“Listen to the guy who said your status doesn't matter here...”

Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel
Ranked #320 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My husband has platinum SPG status and we're paying with our American Express platinum card, both and each of which entitle us to a room upgrade. Upon checking in late last night we asked for the upgrade and were told no suites were available. One thing about me, gee call me crazy, I HATE BEING LIED TO.

We travel A LOT, so please don't try to game me. That is why we have platinum status here and and Hyatt and Hilton and Marriott. We expect the loyalty programs to matter to the properties at which we stay.

After being told that no rooms were available by the front desk clerk Dawn (who also looked at the screen and asked the other woman at the desk Erica) if she could 'do that' to which Erica replied 'no'.

I came upstairs to my thimble sized room and looked online. Guess what? The online system showed a reservation available for a suite from 6/1/12-6/3/12. Amazing, huh?

So instead of calling the concierge line, which is what I probably should have done, I called the front desk. Another song and dance about how one suite was available Friday night, and then a different one for Saturday night. I said to Dawn, 'no problem, we'd be happy to move from one to another so as not to be in such a small room' to which she replied 'no once you're in there they won't make you move - I'll just leave a note for the morning clerk who blocks off the rooms' - i.e. I don't want to be bothered with you so I'm going to push you off on someone else.

We came here because we thought it would be a nice change from mid-town, because guess what else? Apparently the Westin in midtown doesn't want to bother having a club lounge for their platinum members any longer and isn't even open on weekdays for more than a few hours and not at all on weekends.

So I think we'll be going back to Hyatts where our status is actually recognized and appreciated. Like many other former loyal travelers, Sheraton Tribeca, we will be staying elsewhere.

Thanks for your fabulous courtesy and service. You really know how to treat your loyal guests.

Room Tip: Don't bother if you're an SPG member - get more for your loyalty elsewhere.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NLB68
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel

Reviewed 1 June 2012

Great location, friendly and helpful staff, rooms very clean and well equipped, the most comfortable hotel bed ever.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2012

As others have said, this hotel isn't in a great location. However, it's very close to the subway and other nearby LES and Soho destinations. We stayed knowing this and had a great time. The rooms are new, clean and what NYC room sizes tend to be! The layout maximized the space and the bathroom was very well done. We would stay again for a good rate vs other more expensive hotels in the area. It really depends on what your priorities are - service and amenities are solid Sheraton - location not so great.

Room Tip: High floor is quieter; windows do open which is also nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is a nice NY City hotel in a great location. The rooms are not big (its New York), but they are clean, reasonably priced and the staff is very friendly - plus the location puts you just a few blocks from every major NY subway line. Its about a 5 minute subway ride to the Financial District, 9/11 Memorial and the boat to The Statue of Liberty. Maybe 15 minute ride to Times Square. Add on that SoHo is just a great place to "hang out" and walk around. Tons of stores and coffee shops to hang out at. If you really want to see the true NY, but not be in tourist-central, this is the place and hotel.

Room Tip: As a true New York hotel, there really isn't any room with a good view. Maybe a "south&quo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Not much to look at from outside the front door, but excellent on the inside. Lobby and rooms are smartly furnished and look trendy and clean. The lobby has a computer station with about 4 computers you can use. NY Times and WSJ available in the lobby daily. The lobby bar also looks pretty good. Staff at the front desk were helpful and efficient.

Skip the expensive and rather blah hotel restaurant and walk 2-3 blocks to Soho for better food. Breakfast was not complimentary so I got some fresh fruit and bagels from the Tribeca Bagel store next door (better sit-down brunch to be had in nearby Soho or the Village).

Rooms are snug as is typical for NYC, but with nice decor and nice showers. The fan in the bathroom is noisy so we kept it on at a minimum only for showers. Adjustable heating/AC worked well. There is some street noise as you would expect in NYC from cars, but this dies down during the night. There is free Starbucks-branded coffee which you can make with the machine in your room, along with a small selection of Tazo tea. There's also one free bottle of filtered Nestle water (watch out - the small one is free and replaced daily by the maid, but the slightly larger one on the opposite side of the desk is $5).

Location is very close to Soho and you will be very satisfied with it. However, the block surrounding the hotel is Canal Street which is less nice, so you have to walk a block to get anywhere good. But this only takes a minute. There is a LOT of traffic congestion right around the area so don't be surprised if taxi drivers are reluctant to take you directly there (this will get them stuck in traffic for an hour right around the hotel) -- get around this by telling them you're willing to walk a couple blocks and that they don't have to get into the traffic.

Nice hotel overall. I would come again. We bid on Priceline so didn't know what hotel we'd be getting until afterward, but were happy with the result.

Room Tip: The back has a little less street noise than the front.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I must say the front line staff at this hotel is probably one of the best I have encountered at any of the Starwood properties I have stayed at in New York. The front desk staff is always friendly and helpful as well as the bar staff who always make a good drink and conversation. With that being said the management personnel of this hotel have managed to diminish all this from my loyalty to their hotel. I have stayed at this hotel at least 50 times since they opened a little over a year ago. I stayed one night after they opened and switched hotels from the Sheraton Towers in midtown making it my hotel of choice because of the location and also the staff made me feel at home. Two weeks ago I had an emergency with my daughter and had to cancel my reservation on short notice. The price I booked was higher than normal at a rate of around $850.00. I have become used to this staying in Manhattan for almost 20 years and understand supply and demand and that it was also a very busy time in the city. I called the hotel as soon as I received notice that my daughter was in the hospital to cancel my reservation at 2 AM. To my disbelief I was informed that I would be charged a 1 night cancelation fee of $850. I asked the manager I was speaking to if he could see my history of stays and my Platinum status and he informed me he could. I asked him if this meant anything in helping waive the fee and the response I received was "We do appreciate your loyalty but unfortunately you are outside of the cancelation time." I have never on one occasion canceled a reservation with this hotel and even this did not hold any merit with them. I was in a hospital waiting room with my daughter extremly ill and I myself was exhausted and I asked if there was someone else I could speak to and I was told to call back in the morning and speak to someone in the sales department, but with this I was told I could try but would get the same answer. The manager I spoke to had absolutlely no sympathy for the situation. I understand this is a business and there is money to be made but treating your loyal customers like this is not acceptable. After calling the next morning and speaking to an extremely rude gentleman in the sales department I was told once again I would be charged (I guess the blunt manager I spoke to the previous evening was right!) I hope the one night of money they made off my canceled reservation is better than the 50 more nights I would have stayed in the coming year. If you are a Platinum Starwood member I would recommend not staying here. Even though I am not a fan of the hustle and bustle of midtown I would choose a Starwood hotel in that area if you would like to be treated like you have loyalty to a brand or more so to a specific location. You are not recognized when you need it here. Luckily my daughter is out of the hospital and we will be staying in New York on a family vacation next month and I can assure you we will not be staying at this hotel.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank J T
Reviewed 25 May 2012

The hotel was very good. Nice rooms with super beds+pillows. Starbucks coffee in the room. Also a Starbucks in the lobby. David&Mikey were ever so helpful. It only rained one day and they would give you an umbrella. Really good Italian just around the corner. Subway nearby. Get a metrocard you can add money to. Very easy to use. Nice bar with normal prices. The gin&Tonic was good.
Complimentary p.c.'s with Internet free for a hour in the lobby. WiFi you have to pay. But since we had 2 smartphones&tablet that was not so bad.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends