“NY on a Whim”

The James New York-SoHo
Ranked #174 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We took a 24 hr business trip to SoHo. Contacted the James Hotel and felt right at home. Would highly recommend. Personalized and friendly service. Egger at the front desk was fantastic and Eric in valet/transportation very helpful. Location of hotel made walking in the area easy with many options for dining and snacking.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Thank Ms. Linda E
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Ms. Linda E,

Thanks for taking time to write a review. The James’ prime location is one of my favorite features of the hotel so I’m glad you enjoyed it. Guests avoid the hustle and bustle of Midtown while getting a genuine New York experience in vibrant Soho. But more importantly, thank you for acknowledging Ecker and Eric. They’re huge asset to our team. We look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for The James New York-SoHo

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The James Hotel provides an amazing hotel experience in the very cool, hip SOHO area. The hotel itself is clean, modern and has a great outdoor patio space, a pool/roof deck area, a lounge and various restaurants. The staff is absolutely incredible…from the concierge, reception, bartenders to deck staff. They go out of their way to help in any way they can. We didn't have time to take advantage of all their other services (bikes, spa, etc). I was there for 24 hours with my best friend and they made the experience such a pleasurable one that we plan on making it an annual trip. I truly haven't had this quality of service since my honeymoon at the Four Seasons in Nevis!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank Mrs. Marni B

Dear Mrs. Marni B,

Your kind review is deeply appreciated. Thank you for taking time to share your luxury liberated experience. Our team strives to provide genuine yet unobtrusive service and seeing their hard work pay off with feedback like yours is very gratifying. Hopefully next time you're able to enjoy most of our unique amenities/features. Your recommendation means a lot to us so I wanted to personally thank you. Until your next stay!

All the best,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The stratospheric Tripadvisor ratings for The James in New York led us to reserve a room during our most recent trip to NYC at this establishment.

Would agree with reviewers that lobby staff are friendly and helpful, that the hotel is clean, rooms are small but nice with good views, and location is great.

Be warned however that come 3 PM on weekends, the staff opens the rooftop pool to general public. The staff evict hotel patrons from their lounge chairs to make way for the subsequent onslaught of visitors to the pool and bar. The staff unceremoniously also walk around with obnoxious "reserved" signs and place them next to hotel patrons to complete the eviction process. Really poor form for a hotel of this cost.

Probably won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank booferino

Dear booferino,

It’s disappointing to hear that you didn't have a flawless experience. We strive to improve each day so thank you for the candid feedback. The rooftop bar opens to the surrounding neighborhood in the evening but guest comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us so I apologize that your visit was negatively impacted. We will review your feedback with our team. On a bright note, if you’re willing to give us a second chance. Feel free to reach out to me directly so I can personally oversee your stay at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com

Best regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Visited last september and was an amazing stay! The hotel welcomed us with a luxury feel with a hotel assistant helping us to our room with our bags and they were efficient and great! The view from our room was great especially as we were high enough to see pretty much all of NYC, and loved waking up to see all the yellow taxi's. We visited a bit of new york but were quite tired from the jet lag that day. We went to Jimmy's the next morning for some breakfast and experienced my first pancakes and bacon! We stayed overall for 4 nights and the room was spotless and lovely designed with super cool rolling down blinds to separate the glass bathroom to the bedroom. I would highly recommend the James and also would also say to check out the mexican along the road on the right, they do the best enchiladas!
The pool on the roof was amazing and the views are breathtaking!

Room Tip: We chose a double room and it was impeccable. No faults!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank heather g
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Heather g,

Thanks for choosing The James for your visit to New York. I’m glad you enjoyed your room. Our corner rooms have the best views. Our team is our greatest asset so I’ll be sure to relay your special mention to them. The James’ luxury liberated approach to guest service strives to be genuine and unobtrusive. It’s great you felt welcomed.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I live in the neighborhood but had construction going on in my apartment. So I went down the street to The James. It was amazing, staff, etc....I felt pampered and like I had just been on vacation~~~~

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Thank Ms. Lori K

Dear Ms. Lori K,

We really appreciate you taking time to share feedback about your stay. I’m glad you had a great time. But more importantly, thank you for acknowledging our team. They’re a huge asset. Until your next visit.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

What makes the James so special is not only the great neighborhood that it is in but the amazing people that work there. Everyone we encountered was friendly, helpful, and so welcoming. The rooms are well equipped, the shower and bath products are amazing!
The 24 hour complimentary treats in the lobby are an extra treat. Coffee and pastries in the morning, fruit all day, and wine and cheese in the evening are such a nice touch.
There are tons of hotels in NY, but I won't search anymore. The James will be my go to hotel in NY! Keep up the great work.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Soccerlover4321,

Thanks for taking time to share your James experience. Your loyalty and recommendation means a lot to us. I’m also happy you enjoyed the welcoming atmosphere our team strives to provide and the complimentary treats served at The James Club. We hope you return very soon. Thanks again!

All the best,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I've been to the James on several occasions. The first stretch was through work, and later, I stayed there with my wife. Their customer service is top notch. For example, upon pulling up to the curb, the staff immediately helped with the bags, and while unloading the car, gave all sorts of useful recommendations on what was happening in the area - restaurants to try, places to visit if I had time, etc. Upon check-in they welcomed me back to the hotel. (Nice to see they keep records and then acknowledge their return guests!) I left a nice tip with housekeeping who did a flawless job in the room, and they responded with a handwritten note of thanks.

The rooms are clean and modern and the dining is outstanding. You can''t go wrong with David Burke Kitchen - I know because I've tried virtually everything on the menu!

I highly recommend The James for business and for couples!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ace44444,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking time to share about your visit to The James. Your attention to and appreciation for details are refreshing. Your feedback is very insightful. I’m glad you found the team friendly and welcoming upon your arrival. I will pass along to them your positive feedback. We strive to provide genuine unobtrusive guest service. Thank you again. We hope you return soon.

Warmly,