“Like it BUT I think I caught The James at a bad time...”

The James New York - SoHo
Ranked #181 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed at the James for three nights over Presidents' Day weekend. I LOVE the location. Close to a ton of fun bars and restaurants and SHOPPING. Also close to public transport. Do not try to get here on a Friday night though as the traffic to the tunnel will be such that you will have to get out of your taxi and WALK for blocks and blocks with your suitcase.

I also loved the design of the rooms. Everything was very comfortable and well thought-out. There was even an extension cord for my all devices!!!! And free wifi all the time, although at times it was slow to non-existent. (Note, there is a shade you can control from the bathroom that will separate the sleeping area from the bathroom.) Also LOVED the bath products tremendously.

But here are the things that happened while I was there, some controllable, some not:
Down to one guest elevator. Whoever designed the hotel elevator system was not an expert in expressing guests to their rooms. The two elevators were slow enough as it was. Imagine what happened when the service elevator went out and the staff had to use the guest elevators. I started timing the elevator on my floor and would often wait 7 minutes for the lift, although one would arrive repeatedly during this time with the guy with the cart with all the empty glass water bottles, jingling. This was a bit of a mess. (And he was not the world's most happiest person.)

The fight in the hotel room above me. So bad that at 2:30 am that I had to call the front desk. Not the hotel's fault at all. But the fight went on for ages and ages. (I really wish she had taken her high heels off.) I should have called sooner. If I've ever felt bystander apathy before, it was now. Did everyone really wait so long to call the front desk??

Overbooking via Expedia. One evening, every time I showed up in the lobby, someone was crying. The hotel had been overbooked by Expedia. (Not their fault, I am hoping.) But what was the hotel's fault was the quality and quantity of their communication with the affected guests. As I was enjoying the free wine and cheese, I watched a few different groups of guests just sit there for ages, just waiting and waiting for information about their rebooking. Very binary transactions. I don't know...I just feel like the hotel could have been more caring and provided these guests with more updates.

The craziest thing that happened was one afternoon, as I was waiting for the elevator (!!! see above), mindlessly thumbing my iPhone, a cleaning person approached me and told me their name and asked me to make sure I mentioned them on TripAdvisor. :(

Oh lastly...had lunch at David Burke the day I checked out and the service was pretty flaky. I was meeting a friend there and we both told them that and they sat us separately, which was pretty funny GIVEN THERE WAS ONLY ONE OTHER TABLE SEATED. Also one server, while kind, had a noticeable body odor problem.

So...a little dysfunctional, this stay at The James. But I'd still go back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Krista N
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear KristaInLondon,

It seems that your experience was atypically made up of a number odd moments. I’m glad to see they weren't so negative as to have you never consider returning. Only a sincere apology will be adequate for certain lapses in service. Our elevators were out due to maintenance and our team members rarely receive negative feedback but your sentiments will be reviewed. I also know the value of a restful night’s sleep so apologize for the noise disturbances. I must commend your resilience and generosity given all the hiccups you encountered. We would warmly welcome another opportunity to endear you to the hotel the next time you find yourself in New York.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

The hotel my company usually books was unavailable - lucky for me, since that landed me at The James! It had been awhile since my last trip to NYC so I asked for a higher-level floor and as such, was upgraded to a deluxe king. The view to the river was fantastic. The room itself was very clean, mod and functional and, most important to me, very quiet. As with most hotel rooms in the city, it was on the small side and would have been cramped with more than one person. My only other complaint is the time it took to locate all the light switches (and there are many). I was very tired the first night so it was a bit aggravating to have to hunt them down. But not enough to take away from the amazing service I received, whether from the front desk, the concierge, the doorman, or room service. When the server brought dinner to my room and I commented that I had come in too late to take advantage of the wine served in the lobby, he returned in a flash with a complimentary bottle! So thoughtful. The bathroom was surprisingly spacious and well-designed. There is a motorized curtain (with some very cool artwork imposed on it) that separates the glass wall between bed and bath, unlike some hotel rooms I've seen that don't give you that option.

In addition to room service, I had a late breakfast at David Burke Kitchen downstairs - excellent food and service.

While this was a quick business trip, I hope to return to The James again when I have the luxury of more time. Thank you for making this part of my journey so comfortable!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Wanderer922
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Dear Wanderer922,

Thank you for taking time to provide the details of your first stay. Our team’s hard work comes into fruition when we receive feedback as kind as yours. I am very proud of them for making you feel welcome. Little beats a bottle of great wine at the end of a day of traveling. I am happy you were able to enjoy David Burke Kitchen and hope to welcome you back to enjoy the array of amenities we offer. Until your next stay.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at the James at least six times in the past year and it's always great. Rooms are comfy, location ideal in soho and service is always top-notch. For gym lovers... It's a nice but small gym

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Lucianaramsey

Dear Lucianaramsey,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback, in addition to continually choosing to stay with us. It’s great to see that you enjoyed the warmly modern guestrooms, location in vibrant Soho, and fitness center with unobstructed views of New York City. Most importantly, however, I am proud that our team made a positive impression on you. We look forward to your next stay.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 13 March 2013

My husband and I had one night to spend in the city and, luckily, chose the James. From the moment we entered we knew we had chosen wisely and well. The reception desk was warm and welcoming. The bell staff was helpful and accommodating. The room service waitstaff could not have been more kind. All in all, a perfect hotel experience. We will be choosing The James for another visit!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Vickros

Dear Vickros,

We pride ourselves on how we take care of our guests, I’m glad to see that our team’s hard work has shown through. You mentioned how warm and welcoming we were. The Lobby Assistant and In-Room Dining teams will appreciate your special mention. I am happy we took part in making the most of your one night in the city. Whenever you make your way back to the New York City area, we would be happy to have you back here at The James.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

I liked The James a lot. The rooms are small, but that's to be expected in NYC. The hotel itself is very nice. They usually have a bit of food or wine out in the lobby. The rooftop bar is fun, and the restaurant was good. The location is excellent. I would stay here again. The only reason I don't give it top ratings is that the housekeeping was a bit irregular, and there were a few other small issues. Nothing serious, though.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear erock1974,

Thank you for taking time to share about your stay. I apologize for any hiccups you experienced but am happy to see you left with a generally positive experience and would consider returning the next time you find yourself in Soho. It’s wonderful that you were able to enjoy The James Club Sky Lobby daily amenities, JIMMY rooftop bar, and David Burke Kitchen. They are three features that help make The James truly special. Thank you again. Until your next stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Beautiful design
But very disappointed in the functuallity in the room. The drapes should be on a motor. The hand held shower is weird, no dresser for clothes, no body lotion, no room for clothes in the closet, no room for luggage, nice booze bar. No room for toiletries in the bathroom.
Nice view though.
For some reason we were not allowed in the dining room."..........
Chris and Eric are extremely nice!

Room Tip: Sorry can't help you
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurie M

Dear Laurie M,

Thank you for providing feedback. I apologize that you did not find our guestrooms the right fit and we missed the mark in exceeding your expectations. It is very odd that you were not allowed in the restaurant but that may have been due to the change over period restaurants experience between meals. I am proud that Eric and Chris made a positive impression on you. We welcome another opportunity to endear you to the hotel the next time you find yourself in Soho. Thanks again.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

The James is my new favorite hotel in my home city. The staff is incomparable--they took care of every need, even fixing a mistake I had made with the reservation. The hotel is immaculate and luxurious--but having stayed at many beautiful hotels, I can say that the service at The James is at the top. Everyone is kind and thoughtful. We plan on staying here for our "nights away" every opportunity we can.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear wkbNewYork,

We would be delighted to continue being your preferred hotel for “nights away.” Our warmly modern aesthetic, residentially-inspired guestrooms, and central location in Soho make for a wonderful escape and authentically New York experience. More importantly, I am proud of our team for making you feel welcome and cared for. The James strives to provide genuine yet unobtrusive services and your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to share about your time with us. Until your next stay.

Warmest regards,