“Too good to be true!”

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #81 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Just returned from a weekend trip to NYC. We stayed at the Andaz Fifth Ave. and it was the highlight of our trip. Everything from check-in to checkout exceeded our expectations. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. We had two rooms - a loft and a suite - both of which were quite large (for NYC standards), modern and comfortable. The hotel is a perfect location to grand central, subway lines and shopping. It's also a short walk to tourist spots such as empire state, times square, Rockefeller Center and central park. Complimentary water, juice and soda in the room were an extremely nice touch, as was coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. We will be back every trip to NYC - thank you Andaz!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 January 2013

I was traveling on business after CES. I had the flu (yes I know I should have stayed home). I got to the hotel left my things and went to work. I got back and was in horrible shape. I could not speak (no voice), high fever, the works! I got to my room and they sent me up chicken soup (the most amazing) and this special tea (OMG INCREDIBLE)! I could not get out of bed the next day. I had them bring me up the soup and tea repeatedly. They kept calling to check up on me and make sure I was doing well. The service is amazing and the staff is wonderful! The food is great! Lots of choices. Located on 5th across the street from the library, close to shopping and anything in the city. The property is not huge so you don't get lost in the shuffle. The rooms are gorgeous and beds are VERY comfortable. They have free beverages in room (water, tea, soda), spacious rooms, fabulous food (yes I am a foodie), restaurant and bar. The rooms have bath robes and slippers (memory foam). I love this place!!!

Room Tip: Log into Hyatt.com and make sure you join their rewards program!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Geekontherun
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Yes, it's beautiful, esp the bathrooms. Also, the rooms are massive and clean. Read the other reviews for accolades, here are my complaints about this hotel:

Although beautiful, the bathrooms aren't very functional. One reviewer mentioned that women may have a hard time putting on make up at the darkly lit sink area, but as a guy, shaving was no easy feat.

The sink is a rectangular bowl, and the faucet protrudes right over the center--it is absolutely impossible to do anything aside from washing your hands without splashing water everywhere--and I mean all over the counter, yourself, the hardwood floors...

The toilet is closed off by a typical shower stall door--no actual door = no privacy.

Yes, I know how amazing the black tiles are in the shower--but I didn't like stepping on the black tiles wondering whether or not I was stepping on mold.

Window view to the tub/shower from the bedroom has never made sense to me; they do this at the Standard Hotel as well. Definitely don't stay here with family or friends.

Overall, nothing irks me more than when designers or engineers choose form over function. Aiming only for aesthetics is downright lazy.

Even though this was probably one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at, I probably wouldn't stay here again, especially not over a weekend in NYC as the hotel is not very central.

Oh btw, the 14th floor is actually the 13th floor.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank pinkfreud
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I booked this hotel through hayatt group and to be honest i was expecting a huge hotel. it is more like a boutique hotel but bigger. at first i was doubtful ( if you check my reviews you can see i am hayatt fan ) but right away i fell in love with atmosphere and the Hosts.
The rooms are spacious for new york and you have a complementary mini bar which was great. the rooms are clean and the bathroom and shower area are reallly nice. The location is perfect, right on fifth ave and just 2 blocks from time square.
The staff are amazing, most of them are really friendly, they are ready to help and offer the best places to go.
However, one day before check out i found out that i was double charged for part of my stay. i talked to morghan the manager in charge and she reallly tried to solve the problem. she was on the phone with my bank and their ppl for 2 hours to sort out the problem. she even waited almost aweek after my check out to make sure all amounts are refunded to my account and then charged me for my stay. I did really feel at home, and i have all those guys and girls to thank :-)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Staff is great.
Location is wonderful.
Rooms are stylish and relatively big.
The place is luxurious, modern, cool and at the same time warm.
Absolutely value for money (considering alla the above and the fact you are in NY).
I can hardly think of a negative aspect.
Did I say that staff is GREAT?
Trust me and go ahead... best hotel in NY!

Room Tip: Lare with view
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I would give more than excellent for Andaz 5th Avenue hotel. This hotel offers comfort, space, perfect location, professional tail-made hospitality services, outstanding in room services, beautiful hotel decor and delicious food (divine). I have stayed in this hotel since 2010 (winter, spring and summer). Totally 7 times. Most of the time they upgraded me to the Splash Suite and I love it! I also stay in the standard room and one bed room with balcony. All very nice!

When I arrive the hotel front door. The staff look so cool at the front door. All in black uniform and look very smart. They would sincerely ask if I stay in this hotel then help me with my car and luggages at the same time. Then they ask me if can get me any drink (red/white wine or tea, coffee or water) Free of charge. This hotel lobby is different to traditional hotel. Instead there is an island desk for check in/out. There is also a library on the right for guest to chill out. The main of the hotel decor consists lot of wood and stone, it gives an earthy modern cosy feeling. It seems the hotel is full house most of the time. So they have try their best to give me the room as soon as possible when it's ready between 3-5pm. But that's ok. I can walk around and do a little shopping because the hotel is right on 5th Avenue. After they sent up my luggages to my room, i have also received a welcome card hand written by the General Manager and a bottle of wine and apple pie. This little gesture were free of charge, made me feel warm and priceless compare to other hotel like W Hotel, they only give me a computer letter. I guess that's the different between Hyatt Diamond and SPG platinum.

Location is perfect for shopperholic like me. It's about 1 mins walk to Grand Central station, across the road it's underground metro, 10 mins walk to most of the major fashion store (Hollister, A&F, Apple, Prada. Korean town, Central Park and boardway times square. Taxi only cost around USD 6-10 one way. But remember to tip a dollar to the taxi driver.

Back to the hotel room. I was surprised the Splash Suite is huge! I couldn't believe there is such huge room in New York! Amazing, stunning and I was speechless the first time I walk in! It is worth to spend money in this hotel. The room is extremely spacious, very tall ceiling, six huge windows over looking the library, 5th Av and Empire building from the bedroom. The living room area has a 42' flat TV mounted on the wall, a huge modern fabric sofa, coffee table, very long working desk with a leather chair on a very clean carpet. There is a cloth rack at the entry. I love the free mini bar offers chip, healthy bar, free soft drinks, water, and my favourite Martinelli's apple juice. They refill everyday. As for a the bathroom, there is a huge white marble bathtub stand right in the middle, lot of storage for luggages and my cloths. The floor is black grey tiles. There are two sliver sinks with a big mirror, rain shower, a stone tub for my feet. The bath amenity are famous COBIGELOW (body lotion, soap, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and bath salt). Keep walking into the room, a very comfortable Hyatt King bed, soft white sheet, Geneva mini hifi, portable TV on the wall and a small couch. All window blind and lights are control by soft touch electric. The air con control is separate from living room and bedroom. So you can adjust the temperature easily and it's very quiet. All decor and equipment are nicely done and the craftsmanships were made beautifully. The staff was actually came up to my room and show me the room every time. They are very helpful and friendly. Since I don't live in the States, I don't really know where to eat. There is a staff specialist can tell you where to eat. Once when i check in, I have ordered a birthday cake and book a table 'in the Shop' for my friend's birthday dinner. The cake was delicious and the food were very nice. Services were great.

As for morning breakfast. It's not a traditional buffet like other big chain hotel with full of hotel guests. You have option to have it in your room or downstair in the Shop. I remember you can order up to USD 35 worth items from the menu. That's more than enough for me because I've only ordered fresh juice, ham, egg, sausage fruits salad and toast and still not over 35. The portion is big and every item was freshly made to order. I usually have the breakfast in my room because I like privacy. Andaz 5th focus on services and always bring you the best they can. I only need to wait about 20 mins for in room breakfast. That's fast!

Lunch is always fully booked. I must call one day before at least. I love their signature tomatoes soup and grill pork chop. Highly recommend. The shop is very cosy and busy during lunch time. There is also a bar downstair below the lobby. It's fully packed during happy hour, Friday night and Saturday night. Full of professional, young businessman and fashion victims. They all look very classy. It is one of the places you must check out in New York.

All of the housekeepers are very friendly and well maintain the room clean. Every day after I return from lunch. The room is done! They also offer a turn down service and replace the towels during the day.

I asked for late check out at 3pm. My car is already waiting for me outside the hotel.

One major special beauty when you stay in Andaz 5th. The staff can remember your name whenever they see you and chat with you about your day. Their memories are amazing. Overall my Andaz on 5th Avenue were excellent. As I can see all the reviews here about Andaz 99.9% are excellent. I can't find other hotel better than Andaz 5th. I am going there for Valentine's day weekend in few week.

Thank you very much for Andaz team look after me very well on every stays. I love you all!

Alex CY Wong

Room Tip: Recommend Splash Suites or balcony room. All other standard room is big too.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2013

My first impression of the Andaz was very positive. The location by Bryant Park is great and the rooms are fantastic. I was prepared to make this my go to hotel for trips to Midtown. Then, I needed to use the business center. I've grown accustomed to lousy business centers that charge exorbitant fees for the privilege of making a few copies or printing a documents. The Andaz didn't do that. They simply did not have a business center. I was directed to a single lap top that sat in the lobby for guests to use. No charge, which was nice. You do, however, have to wait for whoever is browsing before you to stop. And, if you want to print more than 8 pages, you're out of luck. While nice, the front desk staff were not prepared or able to handle larger print jobs or other ordinary business needs like faxing and shipping and treated these requests as unusual (which they may be at this hotel). While I would return to the Andaz for a vacation, for any work trip where I may need a business center I will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business