“Gets Better Every Time!”
Review of The James New York

The James New York
Ranked #156 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Palm Beach, Florida
“Gets Better Every Time!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I've been to the James on several occasions. The first stretch was through work, and later, I stayed there with my wife. Their customer service is top notch. For example, upon pulling up to the curb, the staff immediately helped with the bags, and while unloading the car, gave all sorts of useful recommendations on what was happening in the area - restaurants to try, places to visit if I had time, etc. Upon check-in they welcomed me back to the hotel. (Nice to see they keep records and then acknowledge their return guests!) I left a nice tip with housekeeping who did a flawless job in the room, and they responded with a handwritten note of thanks.

The rooms are clean and modern and the dining is outstanding. You can''t go wrong with David Burke Kitchen - I know because I've tried virtually everything on the menu!

I highly recommend The James for business and for couples!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Ace44444,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking time to share about your visit to The James. Your attention to and appreciation for details are refreshing. Your feedback is very insightful. I’m glad you found the team friendly and welcoming upon your arrival. I will pass along to them your positive feedback. We strive to provide genuine unobtrusive guest service. Thank you again. We hope you return soon.

Warmly,
Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
melbourne
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Liked my stay in this hotel. Rooms were very modern and functional. Room size was OK for me solo, but may prove a little tight for a couple. Elevators are terribly slow and ground level lobby/foyer had a continual sewer smell which I assume was due to plumbing problems but was a horrible first impression every time I re-entered the building. Really needs to be attended to ASAP.

Room Tip: Corners are always good with lots of glazing, also higher levels probably give some great views ( ro...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Graphite,

It’s disappointing to hear that you didn’t have a flawless experience. We strive to improve each day so thank you for the candid feedback. We recently had some improvements done to our vent system and will continue to better our service. I’m happy you enjoyed your overall stay and that you found your room comfortable; we hope you return soon.

Best regards,
Coatesville, Pa.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I decided to take a quick getaway to NYC and had heard great things about The James. We were not disappointed. Kenny took great care of us at check-in. The front desk found us a room even though we arrived early. Throughout our stay the staff went out of their way to pamper us. As a frequent business traveller, this level of service is rarely found in the big chain hotels. Our room was a nice size with a great view of lower Manhattan. It is nice that the windows open slightly, Sometimes I actually like to hear some of the big city sounds of NYC. Otherwise the rooms are super quiet, great AC and comfortable beds. I asked for extra pillows and promptly received 4 nice fluffy ones. A nicely stocked pantry and roomy bathroom with excellent rain forest shower. I enjoyed having the pump bottles of soap, shampoo, and conditioner in the shower. Very fast, free internet. Being a small hotel, it is a short walk from the elevator to any room. An amazing rooftop bar and outdoor deck with a small pool (not big enough for swimming, but good for a cool dip). Be sure to enjoy at least one meal at the David Burke kitchen on the lower level. This property has many unique outdoor areas on different levels. Be sure to explore. My wife and I continued to find these areas throughout our stay. A truly special property in SoHo with great access to many local shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Dean S,

Thanks for the rave review. It seems like you got the full James experience. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and authentic decor. But more importantly, thank you for acknowledging Kenny. He’s a huge asset to our team. I’m glad we've left you with a positive impression. We look forward to your next stay.

Global
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We booked the larger corner room here, which I would say is essential. Even this larger room is only 400 sq ft in size. In any other city, this would be tiny. In New York it's just about ok.

The service was great and friendly. Staff were always helpful. The rsstaurant on the first floor has a great garden dining area which is really nice to have in the middle of town. The hotel is in the heart of soho. 5 min walk to all major shops, including Bloomingdales.

The pool and bar upstairs is really for hanging out rather than swimming. The pool is tiny. I've seen bigger jacuzzis. But, again, this is manhattan. You can't expect an Olympic five lane pool! Nice views with cocktails and a trendy 20&30s type professional crowd at weekends.

Overall we had a good stay. It offers what you would expect on the basis of the hotel website. At around 600 per night it's not cheap...but Soho never is.

Stayed July 2014
Dear TheGlobalFinn,

So glad you chose The James for your visit to Soho. It sounds like you were able to enjoy all our features and get a well-rounded experience. All in all, I’m happy you enjoyed your visit to Soho. We hope you return soon. Your feedback will help us improve. Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts.

All the best,
Fenton, Michigan
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel was so clean and up to date on their décor. All the staff were very friendly and helpful to all our needs. The rooftop bar was awesome. The amenities within the room was very well stocked with snacks and beverages. I would recommend this hotel to everyone who wants a well rounded hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank Mrs. Christina G
Dear Mrs. Christina G,

Thanks for the rave review. It seems like you got the full James experience. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and authentic decor. Especially for acknowledging our pantry, our team takes great pride in selecting local vendors for our snacks and beverages. Until your next visit.

New York
Reviewed 12 July 2014

In all ways a fantastic hotel. We loved our stay. Great location in an area filled with shops and restaurants - and also close to the Hudson River Park. Nice staff and the most wonderful views from the rooftop and our room (remember to ask for a room high up). David Burkes kitchen was also a big experience. Really good food.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Jette C,

We really appreciate you taking time to share feedback about your stay. I’m glad you had a great time. You pointed to some of our most unique features, including our restaurant DBK, JIMMY our rooftop bar. But more importantly, thank you for acknowledging our team. They’re a huge asset. Until your next visit.

Warm regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

An NYC local colleague recommended we stay here on a part romantic part business trip with my husband, mainly due to the pool! Unfortunately it wasn't really such a memorable hotel and I do love to travel and find great boutiques... Of which NYC has a few gems. The rooms were larger than normal for NYC and the desk staff lovely enough. Unfortunately it just didn't have anything that special going for it. The interiors were fine but not unique, the views of manhattan nothing like those you can get elsewhere and it just didn't have a standout vibe or style. my biggest issue was that downstairs they were more concerned with playing bouncer in regard to the private party upstairs than letting in the clientele of the hotel. This meant at one time when the crowds were lining up we actually had real issues even getting into the hotel. As my colleague initially recommended, great to head up for the pool parties on a hot day in Manhattan,but perhaps there are better places to stay where their greater concern is the hotel guests.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear gttlondon,

That’s disheartening to hear that your first stay with us wasn’t flawless. Thank you for sharing that feedback. It is unfortunate that you encountered the series of issues you describe. We will inform our team in order to continue to improve. I'm disappointed to hear that our staff wasn’t more welcoming ; this is definitely not typical of the service we offer at our hotel. If you are ever in New York again, please feel free to reach out to me directly so I can personally oversee your stay at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com