“FABULOUS STAY, FANTASTIC STAFF”

The Langham New York Fifth Avenue
Ranked #18 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We are just back from a 7 day stay at The Langham Place hotel on Fifth AVe. Great location, pretty much central to everything. We had a lovely friendly welcome, our room was ready immediatly and Joe the Bell boy brought our luggage straight up and ran through everything in the room with us. Everyone was so warm and welcoming and always had a smile and a little chat for us. Our room was on the 8th floor, lovely and spacious, with a large luxury bathroom, with double sinks and a tv in the mirror. Every night we had a turn down service where they left bottles of water and cookes. The jazz bar was a nice touch, great cocktails and nibbles and the menu was superb. The Ai Fiori Michelin restaurant was outstanding.....that's why it's Michelin starred, staff highly knowledgable of the dishes and just a wonderful night in all.
I would highly recommend this hotel for both location and luxury.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
LanghamPlaceNYC, General Manager at The Langham New York Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your positive review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. We are honored that you chose to stay with us for your first visit to New York. I've passed your compliments onto Joseph, who was very pleased to assist you during your stay.

Francois-Olivier Luiggi

Write a ReviewReviews (2,316)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed in New York for the first time recently, and chose this hotel on the basis of previous reviews. We were not disappointed!
Check in was efficient: we had to wait 10 minutes for the room to be ready but had a drink at the bar whilst we waited. When the room was ready, our bags arrived immediately. One small problem- there was a large bright yellow stain in the middle of the room, and efforts had obviously been made to clean this without success. The bellboy said he would get someone up, but no one appeared in the next hour! The stain remained for our stay but was a minor issue for us.
We chose an executive room with Empire State View. The room was enormous and very luxurious. There was so much space to spread out and it was a real treat to return to our room each night, with a dressing area and huge bathroom. We had a corner room and the views from the floor-length windows were fantastic- especially the lit-up Empire State Building at night. The bed was not huge for American standards but was very comfortable and pillows were great too. Traffic noise was audible but we were in central New York and it was no problem sleeping through it.
We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, choosing to venture out each morning. There was Pret over the road and a nice deli in the other direction. There was also complimentary coffee and soft drinks in the room, which was a really nice touch. The fridge was large and you could fit your own food and drink in there if you wished.
The hotel position was great for exploring New York. Central Park was about 25 minutes walk, and the main shopping area on Fifth Avenue about 10 minutes. Grand Central Station was 5-10 minutes walk and Times Square about 15 minutes walk.
The concierge was always helpful, and Lily was particularly kind to us. She spent a long time trying various restaurants for us to book a table, and recommended a fantastic company to book a helicopter tour with (one of the highlights of our trip and well worth the money spent).
One other small problem was a very rude barman in the bar one evening. But generally staff were good and efficient.
We had an evening flight and we were lucky enough to be able to check out at lunchtime, a little later than usual. Later, we were allowed to use the spa area to have a shower and change, and that was a really nice service after another busy day of sightseeing.
All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. The room we had was out of this world and much nicer than other 5 star hotels we have stayed in previously. We would definitely go back to Langham Place.

Room Tip: executive rooms with Empire State Views are enormous
3  Thank sas44
LanghamPlaceNYC, General Manager at The Langham New York Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your positive review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. We are honored that you chose to stay with us for your first visit to New York. I've passed your compliments onto Lilyann who was very pleased to assist you during your stay.

Please know that we have taken note of all of your comments, positive and negative, in order to continually improve the service we offer our guests. We are looking into the matters you highlighted in your review to ensure they are corrected for the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was the first time I'd stayed in the midtown area and I was really impressed with this hotel - it's a perfect choice in terms of great comfort as well as location at an amazing price! When choosing the hotel this time, I considered places I'd previously stayed at in NYC (like the Ritz Carlton Central Park) but this time it was important to get a suite (as I was travelling with my mum and we wanted a sitting room to relax in and a second half bathroom). Pricing for suites - especially at the size that the Langham Place offered - were about three times the price in these other luxury hotels in the Upper East side. Not only that but our suite at the Langham Place (22nd floor) looked straight out at the Empire State Building. The bathroom was amazing - really well appointed - and there was a small kitchen too, so we were able to make cups of tea when we got back from a day's sightseeing!

However I felt that what differentiated the Langham Place from other NY luxury hotels I have stayed in was the attentive and genuinely kind service. Staff knew this was my Mum's first trip to NYC and they were so kind to us. We were given a welcome gift of wine and chocolate-dipped strawberries and they just couldn't have been nicer. Dennis the Concierge and Yankee at Reception were both exceptional individuals.

The ONLY disappointment is the very lacklustre team serving breakfast in the Ai Fiori restaurant (in the evenings it's a different team and serves excellent Italian food). If breakfast had not been included in my rate I certainly wouldn't have bothered with this and I feel the breakfast team let down the whole hotel. The staff in the Measure Lounge (which serves meals during the day) are as charming as everywhere else in the hotel.
Would totally recommend this hotel but sort out the breakfast team!

Room Tip: Empire suite - it's the way to go!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TM99

Thank you for sharing your \review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. We are so happy you chose to stay with us on for your Mum's first trip to New York. I have passed your compliments onto Dennis and Yankee as well as the staff at Measure Lounge.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

As a solo traveler, couldn't have asked for a more attentive and helpful staff they have in Langham Place Fifth Avenue.

Everything that I had requested for or required assistance with, was solved in a matter of minutes. They are truly a professional bunch and it's one of my best experiences during my time in NYC.

The room is spacious and very cosy. Sometimes it's so cosy it made me didn't want to leave the hotel!

Its location is great too. Accessible to many main attractions --- Grand Central, Bryant Park (my favorite park in NYC!), New York Public Library, Times Square...etc. the nearest subway station is also just around the corner on W 35th Street in Herald Square. Location of the hotel also made shopping a breeze and convenient for avid shopper.

The only regret is I didn't get to ride in the hotel house car because it's first-come-first-served. I ran out of luck this time. However, rest assured I'll be back!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Madam,

Thank you for sharing your positive review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. We are so happy that our staff and services exceeded your expectations during your recent stay with us.

I have passed your compliments onto our staff, who pride themselves on helping our guests create great memories.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

After bad expérience in Waldorf=Astoria , I decide to change my plan and reserve at Langhaam place , a Leading Hotels of the World ( I'm member Leaders Club).
Nice hospitality at check in.
Waow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!effect in my suite.
Very good situation for leisure.

The perfect place and a real landmark in New York.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your positive review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. We are so glad to have had the opportunity to help you create great memories of your trip to New York.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

what a great hotel and best service we've ever seen. we stayed here for our 5 day trip in NYC. rooms are good size, great spot on 5th Ave, close to everything which we wanted to see, housekeeping is spotless and all the other staff, from personal assistant to desk service are absolutely great. they do everything to make it a memorable stay. Especially David and Shean made this trip for our 20-th anniversary unforgettable! Loved the fact that the drinks in your fridge were complimentary, also the fact you can press 5 items on your arrival and even we were lucky to get a little ride in the housecar (the Maserati). So Langham± thank you!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your positive review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. We are so happy you chose to stay with us on on such a special occasion. Happy Anniversary!

I have passed your compliments onto the staff who would be more than happy to serve you again should your travels bring you back to New York.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My fiancé and I arrived at the Langham Place a few days before Christmas, and stayed for two weeks. For starters, we had major problems talking to our 'personal assistant', who was never to be found (we could not get hold of him before our arrival, and things did not change later). We were, however, lucky enough to have a very nice lady helping us out, even if it was later pointed out to us 'we should have contacted our personal assistant'. Upon our arrivel, we were impressed by the location, as well as by the looks of the room (clean, spacious, nicely furnished), but then again were put off by the back office staff, who would give us little to no information about the reservations of the rest of our party (we had names and reservation numbers, and since we are all entitled to room upgrades for being LHW full members, it was left to me to check that out), as they refuse to 'promise anything'. When it came to food, the whole things was rather disastrous. Their main restaurant does not actually belong to the hotel, so the room service comes from the bar, and is extremely unreliable (the food looks something other every day - even eggs and coffee on breakfast -, the items are very poorly described, so you get surprise ingredients you were not expecting for, such as a lot of pepper in your chicken broth, and, well, they did run out of pizza a couple of times). At the main restaurant, dinner is lovely, but breakfast, which, in our case, was included, is just sad: it looked like the staff was miserable and, just as it happened in the room, the dishes varied in shape, colour and form every day. Finally, upon leaving I forgot my phone (an iPhone 5s with all my engagement pictures in it) in the room (I know it was there because I was sick the previous two days and simply did not leave the premisses until it was time to fly back home). It was, however, 'nowhere to be found', even if I called a mere 10 minutes afterwards. The person responsible for that was plain rude, apart from inefficient, and suggested I was not telling the truth. Upon arriving in Switzerland I obviously did not find it in my luggage, as he suggested after the fourth time I called (they would keep me on hold, or say they would look for it 'immediately' and not call me back for hours), so I went to the police to report it. Maybe everyone was just overwhelmed with the amount of tourists there for Holidays, but, hey, tranquillity and good service are the main reasons you choose a luxury hotel in the first place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple