“Very nice stay”

Element New York Times Square West
Ranked #307 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 March 2011

I go to NYC several times a year and this is definately one of the better places to stay. I would recommend it to anyone and I am a travel agent. Rooms were very clean and maintained well throughout my stay. The only issues that I had were that it takes a while for the water to heat up and the elevators are slow. The quality of the room, friendliness of staff, overall cleanliness and great location far outweighed these issues. I will stay here next time I visit and will be recommending this hotel to my clients.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (4,223)

Reviewed 23 March 2011

I recently traveled to NY for a trade show. I stayed at the Element Hotel for 4 nights. I can't say anything bad about the rooms themselves. They were a good size, had a large desk with plenty of storage, great amount of both natural and artificial light. The bathrooms were clean and freshly designed, showers were large and included a hand shower. The beds were so comfortable and the temperature was easily regulated. It was convenient having the small kitchenette.

The elevators situation took this rating down at least two stars. There is nothing worse than getting in an elevator that is already full and then having a member of the service staff cram in with you with a bucket of dirty water and cleaning products. The elevators were so slow and always packed. I always left myself 10 minutes to take the elevator from my room on the 23 floor to the lobby. (the hotel has 40 floors) The staff also wasn't very impolite when using the elevator, when we reached the lobby the staff would often push from the back to get out first. (SO much for Ladies... or Guest first) This hotel should teach their staff some proper etiquette.

The breakfast at the hotel was subpar, muffins were always stale and often times there would be no juice left or maybe there wasn't enough staff to keep up with the demand. Also i usually would grab breakfast around 8am and it was often had to find a clean place to sit. They were completely understaffed when it came to cleaning up and making sure that dirty dishes and crumbs had been cleared away. Although the kitchen and bus staff were always very polite.

Getting a cab was always a pain, because the hotel is located on a side road, so give yourself enough time to wait for a cab, the hotel tries there best to get you one as soon as they can.

The fact that there was no room service was a turn off, especially when I would arrive back to the hotel late after working a long day (traveling solo) It would have been nice to order room service. (the hotel says they have a place stocked with healthy food that guest can purchase. not the case the freezer was filled with frozen mexican and spanish food (you think you would find lean cuisine but no all you find is second rate ice cream bars beer and candy, (nothing substantial).

I would consider staying here again if the price was low. I would not pay more than 225.00 per night the staff was not attentive enough, elevator situation was terrible, no room service, but the rooms were comfortable and very clean.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We booked this hotel using airline miles. It was the closest thing we could get to times square on points. They try to market this Element line as being "boutique", but it's not really in the same class as some real boutique hotels such as the Ace Hotel which was our previous hotel. However, it is a little more hip than the rest of the Starwood chain.

We were greeted at the door by a bellman and then promptly again at the desk. They didn't miss a beat. Everything in the lobby just seemed so white and the furniture didn't feel real welcoming. Into the room, it was a very nice size. We seemed to have gotten an accessible room for the disabled. The little kitchenette was useful as was the small sitting area and desk. We kind of liked the decor, but the hardwood floors were cold. I guess it's easier to keep clean and you don't have to worry about what is hiding in the carpets.

The bathroom lacked counter space. So no real place to put your toiletries. Perhaps the interior designers forgot about the functionality of that nice sink. The shower was a walk in with no lip and just a curtain. I suppose this would allow for a wheelchair to roll right in, but for us, it created an issue with water on the floors.

The view from our room was nice. It didn't face a brick wall and we could see out onto the street. Internet access was great and we used the computers in the business center to print off boarding passes. You get the option to use either a windows on mac as the computers are dual boot. Complementary breakfast and evening snacks are available. We wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank daymeeyan
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Clean, Friendly and helpful staff
the room are small and the bed was not that comfy, but who cares its was just for a few nights...Comparing to other hotels...this was GREAT.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Very nice hotel, very clean. I loved the shower! Though I think the water heaters are shared. We didn't have any hot water one morning, which was a bummer. Loved the kitchenette, though we didn't use it much.

It was noisy at night, but what do you expect if you want to be in the middle of things??

Breakfasts were hectic, and two out of the three mornings we were there, they took forever replacing the coffee, which was then empty again 2 minutes later. But, it was a free breakfast, and good breakfast at that. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We also had no problem waiting for elevators.

I also love that they try to be green. They have recycling in all the rooms. They said that they wouldn't change the towels unless we left them on the floor, but they changed them anyway. It seems like they are trying to make an effort to be green, but they fall short in a couple of areas. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay there, and I would highly recommend Element to anybody.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I realize this is NYC, but having a night club next door doesn't help this hotel! Perhaps rooms on higher floors are less noisy. Since you are not allowed to smoke in bars and clubs having drunk clubbers out on the streets shouting and yelling does not make for a good nights sleep! Perhaps management could place ear plus in the lower floor rooms!
I found everything else about this hotel to be pleasant. I am a low maintenance guest unlike others who may have blamed the management for such noise. The kitchenette seemed over kill for NY as who wants to buy and cook food with thousands of great options to eat at in NY?? Perhaps Starwood could have spent more on more sound proof windows instead of a kitchen that is wasted.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Yes, breakfast is crowded and yes, you may have to wait a few minutes on an elevator but otherwise a great hotel. The rooms are bright, clean and calming. Having a microwave, sink and refrigerator in NY is a great plus! The bed was very comfortable and the room was decent size for Manhattan. The breakfast was delicious (get there early to see beautiful food preparations) but on weekends, it disappears quickly. Location was excellent for subway access as well as mid-town walking. Take time to visit the roof for a great view of the city. They even have table and chairs up there to enjoy some wine and cheese if the weather is nice!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple