Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue
Ranked #24 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New Orleans, Louisiana
“WOW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

What a wonderful hotel. The personal assistants will make certan that all of your requests are taken care of. The beds are not my favorites as they are low to the floor and at times a bit uncomfortable.

t

3 Thank Byron A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Setai in early June. We treated ourselves to a really lovely hotel and we were not disappointed. Everything about this hotel were great - the room was big, the bed comfy, the service was outstanding, the food was good and was in a great location. It was our first time in NYC so we wanted to do all the touristy things and this was a great base. Can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

1 Thank JES81Uk
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Well I wasn't 100% sure about booking the Setai. Our default hotels are usually the Four Seasons and the Mandarin Oriental and despite the high rating on TA I was unsure about an unknown hotel. I shouldn't have worried.

The hotel is excellent. The guy at check-in was a delight, really charming, personable and efficient, reflective of all the staff we encountered during our 8 night stay. We'd booked a studio suite (which doesn't come with kitchen) and I was prepared to ask to a room with a view over 5th Ave, but as it happens our allocated room came with the view. Our room (1004) was huge, with a large dressing area and a large bathroom. It was all quite high spec, with a large TV, Nespresso machine, ipod dock and a bathroom TV. The bed was large and very comfortable. As many have pointed out, the soft-drink mini bar is free as, is the wi-fi, both count very highly with me! Also some of the best hotel slippers I have encountered. As others have pointed out, the rooms are rather beige - an accent of burgundy, I feel, would not go amiss in any future design updates. But no matter.

The staff I thought was excellent - all very personable without being too in-your-face. The concierge offered good recommendations for eating out and for the cinema. The hotel car was often in use, but we usually preferred to walk so we didn't enqire of its availability very often. We had a couple of massages at the Spa, which were very good and typically priced for New York.

We only have a couple of criticisms. Firstly, our requests made to the personal assistants, whether by phone or in person, were often not responded to. When we told that a blu-ray player or a pillow or housekeeping would be sent to our room, it usually wasn't. Most of our requests required repeat calls before our they were fulfilled - the management needs to address this, because this lack of service is not in keeping with the high standards evident in the rest of the hotel. Secondly, breakfast was a tad pricey for my liking. Our light breakfast (me: bagel, him: eggs benedict, plus coffee and orange juice) came to, I think, $110 all in. While I have money to spend, I don't like to waste it. Thirdly, not enough hangers for two people. Small points, but one likes to give a full picture.

If I were to come back for a long weekend and hadn't been to New York before I would probably stay somewhere closer to Central Park, but otherwise I would come back to the Setai time and again. It seemed excellent value to me, when compared with the Mando and Four Seasons. Overall, I am very impressed and very pleased with my choice.

Room Tip: Room 1004 had a view of 5th Ave.
1 Thank Minnie17
, Director of Sales at Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for your detailed feedback. We greatly appreciate your comments and are thrilled to hear about your experience at The Setai Fifth Avenue.
We have made note of your comments to include the Personal Assistants, breakfast and the hanger count. Additionaly hangers are always available, anytime, through our Housekeeping Team.
We thank you again for taking the time to complete this review and look forward to welcoming you back to The Setai Fifth Avenue.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Very trendy, luxurious hotel with an amazing staff! Stayed here for business. My room was upgraded to a premium room I believe and it was very large compared to other NYC hotels. They delivered a snack to my room mid-day and evening plus turn down service. My room had an espresso machine, small refrigerator, huge closet, huge bathroom (3 people could fit in the bathtub) and TV in the mirror in the bathroom (see pics). The staff from the front desk to logistics for our meeting were amazing and extremely helpful! The food served during our meeting days was great tasting, beautifully displayed and unique everyday. We had more help with technical and a/v support, the food & drinks, and other special requests during our meeting than we could ask for. Would highly recommend staying here if you are splurging on a hotel or budgeted for the daily room rate.

Location is an easy walk to Time Square.

One note....Avoid getting a room with view of construction on building next door. The construction noise will wake you early if you are trying to sleep in. Plus when you open the curtains, you are looking right at the construction workers and they are looking right at you.

Room Tip: Avoid getting a room with view of construction on building next door. The construction noise will w...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lovetraveling8804
New Orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Just returned from 4 night stay at The Setai. Upon arrival all the staff including the bell hops, concierge, and reception were so friendly, and accomodating - and all had the best attitude. Every staff person had a huge smile on their face and many would greet us by our names.
We had a beautiful studio suite, which was very spacious with modern decor. The bedding including the sheets and pillows were all the finest. The bathrooms were wonderful with double sinks, lots of counter space and a TV in the mirror. The bathroom towels were very luxurious! The walk in shower was very large and the soaking tub was gigantic! I have never been in a hotel with so much closet and storage space. There were drawers everywhere. The refrigerator was filled with complimentary drinks and at turn down there were treats including cookies and popcorn. There were large picture windows in the living area and also the bathroom. Their were 2 other flat screen televisons - 1 across from the bed, and another one in the sitting area. The lighting in the room was excellent. The housekeeping staff cleaned our rooms 2x a day to perfection!
We were impressed with everything the hotel had to offer. The bar was a great place for a drink and had jazz music nightly.If you are looking for a Fabulous hotel in a great location this is the hotel for you. The managers of the hotel should be proud of all their staff for making our stay so special.

2 Thank Sally6
, Director of Sales at Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear of your wonderful experience. We truly appreciate the great comments regarding our accommodations and most importantly, our staff. We pride ourselves on providing the ultimate guest experience.
Your pictures are terrific; thank you sharing them as well!
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Setai Fifth Avenue and thank you again for sharing your experience.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

I was nervous about my trip to New York - my first trip to America, and bringing my two teenage children. However, when we arrived at the Setai, any concerns were allayed as we were greeted by the very courteous Brett who whisked our cases in from the taxi almost before they hit the pavement. He gave us a tour, yes literally, of our room - a double Queen bedded suite with a hallway, dressing area and magnificent bathroom. The bedroom was a very comfortably large area with amply stocked minibar ie with complimentary soft drinks which was kept well stocked throughout out our stay. The room was very well serviced twice a day, was always very clean, everything neatly arranged or folded, and cookies left each afternoon etc. Nothing was too much trouble. The room looked over 5th Avenue and we were never bothered by other guest noise at night - evening traffic noise was not intrusive. The beds were very comfortable. The bar provided very good food in the evening. I particularly liked the security - there was always someone greeting you at the entrance. The lifts required a card swipe to take you to your floor which made me feel very safe with my children.

The location I thought was amazing. Two blocks from the Empire State building and a walk up 5th Avenue offers fabulous shops, the Public Library - do go in it is beautiful, Bryant Park, the Rockefeller Centre, Trump Tower, and after 20 minutes Central Park. Handy also for Central Station which is also lovely. Two minutes South brings you onto 34th Street for more shopping.

We loved our stay at the Setai and were really grateful to the Personal Assistants who were very proactive in offering their help and advice. I would definitely book the Setai again if I visit New York, and I think it made our trip all the more special. A special thank you to Norma, Brian, Kimberley, Brett and Jeff in the bar :). We miss you!

Room Tip: Our room was a double queen bed suite which was adjacent to a similar room and both could be used by...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Gilly W
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

We've just returned from a few nights stay at the SETAI 5th Avenue. The hotel did not deliver on my expectations of 5*. In my view it is more a 3* star aspiring to a 4*.

We have stayed in 5* hotels all over the world. We expected more for our money from the Setai. I have recently email the Capella Management on some issues...so far they have not responded or addressed any of the complaints we mentioned.

On arrival we were greeted with a gift...breakfast vouchers for $90 dollars per day. Don't be fooled by this...hotel staff will try and get you to spend at least double this so that charges are added to the bill. The breakfast waitress told us...you can have what you want it will not be added...but it was charged as we paid for it!

Took 3 telephone calls before I received extra coat hangers.

Rooms on lower floors look onto dingy dull and depressing alleyway. We asked to be moved and were moved at 10 pm the following evening.

Its in a tacky location, lacks a mature responsible manager on site...go elsewhere in New York.
SETAI - very dissappointing and not worth the extra money we paid.

1 Thank Mor_vey62
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Setai Fifth Avenue. We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused during your visit with us.
We regret that there was miscommunication regarding the Continental Breakfast credit which you received and any additional breakfast items you may requested/ordered.
It would be our pleasure to adjust any extra charges incurred at Breakfast. May I kindly request that you contact me directly in order for me to do so - I may be reached at 212-613-8733 or at anne.maurice@setaififthavenue.com

Again, thank you for your much appreciated feedback.

Best,