“Great Option when visiting New York”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo
Ranked #223 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia
“Great Option when visiting New York”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Soho in March for a wedding. This is a newer hotel, very clean, with nice rooms in a good location. So many of the hotels in Manhattan are in older buildings, with small cramped rooms; this hotel is the opposite. This Courtyard is very similar to all the other Courtyard hotels, so there's nothhing "sexy" about it - no big, grand lobby, rooms are predictable business travel fare, but for me that was very comforting in New York. So often in the older, grand, Manhattan hotels you have to deal with the unpredictable - small rooms, heat/ac which is unreliable, etc. Also, I think the location in Lower Manhattan is a great spot for those visiting NY, especially if this is a return trip, and you want to see more of the "real NY" rather than just sight seeing. Soho and the Village, and now even the Meat Packing district are all great neighborhoods with plenty of fantastic restaurants, shopping and night life. This hotel is right in the middle of all that.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank dan62
Ashlie A, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the Courtyard by Marriott, Manhattan/SoHo! We are so happy to see you enjoyed your stay and we hope we will be your Hotel of choice when your travels bring you back to New York City. Thank you for your business!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I've been staying at this property 2 nights per week for the past 5 years. Great staff; always accommodating for last-minute changes. A real home away from home. Right off the 1 train on Houston Street, with easy access to Financial District, Penn Station, and uptown.

Love this place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JSTORian
WOW! What nice comments, and on behalf of the entire staff, we enjoy having you as our guest also! Thank you so much and we will see you soon.
Chicago
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was my first stay in Soho - I go to NYC about once a year, but usually stay in Midtown or Upper East Side. So this was a whole new part of the city for me - and I loved it! In fact, it would probably be my preferred choice when I visit next. There are TONS of shops and restaurants just a few minutes walk away - really anything you could want from major brand labels to little boutiques. And the restaurants...I could spend weeks there just eating. Dominque Ansel's bakery (home of the famous cronut) is a 5-minute walk away. There's also a store that only sells rice pudding, tons of NY pizza places, Italian, health food, anything. I needed to make a quick lunch and there were a number of food trucks parked just outside. The Kimchee Taco truck was awesome! Anyway, I'm definitely sold on Soho.

As for the hotel, it was fine. Clean rooms, friendly check-in, small but nice lobby. My room was upgraded to include a sofa (still a bit small, but NYC rooms are always small). Comfortable bed, decent shower, Paul Mitchell toiletries. No complaints at all. Most importantly, it was very quiet, especially compared to some other places I've stayed at in the city. It's exactly what you'd expect from a Marriott Courtyard -- not super high-end, but perfectly comfortable and a very good value.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Sunny77777
Thank you so much for your feedback, I actually got hungry reading your comments :)
We are thrilled your stay was enjoyable and I must agree this is an Amazing location. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you again in the future!
nj
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I am from New Jersey and planning on moving to NYC in the soho/tribeca area and have been staying at this hotel on and off for a couple of months now. I am starting to become familiar with the staff here. They are exceptional in every way. The hotel is in a prime location, it's immaculate, and I love staying here. The lobby has a starbucks for breakfast and some circular booths with televisions for your comfort while you relax. There is also a dunkin donuts right next door. It's in walking distance to nearly everything you could possibly want to do in NYC. Subways are all around if you want to venture uptown. This is my go to place always!! I have never encountered any type of problem at this hotel. It is just awesome all the way around!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Noelle R
Thank you very much for the comments, reading them was a perfect start to my day! I am pleased to see you enjoy your time here and although we are going to be sad to see you leave once you are relocated; we are looking forward to having you as a neighbor!! Thank you again and we will see you soon.
East Amherst, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We found this hotel while staying at another property and walking by on our way into the SoHo area. No matter where we were heading, we seemed to pass this one. So we decided to stay and see if it met our needs. It did! It was a cheaper cab fare between Grand Central and hotel than where we have been staying. That was a good beginning.

The room was very comfortable, and amenities almost all that were needed. There is only a shower in case you are a bathtub soaker. The "restaurant" seems to be more of a reheat location than an actual full service restaurant. I must also say that a we only looked at the menu and the area. We did not eat there.

We would definitely return.

Room Tip: There are courtyard and city view rooms depending upon your preference. We had a street side view an...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Henry D
Thank you very much for your feedback, as it is a huge contribution to our overall success. I am thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay and am excited to share your comments with the staff. I would like to mention that we do in fact have rooms that have a bathtub, they are our double rooms with the two queen beds. Thank you again for your time and we look forward to serving you again in the future!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here for a few days for a last minute business trip. My first impression of the hotel was small but otherwise up to Marriott standards.

Check-in was easy and fast. Security begins at the elevator with card access to reach each floor, which is reassuring.

Unfortunately, my assigned room faced the back alley and felt depressing...so I immediately called back to the front desk and was thankfully re-assigned a room which faced the street. Now i understand it's NYC but shame on hotels offering rooms with alley views. Had I not be moved to another room I would have relocated to another hotel.

The room itself was typical NYC small, but the bed was Marriott comfortable and the room was clean.

As I explored the hotel I came across the terrace on the second floor. It appeared to be an inviting place initially, then you open the frosted glass doors to what looked to be a storage area for laundry carts and luggage. Next stop the gym. So the gym is located in the basement, accessible by stairs or a separate elevator. Great little gym, with modern equipment and free weights.

The staff is friendly, attentive and provided useful tips on the local surrounding area.

The location/proximity to the surrounding SoHo is really the greatest asset for this hotel.

Decent hotel for business trips, but not not my top choice in terms of value.

Room Tip: Request room which faces the street, and higher floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank P0nomo
Nicholas P, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear our SoHo location worked for your needs while in NYC. I was sorry to read the first room you were given didn't meet your expectation but I'm glad our staff was able to assist you with a more satisfactory room. We do hope you visit with us again when in New York.

Nicholas Pappagallo
London
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I visited New York for St Patricks weekend with my boyfriend. We arrived early afternoon and we were shown straight to our room. We were very impressed with the room having visited NY twice before this. We were on the 12th floor, no noise from outside and our double room was a great size and very clean. The hotel is located right next to the subway which was great. If you are wanting to visit a lot of the sites and attractions I would recommend to get a weeks unlimited pass for $30 each as it's $2.50 each for every single trip and this can be costly without the pass. It takes less than ten minutes to get up to Central Park. Right near the hotel is the fire museum which is worth a visit. We visited Brooklyn Bridge we took a cab from the hotel which cost 5 dollars. I would recommend walking over the bridge the views are amazing plus you can see the statue of liberty (obviously a very small version) the bridge is very close to city hall and the world trade centres/ hope tower site, all within walking distance. A great part of NY to visit. You can just hop on the number 1 train to get back to the hotel. The staff were great at the hotel. They recommended a breakfast at 'four chairs' the pancakes are lush! They were always friendly at any point of the day. They organised our pick up to take us to the airport and this was a great price of $55. He took us a quick route so we were able to leave a little later. You can print your boarding passes at the hotel which was great as this saved time at the airport. This hotel is great if you are looking to explore NY's culture and sites. Soho is great for shopping and you are about 10-15 minutes walking distance from the shops.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank makyla21
Thank you for providing feedback on our hotel about you recent stay in NYC. I am thrilled to hear our central location to many of NYC's top attractions and our close proximity to the subway helped make it a good trip. We hope to have you back soon.

Nicholas Pappagallo