“Friendliest business hotel in NYC”
Review of The James New York

The James New York
Ranked #149 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York
“Friendliest business hotel in NYC”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have stayed at the James twice in the past four months and had an outstanding experience both times. The staff is very warm and welcoming. The rooms, especially the corner rooms, are nicer than what you'd expect in NYC. Location halfway between midtown and Wall Street and walking distance to SOHO and the Village are a plus. Nice rooftop bar with good energy and vibe. Olivier the bartender makes a killer custom bourbon and citrus drink that was a blowaway. Restaurant is unique and differentiated from the normal hotel fare.

Thank Mr. Paul H
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Mr Paul H,

Thanks for taking time to share your James experience. Your loyalty and recommendation means a lot to us. Olivier is a great asset to our team so thank you for acknowledging his hard work. I’m also happy you enjoyed the atmosphere at our rooftop bar. We hope you return very soon. Thanks again!

Best,

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The location of the hotel is very good. The lobby is bare and soulless. The staff were very friendly but it felt understaffed.
The rooms were tiny and while they were new, they felt that they were down cheaply.The shower door hit the shower head when opening, the full length mirror on the inside of the wardrobe door didn't open fully, the docking station didn't work to play music. Very few plug sockets available.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank Mr. Andrew M
Dear Mr. Andrew M,

So glad you chose The James for your visit to Soho. It sounds like you were able to enjoy some of our key features including our location. It’s disappointing to hear that you didn’t have a flawless experience. We strive to improve each day so thank you for the candid feedback. We hope you return the next time you find yourself in New York.

Cheers,
North Wales, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed here on a business trip as it was close to my meeting and I thought the location would be convenient for shopping and dining in nearby Soho.

Check in was fine, they were very nice and efficient when I arrived.

My room was tiny and pretty basic. When I got into the room at 5pm, the digital alarm clock read 100am and the date was January 2009!

Bathroom was appropriate size to the room size, but the towels in the room were worn and had threads hanging from them.

My bathroom sink was clogged and when I left for my dinner meeting, housekeeping came into the room, but did not replace or clean up any of the towels that were laying on the chair, they just closed the curtains and put some chocolates by my bed.

Dear Mr. Dennis C,

Every piece of guest feedback is valuable to us, therefore, thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. It is unfortunate that you encountered the series of issues you described. We will continue to improve on. Please let us know next time you're in New York if you'd like to come visit us again, and we’ll accommodate you with a room that better suits your needs. Feel free to reach out to me directly so I can personally oversee your stay at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com.

Best,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Just arrived from London exhausted after flight and put in Room 17-09. Fell into bed exhausted but there is a continuing dreadful racket as the central heating starts up ever few minus and makes a huge noise and whine and there is no switch that works to switch it off. I feel cheated that I have come to this hotel and paid in advance only to be put in a room which they know is substandard because when I complained just now they seem quite aware of it, and they had other rooms not having this fiasco associated with them, but allocated me and my poor wife to this deadfall situation where we have arrived exhausted after a 12 hour journey from Europe only to be subjected to standards so low as to be wholly unacceptable.
There is also a huge racket from the restaurant clearing up.
They have done this deliberately. A big fuss was made of seeming to welcome us, but the reality is that by allocating me and my wife to this room on the 17th floor, they were really shafting us.
They've got our money in advance - so stuff us with the worst. Dreadful. Despicable. Don't come here.

Room Tip: Refuse any allocation on the 17th floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BD12342014
Dear BD12342014,

Every piece of guest feedback is valuable to us, therefore, thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. It is unfortunate that you encountered the series of issues you described. We will inform our team in order to continue to improve. I'm disappointed to hear that our staff wasn’t ; this is definitely not typical of the service we offer at our hotel. If you are ever in New York again, please feel free to reach out to me directly so I can personally oversee your stay at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com

Regards,
Deep River, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Had a great stay at The James for business travel. Would love to return for business or leisure travel though. The staff was very helpful, I was in quite a rush when checking in due to a meeting I was running to and they were fast, efficient, kind and the doorman hailed me a taxi quickly. The room itself was gorgeous, large windows overlooking the city, the bathroom was very cool, all glass with a privacy shade, the shower had nice hot water and good pressure. Loved the bathroom amenities and full sized products. Bed was large and comfy, gym is big with great view, the mini bar in room was very well stocked and prices were reasonable. There were robes and slippers. I did not get to use any of the in room dining services, bars or lounges but menus looked nice. The lobby had nice complimentary breakfast items and cookies in afternoon with wine. Phone or ipad chargers for guests use would be nice (front desk did not have one). Walked around area in evening with a friend and it was young and funky. We ducked into a great place to grab a cocktail. Overall a fantastic stay!! I felt a bit like I was staying in Europe while in NYC.

Room Tip: The Corner suites are beautiful, spacious and have fantastic views.
Dear Sunnysideuppls,

We really appreciate you taking time to share feedback about your stay. I’m glad you had a great time. You pointed to some of our most unique features, including the loft-inspired guestrooms, and daily complimentary amenities in the rooms. Our team members strive to go above and beyond so we appreciate you acknowledging all their hard work. Thanks for choosing The James for your visit to Soho. We look forward to your next visit.

Cheers,
Minneapolis
Reviewed 27 March 2014

OFF SEASON STAY: I stayed while the outdoor spaces were still closed (March) so many of the negative issues others have cited in association with those and the upstairs rooftop in their reviews were absent during my stay.
LOCATION: The location and architecture of the hotel make staying here a real treat. Easy walk to SOHO, Tribeca and subway stations to everywhere else. Access to main lobby is by one single small elevator which got busy during morning departures but otherwise was fine.
ROOM: Room was small but modern, highly functional with very nice amenities (see pictures). Bedding and linens were very comfortable. Intelligent Nutrients bathroom amenities and snacks and minibar in room were top shelf. Housekeeping/room cleanliness was excellent but was disappointed to have housekeeping doing their evening turndown rounds after 9pm. Only room complaint was no sockets by bedside (extension cord provided did not function) and there wasn't great light for working near the area with a table.
FOOD: David Burke Kitchen's food at dinner was whimsical and delicious and although the restaurant was busy service was smooth and professional. Would have liked to see a dedicated "bar" / "lounge area" with more chair/table seating by the bar instead of tables set for dining as there is really no other place in the hotel to sit for a business meeting (lobby upstairs is unsuitable due to sloping chairs and loud guests!).
STAFF: Some of the friendliest staff I've encountered in many stays in NYC. Check in and out were prompt and friendly, bartenders in the restaurant were also helpful and knowledgeable not only about the restaurant but about the hotel and surrounding area.

Dear Sailorgirlmn,

Thanks for taking time to write a review. The James’ prime location is one of my favorite features of the hotel so I’m glad you enjoyed it. Guests avoid the hustle and bustle of Midtown while getting a genuine New York experience in vibrant Soho. Our team is our greatest asset so I’ll be sure to relay your special mention to them. Hopefully you can return when the Urban Garden and rooftop plunge pool are open to enjoy the warmer weather.

Regards,
London
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was in NYC for a week and for the first 4 nights I stayed in a big-chain "5 star" hotel and that was utterly disappointing. So naturally, I was quite excited to try out an independent boutique hotel with rave reviews. And it definitely lived up to my already high expectations.

The excellence started from entering the door. Check-in was swift and personal; details like addressing me by my name, instead of "sir", etc. Room was ready when I checked-in. Whole process was 3 mins flat.

Room was clean and doesn't look worn in. Bed was very comfortable. Expansive windows with good views.

Location is really good. Close to Soho shopping area and generally walking distance to Tribeca and most subway lines. Also it's a 5 mins walk to Dominique Ansel Bakery of the cronuts fame. Definitely worth the wait. Sky gym affords nice views of lower manhattan, i.e. Freedom Tower and waters. Housekeeping was in no way invasive and rather anticipatory; cleaned without rearranging too many personal items and they seem to know when to turn down your room.

Upon check out as I was really rushing for a train at Penn station as a result of lining up for the cronuts, and I haven't packed my luggage, I asked them to prepare all the check out procedures, get a cab at 9.30am sharp, and provide me small bills for a 100. All was done and ready waiting for me. I was out of the hotel in 2 mins after i left my room. Now that's what I call service!

The highlight of the stay were its emphasis on design and art and the service. It doesn't hurt that most of its staff are good looking too. I would definitely highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit new york and break away from the big chains.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Jian91,

Thanks for the rave review. It seems like you got a full authentic James experience. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and genuine approach to guest service. But more importantly, thank you for acknowledging our Front desk. Hopefully you can return when the Urban Garden and rooftop plunge pool are open to enjoy the warmer weather. Until your next visit.