“A Fantastic Hotel!”

Langham Place, Fifth Avenue
Ranked #19 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Langham Place for 4 nights in August, we went to New York to celebrate his 40th Birthday and I wish we had booked a longer trip. The hotel is fab! We booked through Expedia and ended up with a family suite, it was huge! There was a separate kitchen, living room, huge bathroom and bedroom. Lots of storage space and there was even a washing machine and tumble drier. The fridge in the kitchen had some soft drinks which was a nice touch and yummy cookies were left with the turndown service.

The room was very comfortable and it looked exactly like it does on the website, we were on the 25th floor and the view was great.

Great location - a few minutes (if that) from the Empire State Building and a couple of blocks from Times Square.

The staff are lovely - very helpful and because of the delay between checking out and leaving for the airport they offered to let us use the spa facilites to freshen up before the flight.

I can't recommend this hotel enough - it really was fab!

ps - Each morning two types of fruit water are put in the lobby - you must try, they are incredibly refreshing.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
LanghamPlaceNYC, General Manager at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your positive review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. I am so honored that you chose to stay with us for your husband's 40th birthday.

I am so happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your stay. Thank you for noticing the fruit water in our lobby - that was a new addition this Summer. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you again should your travels bring you back to New York. Thank you again for your business!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Me and the crew stayed at the Langham in early August for 3 nights, and I have to say it couldn't be bettered. The room was huge, quiet and well appointed, the staff was amazing and the common parts were stunning. It is so unusual to find a great hotel in NYC, particularly on 5th Ave., and it was pretty good value, particularly based on the room size. The staff really couldn't be more helpful, and really doted over the kids.

I guess if I was being a teensy tiny bit critical (which I am not), then the security staff should deal with the hawkers outside trying to sell you access to the Empire State

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your positive review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. I am so happy that you chose to stay with us when you were in New York.

I want you to know I take note of all feedback, positive and negative. With regards to the hawkers outside, unfortunately although we can control what happens at our front door, the rest of the street is public property. Hopefully, it wasn't too much of a bother for you and your family.

Thank you again for your business. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back should your travels bring you back to New York.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Langham was great as the services provided were spot on and the place was close to midtown attractions, central park, and many more. In addition, Jamal in front desk provided excellent advice and was really kind. He gave us a good first impression of New York. Although the walls don't seem the greatest soundproof walls everything else was ok.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
LanghamPlaceNYC, General Manager at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. I want you to know that I've taken note of all of your feedback, positive and negative, so as to improve our guest service in the future.

I am so pleased that you were happy overall with the experience of staying with us. Thank you for pointing out the issue of the sound-proof walls. I will look into that issue with my staff to see what improvements are possible.

Francois-Oliver Luiggi

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I just spent 3 nights with our 3 kids (ages 6, 8, and11) at the Langham. Great location with easy access to midtown attractions, Central Park, and downtown. What truly stood out for us was the friendliness and hospitality of the entire staff, always ready to help and address your needs. The rooms are also huge, comfortably accommodating a family of 5. The house Maserati with chauffeur providing complimentary drop offs was the cherry on top!

Looking forward to staying there on our next trip to NYC.

1  Thank S_El-Helw
LanghamPlaceNYC, General Manager at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your positive review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue! I am honored that you chose to stay with us when you and your family were visiting New York.

We strive every day to create great memories for our guests. I am so happy that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. And I'm very glad you got to experience our Maserati.

Thank you again for choosing us. I hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you back should your travels bring you to New York again.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My daughter and I just stayed 5 nights at Langham and it was just fabulous. This was our first trip to New York, and we picked the hotel after reading the great reviews onn Tripadvisor. We where not dissappointet.
This was a surprise trip for my daughters 18th birthday, and when we arrived Derek, the PA had arranged for a cake, which was a really nice gesture. We had a large room with a super view of the Empire State building, and it was very clean and beautiful. The staff where all very friendly and helfull. We don't remember all the names, but a special thanks to Derek and Dennis at the concierge desk and the doormen John and Dwayne, and the lovely housekeeping staff.
We where lucky enough to make use of the hotel car, and it was our first time in a Maserati. Not a bad way to get to a restaurant.
The purpose of our trip was both shopping and sightseeing, and the location of the hotel is just great for doing both. I'm sure we'll go back to New York again, and when we do we will stay at Langham.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your positive review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. I am so honored that you and your daughter chose to stay with us on your very first trip to New York.

I will pass your compliments onto our colleagues Derek, Dennis, John and Dwayne, all of whom were thrilled to be of service to you during your visit. I hope your daughter had a very happy and memorable birthday.

Thank you again for your business. I hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you again should your travels brings you back to New York.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 16 nights! To be honest I've never stayed in one place for more than 10 nights, so for us this was a loooong stay. I booked this hotel because of certain features I thought would be suitable for us, it included a washing machine & dryer, it had a small kitchen, a bar area to eat and a separate lounge were the sofa can be converted to a bed. I was somewhat disappointed when I saw the room and there was no bar area to eat in, there was no room to actually prepare in the kitchen and there was no pantry or small cupboard or any area to put your food in. It wasn't a functioning kitchen, did I mention we were here for 16 nights? I mentioned my issues to the front desk about the room on day 2 but being the weekend they couldn't move us. I asked again on day 3, repeating my issues again to reception, they answered with yes we are looking into it and yes we'll move you soon. Then nothing else was done, no one spoke to us again, nothing was resolved. I really didn't want to waste my holiday talking to reception repeating myself over and over again. So the hotel did nothing, not even I'm sorry we can't help you, so we were left to think that they didn't really care, mind you we booked a suite and not just a room costing us $1000 a night, did I mention we were staying for 16 nights? Not the service you expect from a 5 star hotel, at least some communication would have been good, we got sent some complimentary cheese to our room, assume this was sorry but we can't help you?

Apart from that situation, the rooms looks like it's in need of an uplift. The walls needed re painting, the carpet was stained and it just looked tired. Not what you expect from a 5 star hotel. The housekeeping was annoying they kept taking stuff out of the kitchen but not returning it such as the saucepan, bread knife etc. We asked to restock the fridge with water & coke but they never got this right the whole time, they even took stuff out of the fridge once it was restocked. We could tell when the hotel was full as the housekeeping was kept to the bare minimum at these times. At the end of our stay it felt like the room was dusty and the bathroom a bit dirty.

There was no foyer area to relax in, there was a bar area but it wasn't suitable for little ones. Don't order breakfast downstairs, they had a small selection and it was very expensive for what you received. They didn't even know what a Bircher muesli was. The upstairs restaurant was ok but it felt like a corporate meeting place rather an an intimate dinner place. The service & food was just ok, you could find better & cheaper places in NY.

The only thing that made our stay bearable were the porters Saun & Jonathan. They at least greeted us and knew who we were, they made us feel welcome; sometimes (on rare occasions) we were able to use the hotel car which was a bonus. But from looking at the other reviews we didn't get any special treatments, no free tickets to the empire building.

If I was able to do this again I would definitely pick a different hotel. A hotel in the Soho area where there's more nice cafés and shops to go to, and just a nicer area. The langham is so close to the Empire State Building that you get a lot of tourist operators trying to sell you passes all the time, it's just not as pretty an area as Soho.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Hermyleen

Dear Madam,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue in April. We strive every day to improve our guest experience and therefore take serious consideration of all feedback, positive and negative.

Our records show that you were initially booked into an Empire Suite but, based on your feedback about needing a sofa bed, we moved you to a Family Residence Suite. I apologize that this wasn't able to be done as quickly as you would have liked. We have a selection of suites with sofa beds but they are not available in all of our suites, so it was simply a matter of availability. I'm sorry, as well, that it wasn't clear to you that all the rooms didn't have this feature when you made your booking.

I have taken note of your feedback about our housekeeping team. I am sorry that you had that experience and will be working with them to correct it for the benefit of future guests.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. I hope that, should your travels bring you back to New York, you will give us another chance. I would be pleased to welcome you personally.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

By far some of the largest rooms in Manhattan. The kitchen is real with everything to cook your own meal. Attentive staff although the courtesy car was hard to get as it was always busy. Housekeeping and Bellmen were outstanding. Will return. Specially for long stays. Would only improve the size of TV's. They do not match the proportions of the room.

Room Tip: Family Suite was great. Would only add a second shower.