“Andaz 5th Ave NYC”

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #81 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 February 2014

One week before my arrival I was contacted by the hotel asking for my time of arrival.

When I arrived around 6 PM my room was ready and check-in formalities took no time.

I was given a room on the top floor facing the New York Library - the view was amazing.

I have stayed at this property regularly in the past and the room had plenty of storage and the Andaz 5th Ave signature bathroom. When I build a house it will have a bathroom like this.

The hotel staff always greated me by name.

For breakfast I highly recommend the hot chocolate and strawberry orange juice.

The gym is equipped with all essential equipment and usually not busy.

During happy hour the hotel offers free wine and softdrink in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for Library view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights while attending a friend's wedding. I love the property and the location. It was our first stay at an Andaz property, so now I am hooked. I love the non traditional check-in and the friendly staff. I will definitely be back when I visit NYC next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the library
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Unfortunately I spent only one night in this hotel, my last one in the US before flying home. My first impression was not very good, though. There is no reception in the traditional sense, just a large table with laptops, served by the staff. I was asked to sit down and have a drink while I'll be checked-in. I was thinking please not another pretentious hotel that needs to reinvent the idea of hospitality. So I drank my cappuccino and waited and finally after approx. 15 minutes somebody came and accompanied me to the room. I have no idea what happened in those 15 minutes.

However, from there it went only upwards. My large loft was fabulous and LARGE. I loved the functional and minimalist design, the bathroom was a dream (and the folding bathroom door!), I enjoyed the footbath, the complimentary mini bar (very unusual), I loved the gadgets.

I liked the design of the hotel, the kitchen used for events, the Japanese style atrium, the wine racks in one of the meeting rooms (I could see all this from the hallway through the glass walls as I went to my room). I popped to the Shop restaurant at 10 p.m. for a quick dinner - the Roasted winter beets with kale & pistachios were to die for.

Overall, this is a grown up hotel that does not need any gimmicks to attract guests. The location is classic NY, close to the Grand Central (go to the Oyster Bar in the basement), to the Rockefeller Center, the Library is opposite the hotel. There is a good deli at the next corner.

I wish I stayed here longer. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank nomad2212
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed here for the weekend after Valentines day. The staff is very friendly, check us in right away, and we always find the staff helpful throughout the stay. The lobby is small, but have everything you need. I personally like the free phone charging drawer. You can lock it with your card, so you can leave your phone there, print your boarding pass, enjoy free drinks in lobby and read a couple books available on the bookshelf.

Location is just perfect. Close to everywhere, sitting next to the public library so it does not get noisy at night.

The room is above average. We stayed in the "standard " room, the bed is comfy and the room is reasonably sized. We absolutely love the complimentary mini bar. We also like their breakfast. It's not complimentary, but worth giving it a try.

I would say the shower area can be improved. The water does not stay at constant temperature so we need to keep adjusting. Also, the overhead shower head is leaking.

Would consider stay here again next time visit NYC.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Cornelia S, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Jeff L.,

Many thanks for the great review-in particular about our friendly and helpful staff!
Sorry to hear about the shower experience. We'll certainly looking into and fix the temperature inconsistency & leak. Would you mind sending me a note to cornelia.samara@andaz.com with the name on the reservation so we can find out which room you were in. Please also let me know the next time you're visiting so I can say hello and thank you in person!

Very Best,

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed for a few days at the Andes hotel to do our last minute Christmas shopping in New York. The hotel is very nice, modernly decorated, and the rooms are supplied with nice amenities and complementary mini bar. The footbath bowl with salts is very nice after a day of shopping..! The staff is very friendly, and the rooms are well maintained, clean, comfortable and quiet.

It is ideally located for people who like to be right in the middle of the shopping, and all the other attractions, like Times Square, Rockefeller center, Central Park etc, are all within walking distance.

I would not hesitate at all to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Slayton1250,

Thanks for your review on your stay with us during Christmas. 5th Avenue is really the place to be in NYC during the holidays. I love that time of the year! I'm happy to hear that you used and enjoyed the foot bath. It is meant for that purpose exactly....for the relief of the feet after a long day of shopping on 5th Avenue! Let me know when you're back-we would love to host you again.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

The Andaz 5th Ave is a great place to stay -- as is the Andaz Wall Street. Friendly, accommodating people in front, lovely modern, clean rooms with big windows and terrific baths. Have stayed here several times. The 5th Ave hotel is a very convenient location, close to museums, restaurants, shopping and other visitor interests. Complimentary mini bar snacks and wine at happy hour. We used the Wall Street hotel as guest hotel & for rehearsal dinner for son's wedding last April and we got rave reviews from friends.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Anewadventure,

Thanks for the terrific review! Please let me know when you're back so I can meet and thank you in person.

My very best,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We had a very quick stay at the Andaz but would stay there without a doubt for an extended trip. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was huge by new york standards and the high ceilings are refreshing for a hotel room. The bed was very comfortable and the mini bar has snacks and refreshments included. The location is great, but if you don't want to leave the hotel offers a great coffee shop and restaurant. Loved the Andaz!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear jleyva,

I'm happy to read that you loved our Andaz! Yes, please stay longer next time. There's too much to do, see and eat in NYC for a quick trip...so make us your home for an extended stay soon.

Very best,