“Very spacious but lacks atmosphere”

Langham Place, New York
Ranked #18 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We recently had a 4 night stay at the Langham Place, Fifth Avenue.
It's a very modern and stylish hotel which has great appeal when you first arrive on the very busy Fifth Avenue.
The reception staff very helpful and we received a free upgrade upon check in after I requested this. We had an empire corner suite which was like a very spacious 1 bedroom apartment for NY standards.
When you first enter the room it is rather dark and unlit due to all the wood panelling. There is a separate lounge, separate bedroom and bathroom. Firstly the separate lounge was useful as it had a desk and a spacious lounge and TV. The lounge was a bit dirty and grotty so was not keen on sitting down on it.
The bed was excellent and very soft and cozy but very low to the ground. Good use of electronic blinds but the lighting in the room was very poor. Also another desk in the room which for us is so helpful as we both work remotely on laptops every day and night from the room. Make sure you request a higher floor as you will not hear the traffic. The view was just ok - nothing special even in a corner room and with the empire state building directly in front of you..
The bathroom extremely clean and spacious and the skincare range was lovely.
There is plenty of cupboard and draw space with a semi walk in robe to unpack if staying a few days.

Overall a very clean and pleasant stay but felt it lacked atmosphere particularly the décor of the rooms. I would rather a more boutique hotel with softer, plusher interiors. Also the hotel's bar is a bit cold and boring so not very enthusiastic about even having a drink late upon arrival on our first night.

Room Tip: Request a room higher up to avoid ALL street noise. Also a corner suite will help the light into the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank VIP_Holidays
LanghamPlaceNYC F, Director of Sales at Langham Place, New York, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue.
We have made note of your lighting comment, which we are addressing.
All of the hotels windows are double pane; regrettably, it is quite impossible to muffle all of the cities various noises despite the coated windows.
We appreciate your feedback regarding the décor of the accommodations and Measure lounge. We are planning exciting adjustments in the imminent future.
Thank you again for your time. We look forward to welcoming you back to Langham Place, Fifth Avenue.

Anne-J Maurice
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed in LP for 4 nights as part of a 40th birthday celebration. I have stayed in a number of top hotels in NYC including places like the Waldorf Astoria and NY Palace, but I can say without doubt that this was by far the best and I won't be staying anywhere else in future. I stayed in a junior suite with Empire state view (and boy what a view!) and I would echo the comments of other reviewers about the high standard of the rooms and all the nice extra touches. What really stood out for me re the rooms was simply the size. NYC is notorious for small hotel rooms and I've paid more money to stay in smaller rooms / suites at other hotels. However the suite was incredibly spacious and felt more like an apartment than a hotel room. More importantly, my girlfriends were staying in cheaper smaller rooms on the eighth floor but they were still hugely spacious and decorated to the same high standard as mine with the same extras, so they were particularly pleased.

Everything about LP is top notch and execution is flawless. However what really makes this hotel the best are the staff. Everyone, without exception, was as warm and helpful as you could ask for, from reception to bar staff to housekeeping to guest services and so on. You expect good service at a hotel in this price range but at LP it was just a bit more genuine / human than at other places. A special stand out mention must go to the personal assistants (concierges) who were fantastic at helping us with our itinery, especially Mr Luis Vasquez. He managed to get us some reservations at some really great restaurants who treated us very well on learning that we were celebrating a birthday, and this also extended to the hotel itself where we received free drinks in the bar one night when we were watching the resident jazz band (awesome band btw). Thank you Luis for helping to make our stay such a good one! It was much appreciated.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this hotel or any suggestions for improvements. The rooms, location, staff and value for money were all fantastic. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank YorkJadey
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Let's start with the obvious-this hotel is expensive (I stayed on a random weeknight for biz and it was north of 500 for the night for just a basic king room with no view to speak of) but it really competes with some of the best and most luxurious in the city.

For starters the service was outstanding. The check in attendant was funny, attentive and informative. She explained all features of the hotel and location of facilities etc. The housekeeping staff and turndown staff were friendly but also asked me if I needed anything while i was in the hall-again i expect this for 500 plus a night but you don't always get it.

The rooms were gorgeous with a sleek and clean modern design-the hotel is 3 years old so the rooms are very fresh. Satelitte TV channels for all interests and preferences, Nespresso espresso machine's, free fridges stocked with complimentary soft drinks, bottled water and pellegrino-even a complimentary umbrella in the closet to use which really came in handy because I had forgotten mine and it was pouring when I was on my way to my meeting. Bathroom-beautiful marble sunken tubs with rain shower and high product. Room was spotless and turndown service included a gourmet sugar cookie and a bottle of mineral water placed at bedside. Complimentary ride in the Masarati was a straight up trip and a half.

The bar "measure" was swanky with excellent cocktails. It's amazing how good a simple whiskey and soda can be when it's made properly and some dirtbag franchise owner hasn't swapped out the premium liquor for cheap label stuff. Oh here is a novel idea-thank you for using ginger ale out of a bottle so that it was fresh and had carbination instead of giving me some yellow piss water from a dirty tap and ruining my Jame-o.

Would recommend, would return-better for business obviously if you can break out the expense account.

2  Thank Gpards
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed at the Langham two nights for a business conference. My impression was one of understated professional elegance. The rooms were very well appointed, clean and the beds and pillows were like sleep magnets. The staff was caring, professional, well-trained and always available. I never had a full meal there but the snacks and h'ordeuvers were excellent. The location was close to attractions, but far enough away to feel that I was not a tourist.

2  Thank Pixelpanderer
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stayed for 6 nights at the end of August while in NYC for our wedding. Can't speak highly enough about the level of service. Housekeepers, concierge, personal assistants - everyone was incredibly helpful and service was always extremely prompt. Room was large and comfortable with great amenities and views. We have great memories of our wedding in New York and we picked the perfect hotel as our base. Will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mr and Mrs K
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Everything was excellent.. Great location and value for your money. I I used the restuarant and service and food was great. Paper was delivered to your room early. Coffee in the lobby early in the morning. We also had coffee in the room. As a business person who travels this is great to start your day as you normally have something to review prior to your meeting. So I would stay at this hotel on future vists to the city. Thanks.

2  Thank lstone67
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Great experience at this hotel. Rooms very spacious. Staff very friendly and helpful throughout the stay. Restaurant Al Fiori was outstanding. Wifi worked very well. Room faced busy Fifth Avenue and could not hear a thing outside. Also, I didn't take advantage of it but the free shoe shine and free pressing of up to 5 pieces of clothing is a great touch. Food in meeting rooms was very good. A really great hotel. Recommend it highly.

3  Thank JEC132013