“Extremely unsafe. Extremely overcrowded.”
Review of Pacha New York

Pacha New York
Ranked #135 of 866 Nightlife in New York City
Mamaroneck, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Extremely unsafe. Extremely overcrowded.”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Was unable to get to my friends or exit club due to extreme overcrowding and only one exit to leave club. Fire exits were unable to be used to exit club as they were being blocked by barricades and bouncers. I finally found a supervisor bouncer to help me maneuver through the club. He got me to my friends and then went to coat check for me. We were outside waiting for our coats and letting one of the employees outside know how unsafe we felt and he just gave us an attitude that they've never had any problems with being over capacity (which was untrue, fire dept had shut down club due to being over capacity in the past).
While I was stuck inside this club all I could think about was what would happen if there was a fire or a problem. Thousands of people would be trampled to death. It honestly was a very scary experience. I will never go to this club again.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Meagan T

Delhi
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Good and some bad”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Pluses:
Good place to party of you’re young, this place has a very young vibe and crowds;
Electronic music,

2 Thank skwatr
brooklyn
“Worst Club in NYC!”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Absolutely terrible pathetic club. Simply put this was my worst club experience EVER! The good reviews are probably written by paid promoters. We started the night excited and were hoping to have a good time. We went to the 2nd floor to get drinks from the bar, and were trapped there for over two hours! We tried begging and bribing our way back downstairs to no avail. We were cramped like sardines with barely any air to breath. We had no choice but had to figure out a way to just leave. My wife and I finally found a human enough bouncer who listened to our excuse (instead of screaming at us not to talk to them) that we have to get home to our kids. At first he took us to an emergency exit and told us we can go. We asked about our coats (combined value over $900) that were downstairs at the coat check in. He said if I let you out you forfeit your coats. When I explained that I would need my car keys and its 30 degrees outside, he was nice enough to run and get them while we waited at the exit for him. 15 min later we were liberated! I never thought I'd be so happy to feel the cold wintry NYC air hit my lungs! To my surprise there was a line around the block of people still coming in! I would estimate over 3,000 people were in the club. They undoubtedly over sold. This is not a classy place and Pacha really does not seem to care about there customers. I warn anyone over the age of 21 to find another club to go to!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank bruce k
Queens, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Love it”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Booked a table through an email I found online. Got a great deal and had such a great time with a VIP table. pachaviptables@gmail.com hooked me up. Def give it a shot if you love house music. Famous DJ's every weekend

Visited January 2013
Irena-az
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“the bad and the good experience”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I've been to Pacha in NYC twice, and had different experiences. The first time was in the main club premises. Good DJ's, good crowd, not even nearly as posh as one may be led to believe by Pacha's photos and ads. An OK interior, I'd say a bad light on the upper level (blue-ish cold hues reminded me of horror movies about cemeteries), freezing cold upper floor, sauna hot main (lower) floor, sweaty people, sweat everywhere, one DJ openly snorting from the deck while playing his music and not even trying to cover himself (although I must say, he plaid well and good music). Good and friendly crowd, good vibe in the club, somewhat lonely lowest level with very few people. Very expensive drinks but all in all a good place. Not posh, not glamorous, but good. No particular complaints or compliments about the service.
The club itself is located in the very unattractive NYC area (warehouses, highways, and dirt everywhere), but a short distance from the Times Square.

Second time my husband and I went to Pacha's "open air" party at the waterfront. This location was even less "glamorous", the visitors were younger. The music was again good - world-famous DJ group/band were playing, people happy and sweaty. Shoes destroyed by other dancers who kept stepping on them, but that is part of the club experience, so ok too. But then I experienced extremely rude treatment from the club security. Around 1:30 a.m., while we were standing by the bar, some guy passed by us, smoking a cigarette. Regular cigarette. My husband decided he wanted to smoke too. The normal rule is "non-smoking inside, smoking outside." And since it was an open-air event, at the waterfront, there were no "non-smoking" signs anywhere, there was an ashtray at the bar, we didn't receive any warnings of any sort, he thought it was OK to smoke. As my husband lit the cigarette, a huge cubic security guard approached and told him "you - out. You can't smoke here. Out." and shoved him. My husband put the cigarette into the ash-tray, readily available at the bar (why would they keep ash-trays at the bar if smoking wasn't allowed?) and raised his hands non-confrontationally, saying "ok, ok. I won't smoke." But the security guard starting pushing him yelling "Out, out" and ripped the "over 21" entrance bracelet from my husband's hand. We were surprised, but decided do not argue, do not spoil our good mood and just leave. We weren't drunk, we weren't UI, we didn't try to argue, we agreed to do everything the guard asked us to do, stood up and started walking towards the exit. My husband walked first, I followed him, the guard was behind my back and suddenly started shoving and lightly punching me in my back with his huge fist. I am slightly over 100 lbs at 5'8", not very big woman. The guard was around 300+ lbs and huge. Most importantly - I DID NOTHING WRONG AT ALL. I didn't smoke the cigarette, I wasn't drunk or acting inappropriately, I was leaving the club on my own will, he didn't even ask me to leave to start with - he only requested my husband to leave. I could not believe this was happening. I am not a 16yo drunk and baked kid, generally I am used to be treated with respect. I turned to the guard and asked what was going on, he stopped for a moment, thought about it, and then said "you are OK", went ahead and started shoving my husband. Basically, he was physically harassing/attacking me without even thinking about it. At the exit I went to the security and club representatives and complained about the rude treatment, asking them why didn't they indicate that smoking wasn't allowed and what was wrong with their guards. They apologized for missing "no smoking" signs telling they must have forgotten to put them up (yeah, right), but did nothing about their rude security guard - no apologies from him.

With that, I have mixed feeling about this club: DJs openly using controlled substances on the club premises, and guards physically harassing the customers who didn't violate any of the rules.
I will try finding other venues with good music.

Visited August 2012