“great new hotel, perfect for a Soho/Tribeca visit”

Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel
Ranked #310 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Really nice new hotel with reasonable pricing and small but functional rooms (about normal for NY, though smaller than Le Parker Meridien and other higher-priced places).

Rooms were new and clean, with great hookup center for computer/dvd player into tv and nice work desk and chair. Was kindly recognized as an SPG Goldmember and got upgraded to a nice club room with pretty city view. Club is beautiful here, with great views from the club terrace and nice outdoor couches.

Biggest issue was the need to swipe your card in the elevator, which sometimes just couldn't read your card, so i (and several others) were stuck several times waiting to have someone else make a lucky swipe, or swiping repeatedly until it worked, while the elevator went around on its own. Although other reviewers complained of noise from Canal Street, we were on a high floor and never heard any traffic noise.

Other than the elevators, the bed was great, room and bathroom was great (with cool new shower), and location was great for a funky chinatown pubcrawl/long walk to to the village. Always appreciate the free Starbucks coffee. Will come again.

Room Tip: higher floors have no traffic noise issues.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael T
Write a ReviewReviews (2,061)

Reviewed 13 March 2012

This hotel needs a company wide seminar on how to treat customers. Customer service does not exist. My husband had a business trip in New York and I tagged along for several days. He left very early Monday morning for work and I was in the hotel room by myself when I realized that the linens on the bed had a stain of poop! Grossed that I had slept on it, I called the front desk. They were neither apologetic nor sensed the grossness of the situation. The front desk notified me that they would be sending someone. They sent one male janitor who came into the room to change the sheets. Again, no apology or anything. About 30 minutes later, still in my PJ's and about to get into the shower, the same male janitor knocked on my door. There had been no call from the front desk so I was wary of opening my door. I opened it and stood at the front door asking what he wanted. He claimed he left his master key inside my room. I told him I had not seen any key but he barged in the room and started searching for it himself. At this point, I was really uncomfortable. Our room was in the corner, I was by myself, and this strange man was basically looking through my stuff. Of course, he didn't find anything and left. I was late for an appointment and didn't stop by the front desk to tell what happened. I came back into the hotel in the late afternoon and asked to see the manager. When I told her of what happened, again, she wasn't very concerned, was condescending, and kept asking me what the big deal the situation was. She referred me to the housekeeping manager who sent me a small box of chocolates to ease the situation. We left the next day. Their valet policy is to call the front desk 30 minutes in advance and they will have the car waiting in the front. (I think the place where they park is actually pretty far and that's how long it takes to walk and drive back). We called it in the next morning at 6am. My flight was leaving at 8:30 so we were cutting it close. We came downstairs after the allotted time to find the wrong car sitting in the front. We informed the front desk that it was the wrong car and they had to call over to the valet deck. Instead of hurrying and trying to get our car back to the hotel, the front desk was more concerned with whose fault they got the number wrong. We didn't care as long as the car got to the hotel ASAP. It took them another 30 minutes to do so. The charge was $49 per night for valet, so my husband wanted to see if they could waiver the last night's valet charge for their mistakes. It has been horrible trying to talk to anyone. No manger has called back. The customer service is non-existent.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank mizo101
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Cons: The rooms can be very tiny, and the elevators are frustratingly slow. The front desk ladies can be a little gruff. In the morning, the cleaning staff sometimes chattered in very loud voices right next to the door.

Pros: Fantastic location! The room is pleasant and the bathroom spacious; both have updated decor. David T. was very friendly and always extremely helpful -- a gem! The "quiet" room we asked for was *very* quiet -- only heard external noises once, other than the cleaning crew. Excellent business office setup.

All in all, very satisfactory stay. Steps away from just about every major subway line, or else a couple of blocks from excellent neighborhoods such as Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy, and Chelsea. So very easy to get anywhere in the City. David T. was knowledgeable and very helpful and friendly. Plenty of computers in the business office, which is in a lively part of the lobby -- very nice to check email and Google Maps. First 5-6 pages print for free. Highly recommend it -- would stay there again, for business or vacation.

Room Tip: If you need quiet, ask for a room on either end of the hall. The front desk let us choose from 2 ro...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Xpacker
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We arrived late on a Wednesday and were greeted nicely. The lower lobby was amusing with people chatting and surfing. We walked 5 blocks to Mott St where we had some "Wonton Noodle" dinner. The staff were very pleasant with us, and especially David (Concierge) on our last day helped us by locating a last minute cab to JFK. Allow at least 45 minutes to get there from the hotel.

The subway station is just in the corner, as well as a post office and even a notary a couple of blocks out. Next door there is a mini deli that is open 24 hr so you are never short of any snacks or even meals. They have a salad and lunch/dinner bar by weight, so it's very pleasant to have choices.

I did not give the hotel 5 stars because internet is not available in the rooms, as is in most hotels nowadays, unless for an extra charge. You already have restricted parking, and the internet is also restricted to the first floor lobby only. Other than that I'd recommend this location to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank latinlau
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We chose this hotel for a 5 night stay in New York because of the good price we found on a booking site and because it was a Sheraton. The hotel location was good in the area of Tribeca. Very close to several subway stations so travelling around New York was easy. The area around the hotel was nice also with shops etc. The hotel is quite small, atleast compared to what we are used to in Europe. Reception area is small and felt crowded even if it was only 10 people there sometimes. Rooms were okey and clean, not so big but what can you expect in New York. Gym was also okey but quite small. Nice with free wifi in the lobby area. The staff was okey but could be better. The concierge team and the reception staff could be a bit more professional and could smile a bit more. They were not rude to us but they were not so nice either, they could be nicer and be smiling more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank swedishtravellers
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Good hotel for both business and pleasure. The rooms are ok sized with a huge comfortable bed and a new fresh bathroom. Excellent location, right by Soho. A good selection of great restaurants close to the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Manager Lowell Beebe-Center is not just available, he's accessible. And apparently he's instilled the entire staff with a friendliness and service mentality that is downright gracious without being cloying. The sparkle of the fairly new hotel is maintained to a high level of cleanliness. Opt for a room with club level privileges - the lounge is one of the best we've seen.
As for prices, very mid-line for Manhattan.
And of course, location, location, location. Walk to literally hundreds of restaurants; easy trek to SoHo.
We've tried bunches of Manhattan hotels - it is going to be hard to get us to try another one.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a free suite upgrade - if they have one open they'll often do it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business