and costing $40), we weren't provided a comforter and pillows for the pull out bed until the second night. Closet space was a bit limited in the bedroom. Door man was non existent at the main entrance, which was puzzling for a such an expensive and trendy hotel.

Pros: After reading the check in reviews I was a bit nervous, but our went smoothly. I used the web check in earlier in the day and was greeted promptly when we arrived. A porter took our luggage, brought us right to the room and explained the amenities to us. I will note that we didn't check in until 8:30pm so it was rather slow in the lobby area. After leaving my keys in the room 3 times, I was given replacement keys each time with a courteous smile. The location of the hotel is excellent. Just a short walk to Bryant Park, Time Sq., Rockefeller Center, Broadway and plenty of excellent shopping. Breakfast is good but expensive. I expected this for room service in NYC so it wasn't an issue.

Overall a good stay. The hotel itself was very nice, service seemed to be the main issue. For the price I feel we could do better on our next stay in the city.

Room Tip: Room 1101 (large suite) or 1104 should be your choice. They are on the 11th floor with a large ter...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicholas B
Reviewed 20 November 2012

It's a boutique hotel with only a handful of rooms on each floor and really quiet. Has an amazing shower in the bathroom and all the amenities at an Andaz. Location is great, you can walk to most places except soho and the village. So much better than the W

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Cardinalbeagle
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Our stay at the Andaz did not start well, taxi driver could not find the hotel due to poor signage and cars double parked by the hotel entrance. Once inside, it was not clear where we had to wait as reception area was not obvious and we had to wait 5 minutes before staff appeared. Once checked in we could not open our room door only to find that we had been given the wrong room.
Why have I awarded the Andaz such a high rating you may ask? Well, once the room issue was resolved the hotel staff were very attentive and efficient. We liked our room, especially the bathroom, my only critisism is with the glass wardrobes, not because they were see through, they were just not big enough to store clothing for two people staying 5 days. Loved the shower, the room size, free non-alcoholic mini-bar, and the high ceilings.
Breakfast was superb, we ate everyday, although tended to have lunch & dinner outside of the hotel. Liked the complimentary wine off the reception area at happy hour.
So, besides our first 20 minutes at the hotel, the rest of the time was great.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AvidTraveler12
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This was a decent hotel, but for the price I paid, it needs to improve. The problems I had with the hotel are the same problems many reviewers have noted, which concerns me since they don't appear to be being addressed. I'll start with the cons (problem areas): 1) Check-in in has major issues - I initially attempted to check in at 11 am, there was no room available so they took our bags and told us to come back. They said they would work on getting us a high room as I requested. I ended up getting a room on the 4th floor...not high in my book, but I'm assuming it is the highest they had available. Anyhow, they called at around 4 to let me know my room was ready. We came back in the early evening to check in and that is when things took a turn. Check in was chaotic despite the fact that there was only one other couple checking in at the same time. The young man asked us for our name, handed us our key and that was it. No description of the property or amenities, no maps or questions about why we were visiting, no introduction or mention of the concierge, no offer to help us with our bags, nothing. The whole ordeal was a bit cold and unprofessional. 2) The staff is very young and trendy, which fits the hotel vibe, and always smile, but there is just a warmth that is missing. There also seems to be a real lack of organization. The staff always seem to be running around, but not necessarily helping you when you need it. Out of the three days we were there, a staff member opened the front door for us 1 time. That is unacceptable when I am paying $400 a night. I highly recommend management start instituting stations that people must man at all times instead of running around frantically. A person at the front door at all times and a person at the check-in desk at all times is a must. 3) No closet space. The hotel is trendy, I get it and I've stayed at other hotels with similar concepts, but none with this little storage space. No drawers and only a tiny glass closet space to hang a few item and 4) the bed was ok, definitely not the comfiest I've ever slept in.

Pros: Room was very, very clean and the view of the public library was nice. The minibar in the room was a nice touch since it offered free snacks and non-alcoholic drinks. The room was quiet despite facing 5th avenue. Location was awesome.

I stay in NYC at least 2x a year and I doubt I will be going back to this hotel. For the $ I think there are better options with more personal service. If it works out the kinks, I think ti would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank lovevacas
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2012

Dear lovevacas,

I am truly embarrassed that your arrival was disorganized. It is very important that we make sure our door greeter is present to direct and welcome all of our guests, even though it is true we have a "different" check-in than most other hotels. One of the aspects we focus on is spending more time with our guests than is typically expected - with an escort to the room for our first time arrivals, hotel and amenity explanation, and personal recommendations for the city. It is truly unacceptable that you did not receive this, and it affected your entire stay. I have contacted you directly to ensure you feel the value of choosing our hotel, and would like to invite you back for another night. Despite our modern decor, our team strives to provide old-fashioned warm and authentic service. Thank you again for a second chance!

Warm regards,