“Let it Be, Broadway Review”
Review of St. James Theater

Ranked #205 of 1,101 things to do in New York City
Long Island, NY
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Let it Be, Broadway Review”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I read a lot of negative reviews from critics on this show and was bracing for a terrible experience, but it turned out the show wasn't that bad. It's basically like watching a Beatles cover band. A very good one by the way!

If you're a Beatles fan it's good, if not, well don't go.

1 Thank SalMTravels

Lebanon, NJ
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Took my wife to "Let it Be" for her birthday and had a great time. An old Beatles fan, she enjoyed it immensely, as I did. The theatre does a great job re-creating old TV clips and commercials from the 1960's as well. Very good show.

1 Thank ChiefRQ
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Let It Be, Beatles review”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is a lovely theater, very well maintained. The Beatles songs were mostly in sequence, and the musicians did a great job with them. In the early Beatles numbers it was hard to figure out who was supposed to be Paul and who was John. Later it was easier with John's glasses and distinctive hair. The musicians did get the audience involved and it was an enjoyable evening. This is billed as a Broadway play, but it's actually a Beatles' concert with cover musicians. Was it good? Yes. Worth the $127/ticket price? Only if you LOVE the Beatles.

1 Thank Palacegypsy13
Cockeysville, Maryland
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“"Let It Be" Beatles Review, fun but not perfect”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I would have given this show an average (based on overall music quality), but the purpose of Broadway is to entertain the audience. And we were entertained!

We had a great time - we sang, danced and enjoyed the costumes and music. Although the overall experience was very good, musically some of the songs were poorly executed. But if you are ready to have fun, sing and are willing to get into the whole Beatles review thing (they were such an amazing phenomenon) the show does a good synopsis of that heady time. I had not heard/seen other Beatles review bands, so I can't compare. I think the original Beatles are a tough act to follow...

Kansas
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“Don't waste a night on Broadway here”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Very disappointed. I was unable to find reviews because the show is listed under the St. James Theatre instead of "let it be". That is good news for this terrible show. We have local groups in Kansas City (Liverpool) who are so much better than this Broadway show. I have seen many tribute artists and Rain used to be my favorite, until I saw the Fab Four. Any Beatles fan should catch one of their traveling performances.
I expected this Broadway show to be the best of the best. C'mon, they made it to Broadway. It was truly the worst Beatles tribute show I have seen. I was in the 2nd row, in fabulous seats. Now I know why these seats were available same day at that 1/2 price ticket place (still not worth $57).
The people sitting around me enjoyed the music. How can you not? It is the Beatles music. We could have had a DJ spin the music and all chipped in $5 to cover and had the same experience.
The Ringo drummer looked like a short Al Pacino with a Phil Specter wig. He was the best, which is only sort of a compliment based on how bad this show was.
Paul looked nothing like Paul, but he tried so hard. He is the only one who really put his heart and soul into the performance. Unfortunately, if you don't really look like Paul McCartney and you don't really sound like Paul McCartney, it is hard to impersonate Paul McCartney.
The person playing John Lennon was not even in the program as a performer or an understudy. I don't know where he came from, but it was obvious he was not liked and not part of the group. Probably for good reason, he kept trying to take over the show. He was cocky and smirking the whole time, and had no connection with the audience whatsoever.
Saving the worst for last, the George was so horrible I would have thought they grabbed him off the street right before the performance. His bio showed many shows, and I have to say I'm glad I did not see any of them. The best way I can describe him is Bobby Brady (from the Brady Bunch) in a costume for an elementary school talent show. He would not have won. This guy looked scared to death the entire time. There was no personality, just this glazed look. He forgot the words to his one solo, and was so far out of his depth I almost felt sorry for him.
I have one night each trip to see a show. I have seen 20 Broadway shows and not given any of them below 4.5 out of 5 stars until this show. This show was a 1 star. I feel really bad saying that based on how hard the Paul character tried, but it just was not there.
I would not see this show again if it was in my home town and was free. What a disappointment that I wasted my one night to see this show, and I'm a big fan of Beatles tribute bands.

1 Thank MLMRocksTravel