“Great location for SoHo end of Manhattan”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo
Ranked #210 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location for SoHo end of Manhattan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights at the end of December 2011. We loved all the restaurants and the variety of same, within a short walk as Varick Street borders Little Italy. We travelled north, turned right at Carmine St and then up to Bleeker St. Lots of price ranges to suit all budgets. Also several Jazz clubs that area. When you walk out of the hotel, you can turn left or right to grab an inexpensive breakfast, only a minute or two either way. The subway was just on the corner of W Houston St (left out of the hotel). There's a guest self-serve laundry (with complimentary wash powder from the front desk) next to the gym. Oh, and the staff were always in a good mood, always willing to assist. As others have mentioned, the room wasn't that big and I agree with past comments, it was clean, comfortable, quiet & secure, you need your room swipe card to operate the lift. Varick St turns into 7th Ave as you head north and not too far from the 5th Ave shops (east). Don't eat at King Wok in Varick St unless you like bland food.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Can't beat this place in NYC for location and price and friendliness. Room was the expected small, but comfortable.and clean and quiet! We felt like a part of the neighborhood and made good use of the Number 1 just up the block. There was an extra nice attendant at the wine bar -you should stop in and say hello to him; and the wines were some of California's nicest. Stayed 4 nights. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Our particular room did not have good cell phone reception, but others may.
1 Thank MrsParke
Kettering, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I have recently started traveling to New York City on business and I have stayed here 4 times in the past year. I like the location, close to Soho and Chelsea and great restaurants without feeling too crowded. The subway is a block away and the staff always makes me feel welcome. They even recommended a terrific car service (Toche Global Chauffeured Services) that I will review separately. They meet me at La Guardia on time and when I need to leave at 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. to go home they are always waiting in the lobby when I come downstairs. The rooms in this hotel are small, but certainly in line with other New York City rooms. The hotel is fairly new, I think about a year old, so it is in great shape. I enjoy having the Starbucks in the lobby and the staff there is always cheerful. I use the exercise room and it has everything one would need for a good workout. My room had a nice view out to Staten Island and I was on the top floor, so I felt completely comfortable with the shades open. One thing about this hotel is that the prices for the rooms can vary widely depending on what is going on in the city - I have been surprised a couple of times by price hikes of as much as $300 (this was during "fashion week" in September). Overall, this is a really great hotel in a good location. I will stay here whenever I am in town.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Staten Island and an upper floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank criswelldavis
Irving, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

Just returned from a three night stay at the Courtyard Soho. I travel to NYC 3-4 times a year on business. This trip I wanted to spice things up and stay in a new neighborhood. Got a great rate w/ breakfast (under $200/nt) so I snagged it. Location is excellent. For those wanting to get away from the Time Square tourist trap then this is a great option. Houston Street subway stop is right out the door for the 1 Line. Quick trip up to Times Square and Theatre District. I also love all the great restaurants and bars close by in Soho and the Village.

The rooms are fairly basic and small, but are nicely appointed since the hotel is fairly new. I also liked the bathroom decor and the fact it was just a shower and no tub. I hate tubs in hotels! Who uses them anyways??

Didn't have a chance to check out the fitness center but if you are a runner you can go over a few blocks and use the trail along the Hudson for a nice jog.

Lastly, the staff here was amazing. When you stay at Courtyards and the like you come to expect basic service. The staff here is extremely helpful and overly friendly. They helped answer any question we had and offered to open up the bar for us a little early one day.

I have now bumped this property to my first choice of places to stay when traveling to NYC! Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Noise from the street can be loud at night. Opt for a high floor or a room not facing Varick St.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

I travel to NYC for business and pleasure quite a bit and I will only stay at the Courtyard Marriott in Soho. It is so nice to be away from the Times Square area and the Courtyard Soho is safe and feels like a home away from home. The subway is right outside the door and you can easily get a taxi at any time. The front doors to the hotel are locked after certain hours and you need your key to get in, and the elevators are locked 24/7 so you don't have to worry about intruders getting upstairs. Greenwich Village, West Village, Chelsea, and Meatpacking are all just a few blocks away with lots of fun restaurants and bars. The hotel can be expensive during peak season and the rooms are small but it is always worth it when compared to other hotels I have stayed in NY. The temperature in the room is always reasonable too, and you can control it on your own.

I recently left my phone charger behind and my husband suggested we call the hotel to see if they would send it to us. I told him it's not worth the effort since most hotels don't have an organized lost&found system, but he called anyway and they sent it to me! Something as simple as that really went a long way because I felt like they actually cared. The front desk staff is always there to greet you when you return the hotel and make you feel special and the rooms are always clean. Keep up the good work!

1 Thank Vineyard712
New England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

My husband & I selected to stay at the Courtyard because of its location & to use our Marriott points. The lobby is small, well-decorated, stocked with things you'd need (ie., news) & the staff is friendly & helpful to a perfect degree. Our 7th floor room was quiet, clean & comfortable & overlooked the street. Because of our budgetary constraints, we would stay at Courtyard again (with points) or if we're lucky enough to get a lower price (somehow). It's a real treat!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Looking
Sherwood Park, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

I paid full price for stay $399.00/night. No deals/AAA/Srs.Discount/nada. Taxes added to room rate were approx. $60.00 per night. I stayed here for a full week and again no deals. Room/Hotel very clean/no complaints. Ice machine in basement and must take two elevators to get there. Onsite Hotel services lacking (dining/confectionary). Hotel faces Main Street (Varick) and is noisy from traffic (constant horns and sirens all evening/night) regardless of how high up room is. Would suggest asking for "backside room" to get away from some of the noise. Want water? In room its $5.00 per bottle which should give you an indication how overpriced rooms etc are. Bottled water available at confectionaries nearby for less than $1.50. Visit NYC at least three(3) times per year and will probably not stay at this property again unless a more reasonable rate can be arranged.

Room Tip: Ask for Backside Room to avoid street noise and try to negotiate rate with Hotel (I could not get on...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo