“Great value for the location”

Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York
Ranked #106 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Leandro, California
“Great value for the location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Cassa hotel this past May for several days. Our goal was to find the most affordable yet modern hotel near Times Square. In this regard I feel that Cassa is a great value. With limited time it was important that we be close to the action (tourist action anyway). The hotel is one and a half blocks east and two blocks north of Times Square. Even with the long city blocks in Manhattan, the walk doesn’t seem long at all because of how much action there is in that area. The service was on par with an establishment of this price point and location. The room was well appointed, clean, modern, and comfortable. While the room was very small, the bathroom was bright and spacious. Unfortunately I can’t recall our room number but it was an interior facing room. Our view was of the backs of other buildings and the patio of the restaurant below, which is located in the basement of the hotel. In general, some pros, cons, and observations:

- The window does not open all the way. The photo attached shows the widest it will open.
- The 10th floor lounge opens into an adjoining terrace that overlooks W. 45th Street. We never used it for anything but it appears to be a relaxing space. There is also a restroom available on that floor.
- There is a Pret A Manger next door which offers coffees, juices, sandwiches, and breakfast items at good quality and prices, a welcome relief from the high prices in that part of town. The hotel does not include breakfast with the room nor do they offer one for a charge so being next to a Pret A Manger was a big benefit.
- Other pro’s: rainfall shower, large TV, quiet rooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank khchang
pridguard60763, Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your 5 Star rating for everyone to see and discover Cassa. I am so happy you had a fantastic stay and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Cassa Hotel is always a pleasurable stay. For years I looked for a convenient but affordable, clean but spacious (for NY) hotel for my trips into the city for work. I like to stay in the heart of the city since my clients are in walking distance or a short cab ride, and then I'm also in walking distance to Time Square for dinners and entertainment at night.

I've stayed at numerous locations near Time Square which can get pricy because of the tourists. However the Cassa Hotel is always affordable and offers the same amenities as all the surrounding hotels. If you've been to NY you know that space is a luxury when it comes to hotel rooms, and you're usually playing chess with your room door opening onto the desk chair or worse your bed. At Cassa I've never had an issue, from their smallest of rooms to their more spacious suites, they have found an effective yet cozy way to make each room inviting.

Just note, the Cassa Hotel is a boutique hotel, meaning it's a smaller hotel without a spacious lobby for get-togethers or working lunches. The upper half of the hotel are 'owned' condos that can be rented out should you be coming with a larger family. The lobby consists of a few chairs and the check in counter, however the hotel features an amazing restaurant that opened in the last year, Butter. I believe one of the Food Network Stars is the chef, if you watch the show. Being that it's a boutique hotel, there is no room service (well none that I know of) however they have several personal items should you forget your toothpaste etc. The rooms have a small fridge, so I always buy some extra drinks and/or snacks to munch on. I'm of the belief that if you're in the city you should get dressed, walk outside and find yourself a meal since there is so much to experience, so the room service has never been an issue to me.

I will definitely continue to stay at the Cassa Hotel for each of my upcoming trips for business, as well as my personal ones too. The staff is friendly and accommodating, and I couldn't imagine wanting to stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: If you are not familiar with NY hotel rooms being on the small size, I would suggest you upgrade to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here on business in July 2014.

I arrived around 11.30pm on a stormy night (post a significant flight delay) along with a co-worker to be told by the ever-smiling reception host that the hotel had given our rooms away. Rooms that had been confirmed and pre-paid for by us, over a week ago. The only option, said the receptionist, was to double up with my co-traveller in a room with 2 double beds, which the hotel had saved out of the goodness of their hearts. Also, the obligatory: "we hardly ever do an overbooking" story followed. Well, you have overbooked 100% of the times I have used your hotel, so the other stats weren't really relevant to me...so the rest of the apology was just jabber.

The receptionist also made it clear that if we chose not to take this option it would take over an hour to find alternate accommodations at another hotel, and it was going to be a difficult endeavor given the lateness of the hour and the stormy weather (several flights in and out of NYC had been cancelled that evening). I would have imagined that the hotel would at least have an option ready, in the eventuality of us showing up but the bets had obviously been placed at their end on a no-show on our part.

We were told we would be refunded the amount for the 2nd room that they weren't giving us...wow, imagine that...you aren't going to charge me for a service you don't provide me...thank you so much for your considerate behavior.

Any how, we chose the only room available given early morning meetings. The room itself was large and comfortable. The bed was also comfortable, although the aircon vent (could not be adjusted) blew directly on my head all night and left me with a cold the next day. The bathroom, especially the shower, was large and nicely done up in cream tiles and stone. Oh Cassa, how I wished you hadn't overbooked, cause there is some real promise here.

In the morning we received a hesitant note from the manager inviting us for breakfast at their restaurant...we did partake, but the pickings were meager at best...a few muffins, some juice, some fruit...I have had better, pretty much everywhere else I have stayed.

Overall, a disappointing experience...especially when the facilities are so good. Our travel agent wrangled some other freebies out of management later, but I could really care less.

Note to potential hotel guests: make sure you check in early, else you may not get a room at all.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank TooshMan
Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We just stayed for a night in Cassa.

Room is really small and bed smaller for 2 people. But it was neat & clean. Bathroom was spacious with satisfactory amenities and of course with a single bathrobe for 2 people... ;) ....

Staff of Cassa is really nice and helpful. We really liked their hospitality.

The location of hotel is just perfect. Even if its in bustling area of Manhattan, you wont listen all that chaos in your room. One negative thing is that, room doesn't have any view at all. We were on 14th floor with a view of a building right next door.

Times square, Rockfellar center and all major sightseeing are at walking distance.

Overall...its a nice hotel & I'll be definitely recommending it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Snehmira
pridguard60763, Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us and giving us a great shout out on Trip Advisor. We are so happy that you were able to give an objective yet informed review of our property and liked your stay so much that you will be sharing with everyone.

We will be looking at the internal opportunities you mentioned and ensure they get corrected and the team retrained to ensure consistent execution to meet our guests expectation.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I love, love, loved my stay at the Cassa. I originally booked for a week, however my flight was delayed, so I arrived there a day late and was immediately upgraded. The staff were friendly and welcoming and I always got a hello as I entered and left the hotel The hotel is close to Times Square, but far enough away to avoid the crowds. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and will recommend it to anyone looking for a more "personal" hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank judyb555
Dear Judyb555,

Thank you for the great review and I am so happy that you had a fantastic stay with us. Your review was great and to the point and we could not have asked for anything more from you.

Thanks for keeping us informed and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights with some friends. Unfortunately we had some problems. Our key cards were reset several times as they would never work and our A/C was broken. It was over 90F and very humid in New York that week! Had to move to a different room temporarily when we returned to our room after 1:00am because of the A/C. We were reassured that it would be fixed in the morning but the maintenance workers did not get to it until the afternoon and then it still didn't work. So we moved all of our things to yet a 3rd room. The key cards and the A/C worked just fine it that room. There were a lot of apologies but nothing was done for us until late afternoon on the second day.
On another note, our friends had no issues with their room.
Location was perfect for access to Times Square and theatres.
This is a smaller boutique style hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
pridguard60763, Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Dorris M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on your most recent stay with us. We are glad that Cassa was the hotel of choice but disappointed we were not able to have your stay be as smooth as your friends. Your feedback is critical to us to better understand and pin point the opportunities our guests have been facing and create solutions to improve our process and overall guest experience.

I apologize that our colleagues did not attend to your needs as expected but trust that should you decide to return to NYC you will reach out to me so that I can secure a more pleasant and memorable visit.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel the end of June. It was a last minute trip and this happened to be one of the cheapest hotel in Times Square area. The location of the hotel is perfect. It's on a quiet street but only a couple of blocks from times square. An easy 10 min or less walk. The hotel is very clean.

PROS:
-Location
- hotel super clean
-Front desk very welcoming and professional
-room was right by the elevator but we didn't hear the elevator or people coming in and out.
-Modern design
- There is a restaurant with a cute outdoor patio
-Bathrobe lol
-Hotel can keep your luggage free of charge after you check out (tipping is always welcome)
CONS:
-The view was very bad. our view was a building right next door.
- My friend and I booked a double bed because all the queen bedrooms were sold out. Big mistake!! the bed was very small. it was not enough space for two. I'm 5'8 and my legs were hanging off the bed at times. pillows were not comfortable.
-The guy outside who is in charge of getting taxis for hotel guess. We told him we were going to catch our train back home and instead of getting us a cab, he started having a conversation with another employee. it wasn't a work related conversation by the way. after standing there for a good 8 min, we decided to try to stop a cab ourselves, once he saw that, he stopped his conversation and got us a cab. I thought that was very rude especially that he knew we were going to catch a train.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Diachel
Thank you for taking the time to share your hotel experience with us. While I am disappointed your stay was not as memorable as most of our guests who have posted on trip Advisor, it tells me we have a few opportunities to work on. Our guest feedback is crucial to us and I would like to assure you that we will be taking a closer look into the feedback to ensure we do not impact another guest stay negatively.

I trust that you will give us another try in the future as your overall stay is not indicative of the services we provide and I would love for you to give us another try. Thank you again for your feedback and in helping us becoming a better Cassa.