“Great location, cool vibe”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #77 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We spent 2 nights in the splash suite and one night in a one bedroom balcony suite. Even though the splash suite is huge (700+ square feet) the layout is a bit awkward with the huge middle room taken up by a giant tub with no way to really close it off (great if you're a couple, less great if you're a group of friends). Speaking of lack of privacy, the bathroom has no door so if you want privacy, you have to shut all the doors to the bathroom. But onto the good - beds are super comfie, decor very chic, loved the black foot soaking tub, awesome pillows, great views to the 42nd street library... oddly enough we preferred the layout of the slightly smaller one bedroom balcony suite as the space was better used. Loved the look of the bathroom but in practice, the water temp varied quite a bit from burning to lukewarm and the rain shower is SO high that there is a big temp difference between the wand and the showerhead (and no door so water gets all over). I know they don't like a formal lobby, the the whole laptop welcome committee is a bit odd. In the splash suite, we could hear every word of the people in other rooms. MUCH quieter in our suite on the 14th floor.

In short, a very cool, chic hotel with some minor flaws. If you can get a good price (we used Hyatt Gold passport miles), you can overlook some of the minor quirks, but if we had paid full price, we might have been more picky. Loved the free amenities (all but alcohol). Bath products could have been better.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank VTwelltravelled
Cornelia S, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear VTwelltravelled,

Many thanks for the overall great review. I appreciate your opinion of the Splash Suite vs. the Balcony Suite. We do have 7 more suite types (total of 47 Suites) so you may want to try another one the next time you're here. I completely understand the "privacy" concern with the bathrooms. In regards to the bathrooms amenities-I'm happy to share that we'll be launching a new amenity line in February. We're partnering with the Fabulous Beekman Boys in Upstate NY to launch the Beekman1802 line. It's an all natural product made of goats milk! Don't worry, it doesn't smell like goat!
Thanks again for your time and I look forward to hosting you again at Andaz 5th Avenue. Be sure to let me know you're back so i can say hello in person.

My very best,
Cornelia Samara

Reviewed 18 January 2014

For decades I have always stayed at another midtown hotel, but this week I stepped outside my familiar world and stayed at Andaz 5th Avenue. Unfortunately I was there for less than 24 hours, but I can't wait to go back.

We had a lovely suite on the 9th floor overlooking 41st St. Incredibly roomy, beautifully furnished, amazingly quiet. The bed was incredibly comfortable with the best pillows I've ever had in a hotel. This combined with the remote controlled blackout shades made for a great night's sleep. The bathroom was amazing ... Something right out of Elle Decor! The living room was incredibly comfortable with a couch that must have been 10 feet long! Complimentary snacks and drinks was a welcome treat. My only criticism was a lack of space for clothes. There was a closet but no dresser or drawers of any kind. Not a big deal since we were only there for one night but on a longer trip I like to completely unpack and this would not have been possible.

The service was fantastic. The young woman who checked us in also took our bags, escorted us to our room and showed us the features of the suite. Checking out was a breeze also ... All done on iPads!

Yes, I may have a new favorite hotel for the next few decades!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank trixie412
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Arrived at the hotel at 6AM on the 1st day of 2014, of course the room wasn't ready but staff was very friendly. Got a call around 1PM and finally walked into our Loft room. The room was not big but very clean. The design was modern and minimalistic, very "boutique hotel"-styled. Complimentary soft drinks and snacks were a very nice gesture. However, there were 2 main problems:
1. The room was not sound-proof at all. There was a connecting door between our room and the adjoining room. We could hear every word spoken in the room next door, even when the male guest yawned in the morning. Was quite a blow for 2 people who just had a 14-hour long haul flight.
2. The shower room was not an enclosed space. It had only half a glass panel so water splashed all over when I showered, some even got onto wall socket. Had I not noticed I would have just plugged the hair dryer in….

Andaz is a good hotel, the warm service and the "at-home" feel really makes it stand out. However, I think the hotel spent too much effort looking chic and overlooked some of the more basic details. 4 years ago I stayed at Berkshire Place which was a very traditional hotel. There was nothing chic or modern about it but I got a week of good sleep.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sabrina C
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Had a fantastic 7 nights at the Andaz. Obviously someone who has actually travelled designed this Hotel and the layout of the rooms. It was the little details that made this Hotel stand out from the others we have previously stayed with. The rooms and bathrooms are large with wonderful storage. The little touches like plenty of fresh towels, pillows, good quality bathroom amenities supplied and replenished each day make all the difference when you are travelling. The complimentary snacks and drinks are a really nice addition. The location couldn't be better for exploring New York as there is something in every direction. An easy walk to Times Square, A Broadway Show, Grand Central, Bryant Park and the magnificent library are across the road and obviously being located on 5th Avenue means an easy walk to the best shopping the world has to offer. The Shop coffee on the ground floor is fabulous and the staff all so helpful and friendly we couldn't mention any individual without thanking them all. Our only disappointment was the fact we had leave and are now planning our next visit. Thanks for making our stay so special and see you all again very soon.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 14th Floor and will request this floor again on our next visit. The large windows...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JOBright
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a summer weekend. The room was large with separate sitting area, balcony, floor to ceiling windows and a great bathroom.

They had good coffee in the lobby all day. There's also a cafe for breakfast and lunch. The bar was a cool spot in the basement.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Nodcor
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Arrived at the hotel around 9am, and was fortunate to have the room ready for us (I understand this is just a lucky more than anything)

We booked using Visa Infinite (Signature) rate, and all perks were explained to us in detail without being prompted.

Hostess offered us coffee or water upon arrival and took the time to show us to our room.

Location was fantastic - close enough to the action but far enough away to be quite for a good night's rest.

Complimentary mini bar items were appreciated as an extra touch.

The room we found extremely relaxing and a nice refuge from a busy New York City.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The driver dropped me off in front of this narrow hotel, my first time in NY, and though tight on space, the staff was a lot friendlier then I had feared, being New York. The rooms were immaculately clean and presentable. It’s in sight of the NY Library, and the staff was great in helping plan my 3 day stay. Great breakfast place next door, for an early start. They made several reservations for me, shows and the Empire State Building, that saved me some time in line or just figuring out where to stand in line (*smile).
I felt safe and welcomed there, so I will be back next time, maybe for longer too.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends