“Difficult to give higher rating”

Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue
Ranked #25 of 467 Hotels in New York City
West Vancouver, Canada
“Difficult to give higher rating”
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Pre-Arrival:
We booked the Hotel via Jet Luxury Resort, who probably had the best rate. Do check back 'cause after I made reservation, the rate went down. The telephone receptionist at the Agency was extremely friendly and helpful, and I was able to get an even lower rate.

Before arrival, the Personal Assistant, Kimberly, sent me a e-mail and called me. She sounded extremely friendly and helpful. Knowing we'd be arriving around 6 a.m., she said she'd try to arrange early check-in for us, and had really raised my expectation of the Hotel.

On-Arrival:
I had to say I was shocked. There was no door-man nor Conciege at the door. This was the very first time we had to carry our own luggages into a five-star hotel! There was only one man at the Front-reception. He did not greet us, and could not retrieve our reservation info. Luckily, I always had the habit to carry a print-out. And of course, our room was NOT ready for check-in, and he, of course, had no clue when our room'd be available. The only thing he could do was to store our luggages.

While we were sitting in the lobby planning our day, Kimberly arrived. She was apologetic but insisted early check-in was not guaranteed. She did try to help and offered us breakfast, which we declined.

Our Stay:
The good thing is, upon our arrival in the evening, our room was indeed ready, and our luggages were already delivered to our room. Most things were perfect - there were welcome fruit, chocolate, cookies, water, and slippers. Things I didn't like : (1) the hand-held shower. The design of the tub and the hand-held shower was extremely poor, and water was inevitably splashed everywhere, drowning the bathroom floor and my slippers were soaked. (2) there was only 1 face towel. (3) coffee-machine area had no lighting, and no instructions on how to use the Nespresso machine. I had to search on the internet. (4) bed was slightly too soft for my liking. (5) Housekeeping quality varied - a few items were not replenished the 1st day, like bath salt, slippers, etc. Everything were replaced the 2nd day. (6) Location of the Hotel was not really that close to the major shopping area on the Fifth Avenue, nor Time Square. Personally, I'd rather stay closer to either one location, and took the sub or taxi to other places. After watching the show, I found it a little bit far away and too quiet to walk back to the Hotel.

I could see the Hotel tried very hard to be a five-star Hotel. However, it acted more like a four-star Hotel to me. I couldn't find myself a reason to stay in this Hotel again.

3 Thank Lraep

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Could not say enough good things about my stay. The rooms were quiet, comfortable and very clean. The bed was very comfortable, linens were soft and top quality.
The service was beyond my expectations. The personal assistants were very helpful and informative. Use of the Maserati was an incredible touch on top of everything else.

I would strongly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jbbmke
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I spent 3 weeks researching hotels for our visit to New York. My husband and I stayed at the Setai Fifth Avenue for 3 nights for a conference. We have never stayed in a five star hotel before because we could not afford it, but we found a really great deal online and decided to go for it. I was contacted a few days before our arrival by Kimberly, a personal assistant. We kept playing phone tag, but what was important for us was being able to check in early. She was able to have our room ready for us by noon.

The first thing that caught our attention was the doorman and front desk service. We were winded from walking from the subway and check in was speedy. They were very friendly and professional. Duane, one of the doormen walked us to our room and showed us how to open the curtains (automated) and the TV in the bathroom.

The room was very clean and comfortable. The first thing out of my husband's mouth (who never really comments on the rooms) was, "the bathroom is huge!" There were orchids in the room along with gourmet chocolates. Our room was on the 10th floor overlooking 36th street. There was a nice view of the Empire State building.

The Room: It was simple. There wasn't any gaudy artwork adorning the walls. The linens on the bed were crisp and soft (if you can imagine those two adjectives in the same sentence!) We were in a standard room. It wasn't large, but enough room for two people (the bathroom took up a lot of space - but we appreciated the extra space in the bathroom). The bed was extremely comfortable. I would have liked the pillows to be a bit more firm, but there were enough pillows on the bed to make up for it. 36th street was quiet. We did hear an occasional truck or bus in the middle of the night, but the noise was nothing like it was when we last stayed on Times Square. We did not hear other guests except for the occasional door closing (and most of the time that ended before 11pm). We never heard any talking from other guests.

It's the little things: The soda and water in the mini fridge was complimentary. We didn't have to spend a fortune on room service or run out to get something to drink (and they provided Coke Zero!) The real flowers, chocolates and chocolate chip cookies at turn down will put a little smile on your face. The morning paper was hanging on our door in the morning. Although we did not take advantage of it, the shoe shine service was complimentary as well.

The Bathroom: I loved the towels. I will be buying them online! Robes were available as well. There was a huge tub and rain shower. I prefer a shower with more pressure, but there was a handheld that helped. We really enjoyed the TV in the mirror!

The Housekeeping: This team knows what they are doing. Our room was exceptionally clean each day we returned. There was always enough soap and toilet paper and tissues replaced (unfortunately we were under the weather and went through a TON of tissues).

It's the little things: Turn down service consisted of towels on the floor by the bed with slippers, chocolate chip cookies, and sparkling water and glasses on the night stand. They also give you a little card that tells you what the weather is going to be like the next day. We came back to our room one day and the maid had folded all of my husband's clothes!

I had heard that there was flexible check out, but when I asked what time check out was, they told me 11am. The young man at the front desk must have noticed the wrinkle in my forehead because he said that he could probably move it to noon. I figured they promised the room to the next guest early so we needed to move out so they could clean. We were not flying out of NYC until 4:30pm and they let us store our bags there at no additional cost.

I only gave the room a 4 rating because on our last morning, there was no hot water. Midway into my shower, the luke warm water turned cold. The front desk said that it would be restored in 15 minutes. She gave my husband the option of showering in the SPA. Since we had to check out a little earlier than expected, he went down to the SPA.

It's the little things: With the exception of our own hotel room door, we never opened a single door. The doormen are quick and always ready to help with bags and hailing a cab.

I'm sure the nightly rate at the Setai are not going to get any lower. They are exceptional. If I can afford it the next time I am in NYC - it will be on the top of my list.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank SpicyTuna74
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 20 March 2011

My husband and I were in town for the Big East Tournament. When we arrived, Floyd started taking care of us. And he sure did! On returning from the first night of games, he had left 2 West Virginia flags on the bed with a "Let's go Mountaineers" card. This was just after mentioning briefly that we were Mountaineer fans. On leaving the hotel, the staff cheered good luck and upon returning after a loss, made us feel better. They manage to pay amazing attention to detail without being uppity at all. The nightly cookies were a wonderful touch.
Room 816 was small and had compromised storage space. The tub/shower was difficult to crawl in and out of, but the bed was awesome. We slept late every morning. Great location for exploring and the walk to the Garden was a piece of cake. All and all, the best hotel experience I have ever had.

1 Thank BethWV
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Satai Hotel, which was amazing. Service was top notch, rooms were amazing, Food was excellent. I highly recommend this hotel if you are big in receiving the best service your money could buy. The kind of service you find more uptown NY. The use of the Chauffer driven Maserati was an excellent touch. I stayed in the one bedroom suite, which had all the amenity home would offer. Love the big bay windows even though, the view was not the best view of mid-town. All the appliance were new and high tech, took me a while to figure out that the microwave was build into the full oven. The build in wall i-Pod docking station in the wall which played trough the bedroom TV was a nice touch.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BastienPhotography
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Stayed at this delightful hotel for 4 days with my husband for a short break Room was spacious, fresh and airy and delightful to come back too after walking around Manhattan all day. We were on the 10th floor overlooking 36th and could hardly hear any noise at all from the street below. The bathroom was spacious with 2 sinks, a huge sunken bath and a separate shower. Housekeeping is excellent and all the front of house staff are delightful. Kinmberly our Personal Assistant was so pleasant and helpful. Will definitely return to this hotel. We didn't eat in the hotel but had a few drinks in the bar which was extremely buzzy with a jazz trio in the evenings.

1 Thank MsMarple1
cleveland, ms
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Spouse and I celebrated her birthday at this new hotel. Jet Luxury Resorts provided an incredible deal, and I am glad I took it. They delivered a birthday cake to our room soon after we had arrived. The cleanliness of the property and attention to detail was outstanding. The fully stocked refrigerator (with soft drinks and water) and the cappucino machine in the room provided a nice touch to our room. We never touched the front door of the hotel--a doorman was always there to open the door, call us by our name, and ask if we needed assistance with directions. I will definitely stay at this hotel again, and I will book it through Jetluxuryresorts.com.

1 Thank mekoonce