“Fab location, luxury accommodation. Loved it!”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #88 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Location wise, this hotel is ideal. Facility wise, it's superb.

This hotel is located directly opposite the library, & close to a subway station. Grand Central Station is less than 5 mins walk away, & access to all tourist attractions is easy.

The hotel is sophisticated & chic, & seems set up for business guests. We stood out a little in our sight seeing gear, but hotel staff did not bat an eyelid. Hosts (as they are known here) are super helpful & knowledgeable, & complimentary drinks & snacks are most welcome.

The foot spa in the bathroom was put to good use every day, & the shower was extremely refreshing - rain shower plus another more directional head.

The super king bed was comfy & the room was spotless. It had a really high ceiling & large windows, but the bedside controls for the dark out blinds ensured a great sleep every night. The hotel is spotless throughout & we felt very well looked after. Our room was 807 - directly opposite the elevator, but we had no noise disruption from other guests, or from the bustling streets below.

If I'm back in New York, I'll definitely stay here again. I'd thoroughly recommend you should too!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank nrs35
Write a ReviewReviews (2,601)

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in September, the room was lovely and quiet which was probably a bit of a trade off because we didn't have the best view. The bathroom was completely spectacular though and the stone bowl to fill up and soak your feet at the end of a long day sightseeing was absolute bliss, the hotel kindly supplied some foot soak too :-). Complimentary mini bar and free wine in the lobby every evening was also a bonus and the staff were all uber helpful and friendly.

The location was great, literally a stones throw from Grand Central, so handy for the subway and with the Pershing Diner for breakfast. We had a cocktail in the hotel bar one evening too which was lovely, if a little gloomy being downstairs in the basement, really busy though so a good buzz.

The only thing I didn't get around to was visiting the city library which was directly across the road which was a shame but maybe just means I need to visit again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear Fluffypoppelt,

Thank you for your review.
We're delighted to be your hotel of choice when visiting the city!

I hope you get to see the Public Library on your next stay...it's really worth seeing.
Did you know that we have books from the Public Library available in our very own library lounge?! You can enjoy a read while having a complimentary coffee or tea in our lounge.

Looking forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The Andez on 5th Avenue is this fabulous hotel a stone's throw from the NYC Library. The entrance is off of 5th Avenue and only has a small sign out front. A set of unmarked grey doors is your passage way...inside you find a relaxed urban vibe that seems more like you've stepped into a Modern Art Gallery rather than your NYC home base.

The focal point in the low- lit small lobby is a square table with a few individuals who eagerly welcome you to the place were the 'cool people hang'. Their welcome instantly makes you feel apart of the 'in crowd'.

Your room is anything but the usual boring hotel room. The beds are comfortable the rooms are fun and the showers (once you figure out) are great. All snacks and beverages in the room are comped (besides alcohol). First time in NYC for me and I was a solo tourist - they put my mind at ease - gave me a coupon for a tour that met my needs, equipped me with directions and a water bottle for my journey. It was the perfect way for me to explore the Big Apple.

Loved 'the shop' for breakfast= again that relaxed urban friendly atmosphere where you can enjoy good coffee and great people watching.

At checkout you even get to pick a small departing gift- such a fun place. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask the 'Host' for recommendations of anything you need - they have great insider scoop and...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank funinthesun223
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear funinthesun223,

Thanks for your great review!
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay :)

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We spent 7 nights here over NYE 2013/14 with our family of five. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the two bedrom balcony suite was well appointed and roomy and there were televisions a plenty to keep across the big freeze that transformed NYC into a winter wonderland overnight.

The location was great to base yourself and set off each day to explore this amazing city. We could not fault this hotel and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A low table of lap-tops are provided to facilitate on-line check-in, but we were feeling timid about this and help miraculously appeared. Hotel's location near Bryant Park and the NY public library is convenient to Midtown attractions. Staff are friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the complementary evening wine service and in-room snacks and soft drinks. Room decor was harsh for my taste, but stunning. The glass walled closet did not appeal to my interest in tucking possessions out of sight. Liked having windows that open.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've been to New York many times over the past 15 years and stayed in hotels with "big" names and some other smaller ones as well, but I have not been treated this well in any of these hotels as I was at the Andaz 5th Avenue.
The moment I arrived there was a young man who rushed out to get the bags from the car - which in New York, as far as I'm concerned does not really happen - and I initially thought someone was stealing my stuff!!
Check-in was a pleasure and I was offered a beverage, while I waited. It didn't take long before I was on my way to the room.
The whole setup of the hotel from the modern "foyer-cum relaxing studio" to the ultra-modern rooms are something I cannot describe in anything but AWESOME!!
I wanted to do some shopping, have a meal and a drink or two, but I had trouble tearing my self away from the room.
The staff in this hotel are like long lost friends, even though I only met them then. They are extremely helpful, friendly and it actually looks like they thoroughly enjoy their jobs, which makes the experience even more enjoyable.
I used to have a favorite hotel in another country, but that was changed in a few minutes after arriving.
The Andaz 5th Avenue is my new favorite hotel and it will take a lot to change that.
Well done guys. You have a lot to be extremely proud of.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank HofArabia

Dear HofArabia,

We're proud to be your new favorite hotel in NYC. Thank you for the compliments!

Hoping to see you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Wow, amazing hotel! We have stayed in a few within the city, but this is far our favourite. From our very first encounter with the staff, they were friendly, helpful, and very generous. On arrival we told them we were on our honeymoon. We were upgraded to the top spec room. The hotel has free wifi, free use of the Apple iMac computers downstairs, free tea & Coffee and complimentary wine in the reception at certain times. On walking into our grand room/apartment, it was stunning. Lounge area with flat screen TV, bedroom area with queen size very comfortable bed, TV, IPod docking station, then the bathroom.....wow! Words cant describe. Huge walkin shower area, his & hers sinks, toilet obviously. The decoration was kind of oriental, but wonderful.
The hotel also boasts a restaurant and bar, however we didnt have time to sample the delights.
Location was brilliant, you are right opposite the New York Central Library, 2 min walk from grand Central, 10 mins from Empire State. Such a perfect location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Drucey2,

Thank you for your great review and for choosing to stay with us on your honeymoon!
How nice that you gave us a "6 star rating" :)

Hoping to see you again soon.

Best regards,