“The best way to do NYC!”

Langham Place, New York
Ranked #18 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 April 2014

As an avid traveler, I'm always tough on hotels. I booked this hotel due to its location in the city - as well as other travelers' reviews. It was also the former Setai which I have loved the sister properties in other cities. I had never stayed at a Langham but its reputation proceeds the hotel. I was blown away by the room, the service and the bar/restaurant. I highly recommend this grand hotel for those looking for luxury and white glove service. The staff were super attentive and obliging.

Room Tip: Listen to the other reviews about tips for higher floors.
1  Thank Bonvoyage2010

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is the best kept secret in New York city. the rooms are great, the staff is amazing and the experience is second to none. Don't be fooled by the touristy location, that just makes it easier to get around town faster. You will not be disappointed. Dominick, Euginia, Eloise, Jonathon, Derrick and everyone else who is on site will see to it that you too will have a positive experience like we did.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

i know this because it was heaven on earth and all ones needs are met the staff were readily available angels!.. The professionalism, elegance and politeness of the staff is incredible. The room is just spectacular.. I will reiterate that what called my attention the most is the staff. This will be my one and only Hotel in New York from now on . ty ...Michael R

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Langham Place is conveniently located on Fifth Avenue within comfortable walking distance from several 'sights' including the Empire State Building (literally a few minutes away), Grand Central Station (10 minutes), the Chrysler Building and Central Park via various shops en-route.

The welcome and check in relatively late at night was friendly and efficient. And, as this was our first visit to New York, we were treated to a room upgrade! I must say we were not disappointed - having booked a standard room (on the assumption we would be sight-seeing most of the time) the upgrade to room 1603 facing Fifth Avenue provided for a small entry lobby leading off one way into a spacious bedroom come seating area and study, and the other way into a large bathroom with his and her sinks, a separate shower, bath and WC plus a huge mirror with integrated TV. Off the bathroom was a spacious walk-in wardrobe (and large safe).

The amenities included complimentary soft drinks, a Nespresso coffee machine, plus a delicious slice of shortbread at turndown service! Don't miss the shortbread! Tea making facilities are available on request.

The hotel encompasses a pleasant lobby lounge with live Jazz nightly. The lounge is a nice place to chill especially if you like Jazz, but drinks are not inexpensive, especially cocktails. We did not have breakfast at the hotel so can't comment and we chose not to dine at the fancy restaurant although we did notice it was packed so I assume it must be good despite the high cost?!

Alternatively, there are a handful of restaurants nearby and right opposite a Pret plus a local café on the corner (out of the hotel turn right). Soho is a 15 minute taxi ride away and if there is specific restaurant you want to try I recommend you book to avoid disappointment. Failing that you could always pop to Grand Central Station which includes a variety of food outlets.

Concluding as regards the hotel, the Langham was conveniently located, the room exceeded our expectations and the staff were all friendly and for the most part efficient. For the standard of hotel and the location the cost represented fair value for money in my opinion. Not a bargain by any means, but fair.

Would we return to this hotel? Whilst we would have no objection to returning to this hotel, I think we would be inclined to try elsewhere (next time) purely to soak up an alternative experience. Langham Place was very nice indeed but probably not a location we will remember for the rest of our lives! But perhaps the same applies to all city hotels?

Room Tip: A high floor is better to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drbhongkong
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We found the "langham" in Auckland, NZ. We fell in love. So when we set out for our 5 th time to NY we decided to stay at the langham. I LOVED it. From the service to the awesome rooms this is a must. They have a great "lounge bar". Wonderful "specialty" cocktails ( I think I'm now a bourbon drinker) nice restaurant il fiori. Honestly stay here easy walk to Times Square and everywhere

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Wish we could give this hotel negative stars - that's how bad our experience was.

We actually changed our reservation from the Mandarin Oriental NYC to this hotel based on the reviews from TripAdvisor. Boy was that a mistake.

We had a truly terrible experience at the Langham NYC. We arrived with high expectations, but the difficulties began immediately. Our room was not available when we arrived at 2:15. The front desk employee suggested that we take a tour of the spa, which we did, and then waited around in the very small lobby until 3:00 (when check in is supposed to be guaranteed). While we waited in the lobby, we noticed that other clients, whose rooms were also not ready, were escorted into the Measure Lounge and offered complimentary refreshments.

Shortly after 3PM, I went to the front desk again asking if our room was ready. The employee informed me that not only was our room not ready but she did not know when it would become available. I clearly communicated that I was not happy with both how we had been treated so far and the fact that no room was available. The employee then found us a room and informed me that we had been upgraded.

Later that night, we found out that the our room was not an upgrade at all but in fact a TWO CATEGORY DOWNGRADE from what we booked. (The upgraded room was supposed to have 1.5 baths and the room we were in did not, which began our discovery of the downgrade.) More importantly, based on the communications that we had with the hotel, we remain convinced this was not an innocent mistake, but that we were intentionally lied to. I can only guess that this happened because I was complaining about the check-in process and the fact that my room was not available at 3:00.

We are still shocked at the audacity of this employee to lie to my wife's face regarding a room upgrade when she knew full well that it was actually a downgrade (by not one but two levels). We also question her ethics - had we not found out about the room downgrade, we would have paid a much higher rate (for the higher level room that we booked).

Positives:
The rooms are new and spacious.
We received good service from the doormen.
House car was a great perk and readily available.
Gym was large and had many cardio machines and weights.
Complimentary sodas and waters in the mini bar.
Daily cleaning service was really good.

Negatives:
The hotel location is not great – a little too far from central park and most mid-town restaurants to walk.
Service by front desk (see above) was terrible.
Turn down service was mixed.

Room Tip: Request an Empire State building view. Although we were supposed to get that, with our downgrade...
11  Thank twosquares
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Langham Place - @ NYC “The COE”; (Centre of Excellence).
If you were to draw a Google search line around this prestigious establishment it would cover everything New York in style!.

Langham Place was my/our true North for all NYC on this once in a lifetime visit holiday.
Comments and advice from Trip advisor were absolutely spot on, moreover did not disappoint in any aspect, TA was also insightful, honest and extremely accurate on customer feedback which made this choice from distance all the more comfortable.

Outstanding Excellence, Superb Quality, Truly Memorable visit and would stay here again without hesitation......
This was a truly luxurious experience with the Langham s amazing views to Chrysler, Empire and all the way up Fifth Avenue to match.

It was the small things that appealed to me the most at Langham Place, well appointed gym with fruit and water, seamless multi device wi-fi, complimentary drinks, even the making of a bespoke grilled cheese sandwitch with shoe string fries at the bar after walking ten blocks in the rain at midnight, even hand lotion on demand!.
If travelling from oversea’s this is a must for the traveller who enjoys quality without compromise.
PS.
Special mention and my personal thanks go out to Eric and all of the LP Front of House and services teams, with special mention to “Dritoni” (Toni) for his exceptional attention to detail and ability to assist. This included room alterations, the changing of Travellers cheques at 10pm and directions to a great Chinese restaurant ie @ “China Cafe NYC” 37th street..
Best regards travellers.

Room Tip: All rooms are appointed supurbly but spend the extra on a corner room with multiple views. If a spec...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple