“Loved this hotel and plan to go back!”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #84 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My mother and I stayed here with my two young daughters for our annual Christmas trip to NYC.
We loved it. Our view was magnificent -- huge windows looking out onto the NYC Public Library. The design of the room was beautiful and there was plenty of room for the four of us. Our room had two double beds, large bathroom and was the loft style. A nice bonus was that everything in the minibar (except alcohol) was complimentary! We enjoyed this after coming home from a full day walking through the city. The location was excellent as our trip consisted of Christmas-y activities: plays, the Rockettes, the Christmas tree, Macy's storefront, Science Museum, etc. Most notably, the staff was wonderful. They were so welcoming and charming and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and happy. I would highly recommend this hotel and am planning to go back later this month with my husband for a weekend in the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rebecca F
Cornelia S, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Rebecca F,

Happy New Year! Thank you for the fantastic review. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your time in NYC! Christmas is such a great time to be in the city.
We look forward to hosting you & your husband soon.

My very best,
Cornelia Samara

There are newer reviews for Andaz 5th Avenue

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I traveled here recently to see NYC with my significant other all dressed up for the holidays. I hadn't been for some time, and she has never been - in my search for one of the best hotels in NYC we found ourselves at the Andaz 5th Ave. Located in pretty much the absolute best location in NYC for tourists, we first had a little difficulty finding the entrance as it was not on 5th as you'd imagine (that was reserved for the hotels restaurant) and very small/subtle. Once inside we found it very odd not to have a front desk and there was a little confusion on where the "line" was and who to help next check-in. We did get checked in though in a timely manner and was able to get into our room quite early. The rooms were magnificent, nice and big, very modern and simple.

The next day I stopped by the "front desk" and asked a host for something to be delivered to the room - she said she would be right on it. I came back to my room 4 hours later, still wasn't delivered. Apparently she was not on top of it. Had to ask another host who apologized profusely and gave it to me right away and said he would send additional up right away as well. All in all we did have an enjoyable two night stay due to the location and room, despite the inconsistent service, but would never stay again due to value. I'm sorry but the going rate when I was there was $750/night and it's definitely not worth that premium. If I was amazed in all aspects then maybe, but I'd definitely consider this an "Average" property considering the price.

P.S. Almost forgot, I was completely shocked by the lack of closet in the room. There was a small rack which housed two robes and three additional hangers, but that's it. Sure I could have asked at "front desk" for more (although who knows if I would have gotten them first time asking) but the rack was so small there's no way you'd be able to fit anything additional in there. I understand it's NYC and space is at a premium, but since the room is huge anyway there is no excuse for not having a proper closet.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John B
Reviewed 29 December 2013

You could easily miss this hotel cruising by. Tucked around corner with no flags fluttering and a very understated marquis, the 2 story solid entry doors seem like they should be attached to a private club or secret society. What a great location, 1 block south from Grand Central! No need for cabs-Broadway, library, shopping all steps away. We were impressed by the 14 (guessing) foot ceilings made higher by low furniture. Spa bathroom with marble and slate shower stall big enough for 4 (hmmm). Efficient staff, delivered service with a desire to meet
expectations. Guests were mostly in NY for pleasure, many from Europe during our stay after Christmas. The restaurant has an inventive menu and service was thoughtful: apologies for not having the bourbon requested for mixed drink and inquiring if substitute would be acceptable, staging dinner of small plates and entree so we could dine in synch, respecting our time limitation to make a show and delivering check just as I was about to request it. Breakfast was busy, even at 10 am, requiring a short wait, but the pastries and skillet dishes made the wait worth it. Baristas bring your coffee prepared to order. Ice tea was brewed hot, with sprigs of fresh spearmint to pour over ice. Judging from just one stay, the pleasant surprise ratio and great location makes us want to return despite moderately expensive NYC prices.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2Dine4
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Quaint, chic, trendy, class, excellent service, so perfectly located, Andaz Fith Avenue welcomes their clients as special individuals and strives at making our stay a unique experience. The very young, well-trained and professional staff is a real asset. They are all so quick at being so helpful. For instance Jo brought us a bottle of Champagne to our room for my partner's birthday and Bianca found us great tickets for the Roquettes Show. Our room was very comfortable and the shower huge and multifunctional. Even the digital TV was nice to watch. Overall, we enjoyed getting the royal treatment and can't wait to go back. Highly recommended.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This was our first family Christmas in New York and first stay at the Andaz 5th Avenue. The hotel was absolutely fantastic. Its location was great for all the main attractions. The rooms were spacious and stylish. Finally all the staff were superb. Overall we had a perfect stay at the Andaz

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2013

When reviewing this hotel, I'm taking into account other hotel experiences I've had for the price. Yes there are better located and higher standards of hotel available but these are far more expensive.

My wife and I stayed at the Andaz from Dec 23rd to 29th (Thanksgiving week) and for the price you pay, you get an excellent experience in my view.

The staff are friendly and always looking to help and please. The room was clean, well equipped and a very good size by NYC standards (I've stayed in a lot smaller for the same and more money).

The hotel is in an excellent location, walking distance to 5th Avenue shops and Time Square.

I would recommend this hotel and if we go back to NYC, we would certainly be returning to the hotel (if for no other reason than my wife loved the fee wine at 6pm!).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2013

No hot water in the shower, no light switches, no bathroom door and the slooowst elevators in New York. Lighting was terrible

NO Design Sense.

Good service friendly folks.
Our suite had a business office with flat screen and a bedroom. Makes sense except the office room with it's big desk which presumably one would put heir computer did not have an electrical outlet for a laptop.

The designer must have been the owners son. Good hotels have a simple formula it is not complicated so don't make it complicated.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank warduka
Kostas D, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear Warduka,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like the design of our hotel. It was actually designed by tonychi & associates based here in NYC. They've designed several of our hotels such as Park Hyatt Washington D.C, Park Hyatt Shanghai, Grand Hyatt Taipei and currently in progress; the Andaz Tokyo. They work with other hotels brands & restaurants as well.
Please know that your feedback is appreciated. Obviously the lack of hot water in the shower is an anomaly and I hope the issue was resolved for you during your stay. If you could please email me at cornelia.samara@andaz.com as I would love to connect with you further. Thank you.

Best Regards,