“Great downtown location”

Ranked #321 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Great downtown location”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

While we only stayed at the Sheraton Tribeca for a night, we really enjoyed our stay. The taxi/cab drive from the airport seemed to take longer than a trip to midtown/east due to the nature of downtown. Check-in was both quick and friendly. The elevators were located is an awkward tiny corner of the ground floor, and it was impossible for two guests with suitcases to pass each other. The hotel was in a great location for the downtown attractions. While the hotel does seem to be located in an unfriendly neighbourhood, it’s only a short 3 block walk to Broadway with lots of shopping nightlife. The queen bed size room was a little smaller than usual, and equipped with two phones (one was cordless which is pointless given the size of the room). More importantly, the room was clean and modern. I would recommend this hotel to friends. Catch a taxi/cab to the airport, and do not accept a black hire car (offer by staff) to the airport as they avoid the tolls, fall asleep at the wheel, and take the long way.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nicholas A, Manager at Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the feedback you have provided.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I never knew how much being a Platinum Starwood member makes a difference, until I travelled for the first time without one. I have stayed at dozens of starwood properties around the world, and it has always been great customer service, free couples massages, early check in, late check outs, etc. Gave no thought to how I would be treated as someone who "booked through a third-party travel website" --in this case Travelocity. Oh to experience how this hotel treats the regular folk was horrifying to say the least. So my friend and I get in around 1, so we think no problem let's drop off our bags, precheck in early, gave the front desk clerk my phone number to call me if the room is available earlier, and we go to lunch and come back at regular check in time--3pm. We come back at 10 minutes until 3, and now the lobby is packed. Check in time, right, did not think about that ever because like I said before always travelled with a platinum member on points so never had to wait until 3. It takes us 10 minutes to get to the front, she asks for my name and credit card again--i explain to her we already gave her my credit card etc. She checks on the room and says it is ready, but they are just checking to make sure it is inspected--no more than 10 minutes. 10 minutes go by, oh there's a bulb that needs to be replaced, 10 more minutes. 30 minutes go by, I am at this point agitated and very tired and the manager checks on the room and voila it's ready. So at this point it's 3:35, I am exhausted just want to lay down and check my phone which was in the front pocket of my backpack that i checked. I open up the pocket, and hooray the phone is cracked. When i last used it on the train, it was fine. Now it is cracked. I try to call down to the front desk, but the phone is broken in the room. So then I call them from my cell phone, and explain the situation and they tell me they will send an engineer to fix my phone and security to take down a report about my phone. Engineer shows up, fixes phone, security does not show. It's 6pm at this point and I am flabbergasted that they haven't sent anyone up. So i call down again, the front desk is not apologetic and just tells me flat out they've been busy. As if because I am on vacation and I have all the time in the world to sit in the hotel room waiting for them! I tell them I have dinner plans and they need to send someone up ASAP. So the security guy shows up, Luis, he is actually very nice and takes down the report. Says he will investigate and get back to me. I do not hear a single thing. The next day as I am leaving for dinner and after I paid $65 to have my screen fixed, i stop by the front desk. They manager Aldo is very confrontational, almost accusatory, as if I am trying to scam the hotel out of paying for my phone repair. Do they think that someone who is paying over $200 a night, and is on vacation, in some crazy scheme to have my phone fixed would come up with this story? He was unapologetic, completely rude, and said that they offered me free club level access and that's all they could do. Free breakfast and sodas a $75 value. 1. they never communicated to me that i had this club level access offered to me to appease my terrible experience at this hotel. he claimed they did not have my number or email--to which i pointed out i gave my cell phone number at check in, and they emailed me the confirmation so that is a flat out lie, 2. i tried to go to the club level access the next morning as I was leaving, and my key didn't work!! So he either lied to me, or the club level access was for a day that I didn't even know about because they never communicated it to me. ABSOLUTELY insane experience. Will never stay here again. My friend who has a block of rooms reserved for her wedding is now reconsidering. I have never been treated so poorly and rudely by a manager ever. Maybe it's because i wasn't with my Starwood Platinum companion, but I am a starwood member and now I will think twice about getting status with Starwood as opposed to Hilton or Marriott. Their loss as I travel frequently for work and vacation!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hannah Y
Thank you Hannah for contacting us so that we can discuss the problems you had while being our guest. We are very excited that after our discussion you will allow us the opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel. It will be a pleasure to see you return with the mission to exceed your expectations.

Warm regards,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here 5 nights and I think my title summed up my experience.

The hotel itself is situated in a good location where everything isn't too far. Though the good things end here.

Its got very small rooms. Yes, small even for NYC.

We chose to stay at a Sheraton because of my positive sleeping quality in past stays at other Sheraton properties. No not here, the windows do nothing in blocking traffic noise in the middle of the night. If you are a light sleeper you should stay elsewhere.

As a SPG Gold Member, we were given no perks and was not given an enhanced room, even when the hotel was obviously not at full capacity, which was extremely disappointing.

We also had an Wifi connection problem, the operators on the phone could not help and suggests that "YOU can call the toll-free number for technical support" and not proactively help us with the problem. We spent literally hours talking to the person on the toll-free number. It ended up to be because of an administrative error at the hotel's end, this was only because we met one very helpful staff at the reception who was willing to spend time looking through our record.

It's a shame, this property can do so much better. I will choose elsewhere the next time I am in NYC.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay however are deeply concerned that you were not upgraded and had troubles with the internet. We strive to upgrade all of our SPG guests especially our Gold & Platinum Members. In addition we are on the brink of upgrading our internet system which will make a huge impact on our guest internet connectivity. We hope when you return to the city you allow us the opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel. Please reach out to me directly so that I may handle your accommodations personally.

Best regards,

Swedesboro, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I recently inadvertently booked an online reservation at this hotel on the spg.com website. I instantly cancelled the reservation or thought I cancelled it. I did not have any idea the reservation was still active until I received an email asking if I was planning to arrive. The problem was, I did not receive the email till the next day. I contacted platinum concierge services and they were unable to get me a refund. As a long time platinum member, I am disappointed and surprised that this hotel would rather not waive the fee for one of its best customers, never have the decency to send a reply email, and risk losing multiple visits from myself and others. It speaks to what type of hotel it stands for and if they treat their best customers this way, how do they treat others? There are far more friendlier and accommodating hotels in the area. I fully recommend the element hotel in Times Square.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are truely sorry that we were unable to refund your for your reservation. We strive to exceed our guest expectations so I encourage to reach out to me so that I may look into this matter personally with the hopes to regain your confidence in our hotel.

Newport, Rhode Island USA
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our most recent visit to New York City found us searching for a hotel in the Soho/Tribeca area. We have never stayed in this particular part of NYC in our many dozens of Manhattan hotel stays. We purchased our hotel reservations via Hotwire as we wished to stay at no less than a 4 star hotel. The Sheraton Tribeca did not disappoint us in the least. The normal small Manhattan room is present but very well appointed, comfortable with excellent linens, very sleep worthy bedding, and a staff that takes very good care of you with a smile. The location is OUTSTANDING and within a blocks walk to the Subway, several blocks one way is China Town, and walk to the left of this and you are on Mulberry Street, the central hub of Little Italy restaurants. If you arrive on Friday evening you will find ample FREE Street Parking. So save a lot of money and go spend it on some fantastic food.

Room Tip: The hotels does charge $10.00 a night for in room WiFi which for us is very important. If you are st...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph S
Thank you for writing a review of your experience. We are happy that you chose our hotel as your place for accomodations when visiting the city and look forward to your continued patronage.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2014

It may not be the smallest hotel in Manhattan but it's definitely on the small side for a Sheraton. But in a city where the square foot comes at a premium one might want to forget about the size of the footprint and the lack of a view and concentrate on the cleanliness and the location: You are downtown with Soho, Chinatown and TriBeCa as your neighbors, lots to do and away from the touristy hustle and bustle of Midtown. Just stop by the front desk and ask of Aldo. You'll be amazed by all the possibilities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad that we had exceeded your expectations and look forward to your return in the near future.

Warm regards,

Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Only used this hotel because our tour started from here. Many cheaper hotels have free WiFi and free breakfast. This hotel has free WiFi in lobby. There are some basic breakfast places nearby. Staff are friendly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Wilberto O, Assistant Front Office Manager at Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am sorry that we failed to meet some of your hotel expectations. I am happy to heat your enjoyed our staff. Please contact me directly at wilberto@sheratontribeca.com upon your future visit as I would like to personally accommodate and assure that your future stay is one of the best ever.

Wilberto Olivera