“Great hotel in an absolutely great location”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #88 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in an absolutely great location”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We went to New York for 4 nights and stayed at the Andaz. The location is unbelievable. It was right in the middle of everything. Macy's was 10 minute walk, Times square was 5 minute walk, Empire state building was 5 minutes and Central Park was 15 minute walk. The hotel is sort of hidden even though it is right on 5th Avenue. When you enter the lobby, you do not see the standard reception desk but you have a few staff members around who come and start assisting you straight away. It was very informal yet quite customer friendly. Their customer service is exceptional and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The rooms are very nice and the bathroom is just amazing. We were lucky enough to be there during the Pride Parade weekend and we got informed about it and hence found ourselves good vantage point to view the parade. One thing i would say is that instead of having meals at the hotel which is quite expensive, it would make sense to venture out and find places to eat. There are plenty of nice cafe's and restaurants around which are still a lot cheaper than "The shop" at Andaz... The staff is just amazing and i would like to thank each and every one of them for making our trip so memorable.

Room Tip: Any rooms are good but beware there is not a lot of storage in the standard rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ketanparikh78
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Ketanparikh78,

Thank you for staying at Andaz 5th Avenue!
I'm happy to hear that you had a memorable time and enjoyed your stay with us.

Sorry that your room did not have enough closet space for your liking. I suggest you try one of our suites on your next visit. They're very spacious and have ample closet space for your convenience.

Let me know if I can be of help in finding the right room for you.

Ratna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 29 June 2014

You can't beat the location - just a short walk from Grand Central Station and across the street from the Library. Brunch at the onsite restaurant featured excellent food in a really inviting space. The rooms were a bit of a mixed bag - I loved the high ceilings and the posh modern bathrooms, but the beds and furniture were so low that they seemed made for kindergartners. If you're a tall person, be forewarned that everything is very low to the ground! This was a fun place to cash in Hyatt points for a long weekend getaway.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MIAnonymous
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear MIAnonymous,

Thank you for your review.
Great to hear that you enjoyed your long weekend getaway at Andaz 5th Avenue.

Please come and visit us again soon.

All the best,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

If you stay at the Andaz on 5th Avenue you're in a great location, a 10-15 minute walk from the shows around Broadway, 15 minutes walk from Central Park, 3 minutes walk from Grand Central Station, right next to the famous New York public library and obviously slap bang in the middle of all the shopping action.

So that's location out of the way, now on to the property itself. The hotel is small with an equally small lobby. Check in was super swift conducted at one of the laptops in the centre of the lobby and I was soon on my way up to my room which was sold to me at reception as having a courtyard view and therefore was on the quiet side of the hotel. Translated out of hotel marketing speak this meant the room looked over a not very scenic piece of concrete and a few air conditioning units, in fact if you opened the day blinds you were so close to the next building you were staring right into someone's office and vice versa so the blinds stayed shut for the duration of my 4 day stay. However on the plus side the room was very quiet.

The room itself was great, not massive but well designed with a really funky bathroom and fantastic walk in shower. The big plus point of the room is the free minibar (non alcoholic drinks and snacks anyway) and the only downside I would point out is the minimal clothes storage space. If you're travelling as a couple and staying for a few days there's no way everything will fit on the hanging or the one drawer that is provided.

Other highlights include: the gym, small but serviceable with a few cardio machines and a free weights area. The Bar Downstairs, I only went once but it's quite a cool place. Breakfast: ate this twice at the hotel in the restaurant/coffee shop on the ground floor, the food was great but you can forget about being served "standard" breakfast food as the menu is quirky and borders on the pretentious (however having said that it's not like there aren't a million other places to eat close by). Finally, I'd call out the staff, they were always incredibly helpful, efficient, friendly and diligent (especially Joy who sorted out a load of restaurant bookings for me before I arrived), this really makes a huge difference to this property.

On the one hand I'd definitely stay here again, on the other, when I come back to New York I'll probably try to stay somewhere else but only because there are loads of great hotels in this city and I'm keen to see what else is out there. However if you're considering this place I'd give it a go, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: There are some great views overlooking 5th Avenue and the New York Public Library but if you want a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sonic99
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 29 June 2014

For those who found it difficult to locate the hotel, the hotel entrance is actually on 41st Street (Library Way). Yes, it can be just a bit tricky to find, but as long as you know that it is just across from the New York City Public Library and is the first entrance on 41st Street from 5th Avenue, you cannot go wrong.

This is a "with the times", no fuss, simple, efficient, "pared down to basics" luxury boutique hotel. Staff strength is lean, but they are very helpful, efficient and multi tasking and have a no problem attitude. Elaine especially at Front Desk was ever so sweet and helpful. She was concierge, front desk, bell girl all rolled into one. The doormen are happy to hail a cab.

The entire decor is very contemporary, clean, slick and minimalistic. Ceilings are high. Quiet rooms. I know from other travellers that some rooms have better views. It did not matter to me.

Coffee, fruits, nuts, biscuits, water all complimentary in the lounge/reception area. Some wine too in the evenings. Snacks, water, soft drinks all replenished in the room. All complimentary. Wifi connected without a fuss.

AC, shades could be controlled from the bed. Switches are backlit, so I did not have a problem.

Breakfast in the restaurant was very good. Efficient service. Available early morning.

Shower open to sink area, so that was a bit disconcerting. Could not cross that area or go where someone in shower could be seen in mirror. Ask the staff to explain the shower controls. Else, takes a while to figure out.

Sunlight did sort of filter in through the side of the blinds in the morning. I was ok with that.

Location of course was brilliant.

I will choose to stay here again. Especially with my Hyatt points.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pianamaste
Elma, NY
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I chose this hotel because of the fabulous reviews from this site, as well as the free water/pop and snacks - what a great perk! The hotel is in a great location and it's a very clean, trendy hotel. The entrance for the hotel restaurant is right across the street from the library where Carrie and Big were married. The entrance for the hotel is on the street facing the library (Library Way) so you kind of have to look for it. Check in was very nice, we arrived at 11 so they stored our luggage while we explored. They called us at 3pm to tell us our room was ready. I booked a loft but they upgraded us to a king suite. Walking in is a long hallway with the bathroom on the right, minibar on the left and a small living room with couch, desk and TV. The next room was the bedroom with a big beautiful bed, huge window and a long hallway with about 20 feet of closet space and drawers - we never even went into this area! Employee showed us to our room, showed how to use the lights, shower and all the amenities which was nice. Really I have no complaints. The room was cleaned while we were out, amenities for the fridge and snack area were not replenished so I had to call down, but they came up immediately. We were on the 10th floor of the north tower so there was minimal noise, but you could hear sirens during the night. My husband thought it was too modern, but I loved the sleekness and the hardwood floors / tile in the hallway and bathroom. Also,as far as the bathroom, it's like your bathroom at home - toilet is in the area with the sink and shower. I don't see what all of the issues are. The bathroom is wonderful, two sinks, great bleekman amenities, huge wonderful towels and robes and the footbath was awesome. there's a bench seat in the shower and a downspout that fills the footbath. it was very nice after a long day of walking the streets. we went to the bar saturday night, which is located on the lower level and is behind a closed door. once you enter, you see alot of long family-style tables, a couch, and a small bar area. all of this overlooks a huge kitchen and small makeshift bar area - it feels like you are in someone's ultra modern home. There was a guy spinning 80's music from a table behind us on his computer. When we left checkout was done via the TV. I would consider staying there again - the price was right ($270/night) and the location was awesome.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kelly32
Dear Kelly32,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback.
I'm glad that you and your husband had a good time with us and enjoyed your stay.

Please come and visit us again soon.

Sydney
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed at Andaz for one week in late May and loved it. Check-in was friendly, efficient and no-fuss. I was impressed that a staff member escorted me to my (lovely) room and explained things. The room décor is ultra modern and tasteful and the bathroom is superb. There are two handbasins, a rain and a power shower, beautiful toiletries and lots of towels. Daily room servicing was faultless. Another delightful feature is the daily complimentary wines in the lobby, from 6 - 9 pm. This is also a great opportunity to meet people. Staff are unobtrusive but pleasant, friendly, efficient and attentive. The location, corner of 5th Avenue and 41st Street, is very central, with the Bryant Park subway half a block away.

Room Tip: Loft rooms are really spacious and totally quiet, even though you're in the centre of Manhattan.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear MargaretO'B,

Thank you for selecting Andaz 5th Avenue for your stay in the city.
We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

Hoping to see you again on your next trip to NYC.

Tampa Bay, FL
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were looking for a hotel to stay at for a trip to NYC, and after looking at several places, decided on this one. We were in the area for my husband's sister's graduation, with the weekend spent in NYC for our belated honeymoon. Overall, I'd say the hotel chooses form over function - things look neat, but don't function in the way you'd hope.

Pros:
- The location is great. Having the NY Public Library, Bryant Park, Grand Central Station, and Times Square within short walking distance was wonderful. (For those who don't know, Grand Central Station has a market inside that offers fresh bread, cheese, pre-made fresh food, and other goodies - a good place to go to grab items for a picnic lunch.)
- The staff was for the most part very friendly and helpful. If you had questions or needed help, they were happy to do so.
- The bed was very comfortable, as was the room temperature. We slept well most night. We got a room up on the 8th floor, and the city noise was pretty negligible.
- You need to use your key to get up to your room - a nice safety feature.
- Several things are free: coffee, juice, soda, some snacks. It was nice to have that as there were times we were thirsty or peckish and didn't feel like leaving the room to get something. Each room has as small fridge and table stocked with these items, and apart from the alcoholic items, are free.
- In our room, there was a large window ledge that you could sit on and watch the city from above - very nice to have.

Cons:
- We got an XL King Room, and I'm not entirely sure it was worth the extra money. We had a a sectional sofa piece, a bench at the end of our bed, a very unsturdy looking chair, and a desk chair (and a desk). While there were options for sitting down, when we ordered rooms service, only one of us could sit at the desk to eat - the other person had to balance their food in their lap and sit either on the bed or on the sofa. And since there was no table in front of the sofa, there was no place to put your drink or plate. I would have used the other chair, but was afraid to sit on it as it looked more like an art piece than an actual chair. (Form over function?)
- The rooms have touch-sensitive displays. While it was nice to be able to control the lighting in different ways, it made it hard to find the light when it was dark in as there was no traditional switch to feel for. (Form over function?) Also, one of the lights in our room would not turn off, and so in the middle of the night we had to have maintenance come up and physically disconnect the lights so we could sleep.
- The toilet has a half-wall separating it from the rest of the bathroom. So if you have one person at the sink or in the shower, you don't have privacy. (Definitely form over function.)
- There is a speaker/radio/ipod unit next to the bed. It has a tiny clock on it, but you have to look at the unit head-on in order to see it. Not very convenient - very hard to see what time it was at night or when you were in a different part of the room. (Form over function.)
- Some of the staff needs a bit more training. I called to confirm our room reservations, and instead of checking it himself there at the hotel, the guy I talked mumbled something about transferring me to the main Hyatt reservation line, and then I got disconnected. I called right back, and got another person who checked it on their computer. Maybe the first guy was busy, but given that the other person I talked to was able to help me, I have to wonder. I called back another time and was told that we didn't have a reservation with the hotel. After 5 minutes of searching, she finally found it.
- I read through some of the recent reviews, and I have to agree with some of the comments that things are a bit awkward with the hotel. When we arrived (which was late at night), we had trouble finding the entrance. There is a large rug that says "Andaz" in front of the door, and a small sign by the entrance, but I was expecting a bit more signage. And because they don't have a traditional check-in desk, I wasn't sure where to go. But the staff realized we were a bit lost, and ushered us over to their area to check us in. Also, as mentioned above, the room design is a bit odd too.

The last thing I'll say is that when we made our reservation the website asked if we were on our honeymoon. I read through some reviews before posting this, and see that the hotel offered upgrades or a little something extra to the honeymooners. When we checked in nothing was said to us and we certainly didn't get any upgrades. In the middle of our stay I asked one of the employees downstairs why the website asked about that, and she said "we like to know if guests are celebrating something special with us." When I told her we were there for our honeymoon, and congratulated us and said she'd mention it to her manager. That evening we got a card from Andaz saying thanks for staying with them on our anniversary and a few macaroons in a nice bag. While we appreciated that, it certainly wasn't the same as getting an upgrade or bucket of champagne and strawberries like some of the other folks received. So it felt more like a standard stay instead of our honeymoon.

So - would we be back? I think so, although I'd probably look at other places as well and compare the prices.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor. Certain rooms are only found on certain floors - I think the XL Kin...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple