“What's not to love?” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“What's not to love?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Staying here at this very minute, lying on the clean comfortable big bed. We Brits would say its a king size but as we are in the USA sizing is different and they probable call it a single.(I'll point out the jokes)
The reception are is a little different, all very modern and trendy and even though we're over 40 (by 2 decades) it worked for us. Smiling helpful staff with a 'no problem' attitude. (Unlike the counter staff at Starbucks I asked for change for the bus yesterday - you'll think I'd asked them for a piggy back around the shop)
We figured out the shower after a few shocks ( husband fully dressed when I turned the dial and discovered the rain shower)
The very clean, beautiful fixtures were a really good style feature only issue was the amount of times our knuckles connected with the glass sides as we couldn't see them. (We can use spoons to eat dinner for now)
Free snacks, drinks and other treats in the reception are ( I leave some surprises )
We found the price comparable with other hotels. So if you want clean, plenty space and brilliant area. It's all here.
Will definitely be back. Especially if Hyatt see this review and offer me a free stay.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Xtinabella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I loved staying here for the first time as I usually stay at the grand Hyatt down the street. The room upgrade over grand Hyatt puts it another class and is extremely comfortable and new. I didn't get to check out the restaurants or bar downstairs but hope to get back soon and will make this place my new choice to stay.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear todddonat,

Thank you for staying with us at Andaz 5th Avenue!
Happy to know that you have found your new preferred place to stay in the city :)

Hoping to see you again very soon.

Kind regards,
Ratna
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

3 ½ stars. But, since half stars cannot be awarded, I must round down as this was, in all actuality, a three-star experience. I wanted to love this place—truly, I did—but I have had much better Manhattan hotel experiences for considerably less. I reserved a two-bedroom balcony suite as this was my parents’ first trip to New York. And, at just $322/night, I can’t argue with the fact that this was a steal. But I only got that rate because of a ‘fluke’ between my travel agency and the hotel and, had I been paying the $1200/night sticker price, I would have been gravely disappointed. You see, Andaz tries too hard to be cool—to mimic Starwood’s W product—and it comes across as…well, awkward. We all remember that kid from high school, right?

From the moment I arrived, service left something to be desired. Pulling up at the curb, I was shocked to find no bellhops, doormen, or valet attendants in sight. Not only that, but there was no place to park temporarily; the hotel’s unloading zone was blocked by two chauffeured Chevrolet Suburbans. Oh, and while we’re on the subject, valet parking is $78/night. Yes—$78! Come on, guys. I’ve stayed at tons of luxury hotels in Manhattan and none have charged over $60/night…not even the Four Seasons!

I went into the lobby—or, like W, do they call it a living room?—to request assistance with my luggage when a young, petite girl in a skirt and heels offered to help. Really? I unloaded my car and loaded the luggage cart while she kindly pushed it inside.

Into the lobby and you’ll find a futuristic take on a check-in desk…a square ‘pod’ in the center of the lobby with four laptops. Where to stand? Behind her as she typed meaningless keystrokes with her back to me? It was awkward to say the least! When she turned around, she told me that our room was unavailable but she offered to hold the luggage and call me when the room was ready.

But she didn’t. I won’t hold it against her; if I had a dollar for every time I forgot trivial things like this, I’d be staying in the Ty Warner Suite at the Four Seasons! Joking aside, it was nice to arrive back at 7:00pm, get the keys, head upstairs, and…WOW. First impressions count, and suite 1404 did not fall short. It was gigantic with panoramic views of New York—down 5th Avenue to the Empire State Building, across Bryant Park with the New York Public Library down below. It seemed bland, at first, and we thought it was sparsely furnished, but that didn’t matter because the views were the obvious star and the sterile room did not detract from the focal point. In fact, the view was so stunning that it henceforth became difficult to persuade my family to leave the room! I also appreciated the comfortable bed—soft linens, down pillows, and a feather duvet. Superb!

As we spent more time in the room, though, we found several basic ‘design flaws’. First, the dining room chairs are incredibly difficult to move as the legs get stuck on the carpet and you can’t lift them up as there is no room beneath the table. I realize this is a minor inconvenience, but small wheels should be added to allow them to roll better on the carpet. Furthermore, while the non-alcoholic Minibar offerings were free (as, I feel, it should be), the refrigerator did not cool properly. Additionally, there were no light switches in either bathroom…they were halfway down the wall in the bedroom which made them difficult to find at night. It took us two days to discover that there was a light in the water closet! Additionally the shower was beautiful but water pressure was weak (granted, it is a rain shower head) and, perhaps more frustrating, the controls were very complex with no instructions. I took cold showers both days.

I did not dine in the restaurant nor did I visit the ‘cellar’ where a bar and fitness center are located. In the late evening, though, I did observe two men stationed at the door in shiny suits—they looked like bouncers at a nightclub, not doormen at a four-star hotel. Again, the awkward ‘trying-too-hard’ theme continues.

The saving grace—besides the large room and spectacular views—was the location! The Andaz 5th Avenue is centrally located within walking distance of Grand Central Terminal, Times Square, and Central Park. SoHo and Battery Park are just short, $15-30 UberX rides away or you can take the nearby N/R trains to access these neighborhoods.

The final annoyance occurred on the morning of my departure. I was told the bill had no charges besides the room. When I questioned the clerk about my travel agency taking the charges, she told me that, under their agreement, the hotel was to put it on my card which they had on file. I said fine and thought nothing of it. An hour later, as I was boarding a ferry to Liberty Island with my family, I received a bill from the hotel that was over $1,500 more than the rate I was quoted. A quick call to my travel agency got everything resolved, but it really frustrated me that this error happened. It turns out that the hotel double charged me for the room—once through my travel agency and once on departure—which would up taking days to get refunded to my credit card. It was a nuisance to say the least.

Put simply, I just don’t understand what all the hype is about. It’s trying too hard to compete with W and instead misses lots of little details—the truly important things in a hotel—left and right. I probably won’t be back…but if I can get that room for $300/night again, I’m not sure I could pass it up!

Room Tip: Room 1404 -- a two bedroom balcony suite -- has amazing views and is quite large!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank arlingtonman13
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Would definitely come back to this hotel. Modern spacious room (Andaz Large Twin Room) with high ceilings. The beds were so comfortable. The staff were wonderful and consistently provided warm assistance. Loved the complementary (non alcoholic) beverages and snacks. Had a great location - we walked everywhere.

My only complaint was that because my room was facing 5th Avenue, it did sometimes get noisy at night (mainly siren noise).

Room Tip: The large twin room is good size. Had a great view of Fifth Avenue. However ask for a room not fac...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed at the Andaz on 5th for a 3 night city break. Great location right on 5th Avenue opposite Bryant Park (which is wonderful btw and def worth a visit). Check in process super simple and Amber was very charming and looked after us while we stayed. Nice touches such as free soft drinks and snacks in the mini bar and complementary wine in the evening in the lobby were a nice touch. Had breakfast on the first morning (if you like a Bloody Mary you MUST order one with breakfast.... One of the best I've every tasted, I'm not kidding). We also had supper in their below basement bar, which was also amazing. If I would had to stay in midtown again on a return visit to NYC I would def return

Room Tip: Try for a high room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was neither impressed nor disappointed by this hotel. The wood floors in my room needed refinishing. Maid service was very good and I would like to send compliments to housekeeper Lejla. My bathroom did not have a bathtub.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Wow, I was really impressed with this hotel. The service was very good. Everything is very modern, from the open concept check-in to the library/coffee bar off the reception area. The rooms are very boutique and although not huge, the high ceilings make them feel much bigger than they are. It is also a nice touch to be able to take items for free from the mini bar, except alcohol. Even though this is offered, you really don't over indulge. They also have some really cool local products for you to try. Nice touch. The only downside is that it is just a little too far to walk to a show and too short for a taxi. Would definitely stay her again though.

Stayed June 2014