“Best of the Best”

The James New York-SoHo
Ranked #174 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My wife and I spent 6 nights at The James hotel when we were in NY a couple of weeks ago...it is simply the best! Its position in Soho is A1, the staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful, restaurants are great and drinks at Jimmy's on the roof was out of this world. It was my wife's first visit to NY and she will be coming back (probably to shop without me) and neither of us would hesitate to stay at this wonderful hotel again and again.

Room Tip: Corner suits are great
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
The_James_NY_Hotel, General Manager at The James New York-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Dear Craig C,

Thank you for such a kind review. It’s when we receive feedback as positive as yours that our team’s hard work is realized. I am very happy to read that you were able to enjoy many of the features that make our hotel special, including our location in vibrant SoHo, David Burke Kitchen, JIMMY rooftop bar, and most importantly, our team members. They are our greatest asset and I am proud they helped make your wife’s first time to New York unforgettable. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to SoHo for leisure, business, or a shopping spree.

Warmest regards,

There are newer reviews for The James New York-SoHo

Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed at The James for a night having got off the Cunard cruise. Our room was ready at 12.00 and we had a lovely view. The Champage and macaroons were a nice surprise as we were celebrating a special bday. Staff at reception were really helpful. We had breakfast and staff were not as attentive . we would stay there again as the location is great and we loved our room.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Kami4,

Thank you for staying with us – I truly appreciate your feedback and recommendation. It is wonderful to read that you felt welcomed and were able to enjoy the views of lower Manhattan. I would have to agree with you on the views; they’re impeccable. In addition, it is great that our team left you with a positive impression. Thank you, again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

This hotel and restaurants are great the staff is nice. Outside areas are a good plus and the location is perfect if you enjoy lower manhattan. We ate at the restaurant nice service good wine selection.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear nicole A,

Thank you for taking time to provide a review of your stay. I am very happy to read that you were able to appreciate some of the features that make our hotel truly special, including David Burke Kitchen, our location in the renowned Soho district, and our hard working team. We strive to provide all guests with a luxury liberated experience that exceeds expectations so am elated to read that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you again – we look forward to welcoming you back.

Warmly,

Reviewed 7 September 2012

The best hotel that I have stayed in in NY but it does come at a price. The staff are friendly and efficient; my room was clean and fresh.

As the public have access to the roof bar the elevators do get crowded in the evenings, especially as one of the elevators was out of service during my stay.
The surrounding location feels safe and is lively.

My excellent breakfast was delivered to the room every morning but I was unsure about the tipping protocol. Service is shown as a separate item to the breakfast cost but I gave the lady who delivered the tray a couple of dollars in any case. However I had the feeling from looking at her face that she expected more but, with the service already added, I thought I might end up tipping twice. It was a slightly uncomfortable moment as of course I wanted to do the right thing.

All in all, finances permitting, I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear ThaneOfGlamis,

I wanted to personally reach out and thank you for providing feedback on your most recent stay. It is wonderful to read that you were able to enjoy many great features of our property, in-room dining by David Burke Kitchen, our location in Soho, the warmly modern guest rooms, and most importantly, our attentive team. I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced in regards to the elevators – thank you for being patient and understanding. Until your next stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed 31 August 2012

I took my wife and myself here on our 2nd anniversary in mid july and enjoyed the stay. My only gripe was the location was hard to get to with the traffic that day. We stayed in a deluxe king room on the 17th floor. I enjoyed the view of the city and we were able to look out over soho from our room. The bed was very comfortable and we had a nice nights sleep. The staff was very helpful and helped get us a ride downtown to catch a show. All in all we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Dear Cgonzales217,

I am very delighted to read that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. We strive to exceed expectations of every guest but especially those celebrating occasions as special as an anniversary. Congratulations! I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced with transportation but downtown Manhattan and Soho is very vibrant so can be challenging to travel through at peak times. Thank you for your patience and feedback. With that, I am very proud to read that our team was attentive in resolving your issue. Thank you again; until your next stay.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 31 August 2012

We loved everything about the James. Far and away the best aspect of it was the people who work there, particularly Felix (one of the front doormen) and Michael (a manager). Both of these gentlemen, as well as many others, went out of their way to take good care of us and to make sure we had everything we needed to make life as easy and pleasant as possible.

The rooms are gorgeous. We started out in a deluxe room, which was so nice that we thought about not transferring at all. But when a corner room came available the next night, we moved over for the duration of our stay. Even though it was on the same floor (15th), the view was several orders of magnitude better! We had a view of the Woolworth Building/new World Trade Center and of the Hudson River, and it was so amazing that we never closed the blinds once. Wonderful to fall asleep to that and wake up to it again.

I wasn't a big fan of the rooftop bar, as it's a little too hip and loud for the likes of me. But it was clearly popular and attracted a very beautiful crowd. The outside cabanas and afternoon cocktails were more my scene - great sangria.

Very close to everything. Be sure to walk to the Blue Ribbon Cafe, which is open until the wee hours of the a.m., and have the special cocktails and the fried chicken.

Room Tip: Go for the Corner Deluxe on a high floor!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear styron,

Thank you for staying with us – I can’t thank you enough for such a glowing review. I couldn’t be happier that we were able to exceed your expectations. We pride ourselves on our high level of customer service and on the uniqueness of our property. Michael and Felix will appreciate the special mention. You pointed to some wonderful features, like our location here in Soho, our warmly modern rooms with unobstructed views of lower Manhattan, and David Burke's Urban Garden. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in the New York area. Feel free to reach out to me directly so I can oversee your reservation – thank you.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Upside: Attentive staff, modern and trendy environment, great neighborhood, nicely decorated rooms with luxury bath products, very good restaurant for lunch/dinner.

Downside: Rooms were small, even by NYC standards. The gym is small, dirty, and not kept up well. The restaurant seemed very different for breakfast, including lower quality food and less attentive wait staff.

Overall: Very nice hotel. We'll be back.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Dear MOIntTraveler,

I appreciate you taking time to share with us the details of your recent stay and sincerely apologize for the inconsistent service you experienced at the restaurant. It is not typical of the kind of experience we strive to provide our guests so thank you for your patience and understanding. However, I am very happy to read that our team left a positive impression on you and that you were able to appreciate our unique ambience and design. I would also have to agree with you on the eco-friendly luxury bath products; they are very popular among guests. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your return.