“Great staff, wonderful location and generous services !!”

Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue
Ranked #21 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Great staff, wonderful location and generous services !!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My wife and I recently travelled to NYC and stayed at the Langham Place. We have never stayed there before but I chose the hotel because it came with flights and accommodation on a known travelling website. I opted for a superior king room.

The hotel is ideally located on 5th Avenue between 37th and 36th streets, hence the Empire State Buidling is a couple of blocks down (on 34th street) with Macy's and Victoria Sectrets on the same street. Uptown is Saks and other luxury brand stores, and if you are for a walk you could reach central park on 59th Street.

The Times Square is less than 10 minutes walk (43rd to 48th street) crossing Broadway and 8th avenue. The advatange to stay at the Langham is you won't have the same level of noise as you would encounter when staying any nearer to Times Square.

The local area is thus reach with things to do and very good restaurants. the favourites are Keenz Steakhouse (36th street West), just less than 200 yards from the hotel and the hotel's Ai Fiori.

As usual, I contacted the hotel in advance and managed to get a room with view looking at the Empite State Building. Our room was on 9th floor and facing another buidling so you would have to look up out of the window but it was view nevertheless.

The room was spacious and well appointed with a desk and large LCD TV. The window shutter and lights are controlled bedside which is useful. The bathroom is marble and huge, my wife and I aren't fans of open space bathroom and WC though. Nevertheless the amenities are of high quality. Moreover, the minibar is filled everyday with soft drinks and water, compliment of the hotel! My wife and I rarely had to purchase a drink. Now how about that for generosity and value
for money?! Even more, the hotel offers press service for up to 5 items on arrival!!

My only gripe is with the room's broadband service which was intermittant and I had to frequently keep logging otherwise it is fast enough and costs $60 for 3-4 nights, which is not too bad.

I had some business to attend to whilst in NYC but my wife is all praise of the swimming pool and spa. They offer apple and drinks for free BTW!!

The main attraction of the hotel, IMHO, are the staff. From the moment we arrived at the hotel's doorstep to the moment we left, everything went smooth and we were greeted with geniune smiles and greet you wherever. The staff were always keen to assist and the service was prompt. We asked for electric adaptor and it was delivered within less than 10 minutes, and to be exact 3 were delivered simultaneously.

We have only praise for Langham Place and the staff. We wish to thank Tony, Dwayne, Yankee and those who we did not get to know their name for their excellent service.

Highly recommended !!

Room Tip: Contact the hotel sometime before arriving to book for best rooms and views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great room! Great amenities ! Location was perfect for everything in the city!
Mini is stocked with the best for family! Love the nespresso maker in the standard room.
Will probably stay at this hotel again when in the city.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have fantastic views!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gdaverett
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Having stayed at Langham in Hong Kong, I wasn't expecting too much from this hotel. You can see why, in my earlier review of the Langham in Hong Kong.

I had booked the premier place room for 4 nights. The room was very spacious and among other regular things, included a Nespresso coffee maker, complimentary minibar, 4 complimentary pressing, $ 50 credit at the Ai Fiori restaurant and drop offs to your destination within Manhattan by the hotel Maserati. Too good to be true? I thought so too but was pleasantly surprised that it was all there.

The service was exemplary, something one doesn't often find in hotels in NYC. My flight arrived at 8:30 a.m. and after travelling for 25 hours before arriving in NYC it was a blessing to be greeted with an early check-in. The doorman, the bellboy, the concierge desk, the front desk, all made a very good impression on me throughout my stay. Being a diabetic, I had requested that the minibar be changed to all "no sugar" drinks and it was done within a few minutes. Being on business I had to hurry out in the morning, leaving the room, my clothes & a large array of electronics on my desk in a massive mess. Everything was neatly folded and arranged ready for use on my return. One might think that this is basic but you would be happy to see the extent they go to with their arrangements.

The Ai Fiori restaurant is great. They have a jazz band playing in the evenings, a bit loud but nice. I had lunch there & the food was of very high quality.

The personal assistant service isn't really that great, you might as well just call the front desk. There were times when I called and had no response so ended up calling the front desk instead. However, this is a minor issue I am willing to overlook based on everything else being so good.

I have stayed in many hotels in NYC & this one is now my favourite. I used to like the London NYC hotel but that has gotten to get a old and tardy feel to it. Furthermore, the Langham is much better located.

Love this hotel.

Room Tip: Get the premier place room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank MuneerH
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Langham Place for 11 nights in May. The location is excellent. So good in fact, it's difficult to think of a top-tier hotel in a better, more central location.

A couple of blocks from the Empire State, short walk to Times Square, subway, Flat Iron, Rockefeller Centre, even Central Park is only a 15-20 minute walk. Once you become familiar with surroundings, you'll find yourself walking more and more.

We were upgraded on check in to a better room with a small lounge area - for the price we paid - around $700 AUD (including all taxes) I expected a room with a view.

The website has pictures of bathtubs with vista views across the city. Instead we found ourselves on a low floor with absolutely zero view. If a view is important to you, this hotel can be hit or miss.

I assume our initial room could have been kept on a higher floor, but I'm still glad we accepted the upgrade and sacrificed the view. The windows opened a little to let air in, that was nice on some mornings.

Mixed feelings on entering the room. Nice. But not blown away and again for $700 a night I was expecting to be breathless. Bathroom the highlight. Excellent sized bath and shower. Water pressure wasn't great, 15-20 minutes to fill the bath right up.

I know NYC is expensive and in a league of its own in terms of standards and expectations, but the Langham Place in Mong Kok, Hong Kong had slightly nicer rooms and was better value.

Bed was different. A soft style mattress with a thick pillow top on it. Very comfy, had no problems sleeping. Nice little mini bar in the room, free to consume, that had half a dozen bottles of various soft drinks and bottled water.

One bizarre thing - the room doors to the hallways have quite large gaps, allowing a lot of noise and slamming doors into the room during the night. We covered ours with a towel to quash the intrusion.

Service was somewhat hit and miss.

On more than one occasion I phoned for extra water, and it never arrived. More than once I emailed a document down to the front desk for printing and delivery to room, and it never arrived.

One night, we received no turn down service. These little things kept my rating from being five stars.

The so-called 'personal assistant' assigned to you throughout the stay is rubbish. It's merely a standard concierge desk with the same people working the roster every day.

That said, when I needed direct help booking tickets or asking for a recommendation, the people at the desk did a great job. No problem was too great, except replacing blown light bulb in our room, which required two phone calls to have fix.

For a few nights we were there, Justin Bieber was staying at the hotel, or in an apartment shared by the hotel building. This resulted in many thousands of screaming girls and police surrounding the entrance on one night. Staff seemed a little distracted by this.

Didn't eat and only had one round of drinks in the downstairs bar. Much better value offerings nearby the hotel.

If you want to spend big for great location, a reasonably quiet and peaceful lobby and room floor, this is a great hotel. It's not perfect, but it was my first trip to NYC, so this may very well be as close to perfect as you'll find.

Room Tip: Room on floor 10+ or you won't have a view
1 Thank nelgsta
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We recently stayed at the Langham Place on Fifth Avenue. We have been to NYC more than a dozen times over the years but this was our first stay in this hotel. The location of the hotel is great. It is in the center of everything. The staff was also very helpful and the concierge helped us find several great restaurants. Most of all, riding the hotel's Maserati was just downright cool!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Fresno, California
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed 4 nights in May. I was in a Empire Suite on the 19th floor. First of all the location is great we took the LIRR from the airport as to avoid traffic. It was only a short walk to the hotel. The staff at this hotel is a 10 I was never given a bad attitude about anything. I have stayed at Langham Hotels before and was not disappointed with this one either.

1 Thank Doug D
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided to take a staycation - we live in NYC but wanted a getaway so I could be pampered and relax as I recover from some health related treatments. And what a fantastic weekend it was! I booked using Amex Platinum fine hotels and resorts and it was well worth it for the extras. Our room was upgraded to a suite, early check in wasn't available but lunch was complimentary whilst we waited. We had booked in the spa and it was so relaxing and the staff very friendly. We also booked into the Michelin rated restaurant and went all out with the 7 course tasting menu and a bottle of champagne - fantastic!! We also loved spending the afternoon in the bar area with a window table sampling their fancy cocktails. This place isn't cheap, but the quality comes with the price. We will absolutely return to do this again one weekend in the future!

• Stayed May 2014