“Not amazing but above average”

Langham Place, New York
Ranked #21 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Was the place clean - yes. Did they provide snacks, laundry services, and even slippers...yes. Was it the most amazing hotel I've ever stayed in - no. First off, see if there are rooms where your cell phones will work. Myself and other collegues needed to be near our windows in order to get proper cell phone reception.The bathroom shower/tub for my room was one unit - it was spotless with a rain showerhead- although the tub itself while ok for me could be difficult for another to get in and out of without sitting on the side of the tub. Additionally the bathroom countertop appeared to be a bit older and in need of some fresh caulk. While there are plenty of pillows on the bed, they turn to mush when you lay on them so you may need 2 or 3 to be comfortable. Also I stared up at my ceiling I could not figure out how there were 2 full sets of fingerprints on the ceiling as the bed is like 2 feet off the ground and the ceiling is like 12 feet tall (and the ceiling was bare). Additionally if you are someone with longer clothes (like a female with a dress) I did not see in the closet where that type of clothing would be accomodated (I had to hang my pants in half on hangers). Maybe other rooms had different closets. I can say I did appreciate the individual shoe racks.

Would I stay there again - yes if the price was right (I had a corporate rate so I was not paying). It is centrally located which is another plus.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Liv2010UK
There are newer reviews for Langham Place, New York

Reviewed 22 January 2012

The discounted wotif.com room was tiny and looked into a noisy construction site which got very noisy from 6.30am on Sat morning. The hotel did kindly move us to a nicer room for the remainder of our stay but it's bad luck if you end up with one of the rooms facing the demolition next door. Breakfast food was good, service very slow. All the staff are very keen to please however and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Worldtraveller298
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We recently stayed at the Setai for my son's 21st Birthday celebration and we had two rooms. Most of the reviews already mention how incredible this property is so forgive me where I am redundant..it was just a lovely place so I want to review my stay anyway! We arrived on Friday afternoon and were greeted by a very caring and friendly staff. They showed us to our rooms which are exactly as they appear in the photos, including the spacious and beautiful bathrooms. When I was booking, a travel agent made the comment "why would you stay ay place that isn't as nice as your home?" The Setai certainly is. The beds are very comfortable, wonderful high thread count linens and plenty of pillows. The drapes are controlled electronically which is nice since they have wonderful large windows. Closet space and bedside tables are understated and ample. They do offer complimentary pressing of 5 items which I thought was fantastic but we did not need it. Complimentary shoe shine is also available if you leave your shoes out before 1am they are back with the morning paper! Bathrooms have been written about in previous posts and I agree...they are fantastic. They are elegant and functional. The tub is oversized which both my son and husband appreciated since they are both tall. Separate glassed in shower with Grohe fixtures was great. We did enjoy the breakfast and room service but did not have the opportunity to eat in the restaurant.
Most importantly, I mentioned we were there for a birthday and we were excited to take advantage of the hotel car service as they have a Maserati. It is available on a first come first serve basis. On the evening we wanted to use the car to go to dinner we found it unavailable. I explained it was my son's birthday and the staff said they would get back to us if they could help in any way. They called and had arranged for a car service to take us, in a Mercedes AMG no less! We would have been able to get to the restaurant regardless but it was this type of initiative that was certainly the extra touch. We later found out that the house car had been hit by another vehicle. It was never used as an excuse or mentioned which was a sign of higher standards for the staff.

As I mentioned the photos are not taken with a wide angle lens giving you some false hope of a spacious room. They are in fact large comfortable rooms for any city and especially so in New York.

The staff is by far one of the most helpful and enjoyable groups I have encountered. The tone is the same regardless of who you talk to and they seem to be in sync with one another. They are quick to answer a question and pleasant but not cloying.

The location is very convenient in Midtown so getting anywhere is easy whether by cab, subway, or walking.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Toada1
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Stayed here with my partner for 12 nights in November 2011. It was my first time in NY and I couldn't have asked for anything better. The room was wonderful and the bathroom even better! Loved the little touches (complimentary items pressed on arrival, delicious pretzel or cookies on the bed after the evening turn down, in room espresso machine, complimentary mineral water and soft drinks in the mini bar). The breakfast was phenomenal and cooked to perfection every morning. The location was brilliant! - within walking distance to everything. Special mention to Kimberley (one of the concierges) who was so pleasant and so helpful and so gracious with her time. All in all a wonderful stay. Love NY now and staying at The Setai certainly helped.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blam11
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My friends and I had a "spa weekend" at The Setai Fifth Avenue and it was simply amazing! The rooms were awesome (spacious, modern with fabulous bathrooms & great products!), the spa treatments were terrific & the spa itself was huge for NYC with plenty of space to lounge around, pools, saunas & steam rooms ...and very friendly & accommodating staff. We had dinner right in the hotel at Ai Fiori, which was beyond delicious and an exquisite dining experience! All in all, it was an amazing experience and the 4 of us highly recommend this luxurious hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pamela J
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My stay in this hotel was perfection itself. I already felt welcome when i made my booking by phone. Upon arrival i was upgraded to a studio suite. extremely spacious, the best closet and drawer space ever, a HUGE bathroom with tub and shower, the right level of electronic complexity! Most important to me was the all pervasive generosity; the free soft drinks in the minibar, the 5 items for pressing offered free. the llarge cosmetics in the bathroom-- all this made a huge difference, not in price but in feeling well taken care of.
From now on it will be my New York hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BagsParis_france
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We had a split trip between New York and Puerto Rico to celebrate my 50th birthday. Our first stop in New York was three nights at the Setai. We later spent a night at the Casablanca hotel in Times Square on the way back through to pick up our flight home.
We had an Avenue apartment suite on the 20th floor of the Setai (room 2005), which provided some great views across the city. This was slightly let down by the building works taking place next door several floors below us, which generated noise (although not excessive noise) from 7.30am.
The Setai is in a good central location and well placed for getting to either uptown or downtown Manhattan and within walking distance of the Empire State Building.
The suite was extremely spacious, and fitted out in contemporary style. It had a huge bathroom with a kitchen including a washing machine and dryer. The complementary soft drinks and the Nespresso machine coffee were re-stocked daily. The bed was big and very comfortable. It also had a few high tech features such as electric curtains in the bedroom and TV in the bathroom mirror. The hotel also provided tasty treats such as the arrival truffles, a fresh pretzel with mustard every afternoon and a cookie on our pillow every night left by the turn-down service.
The hotel is very chic and the service slick. I thought that the staff were very well trained, courteous and friendly. There were always plenty of staff on duty.
We only ate breakfast in the hotel once, which was fairly average and very expensive. We had a couple of light meals in the bars, which were excellent, particularly the fish dishes. The bar is slightly let down by the mediocre draft beers on offer and service which is bit slow for a 5 star hotel, but it has live jazz several nights a week and is a really nice place to end the evening.
You need to search around for good rates for this hotel. We obtained a really good discount by booking through Hotels.com via the Trip advisor
Overall, we had a great stay at the Setai. I could find very little to fault with it. I would recommend staying there.

Room Tip: try to get a room in one of the upper floors, which reduces noise and imporves the view
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple