“Good stay but housekeeping was lacking!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Element New York Times Square West
Ranked #252 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York, NY
“Good stay but housekeeping was lacking!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

The element was a good hotel. The pros of it were: loved the room. We were on the 22nd floor facing the street so it was away from any noise. The bed was comfy, the sitting area was great, and we took advantage of the free internet. The kitchenette with the fridge, microwave and sink was great. We stayed for 9 nights and that definitely helped when we had leftovers or wanted some cold drinks. The bathroom was big and had a nice sink, and a big shower. The area behind the elevators was very plush and beautiful, as was the rooftop terrace. It was also convenient that there were computers and a printer in the lounge area. The bellmen and the staff are friendly. The free breakfast was a plus too - although one saturday, my bf went down to get breakfast and he got the last bit of food. The kitchen did not bring out any more food and a lot of people were angry.
Now for the cons: housekeeping wasn't great at all. In all the days that we stayed there, I never knew whether my room would be cleaned when I got back to my room. One time we asked for our room to be cleaned, and I have to admit, it was late when we asked them. My bf took a red eye so he slept most of the day and we finally left our room at 5pm and we asked for service. We were promised service by the front desk but did not receive it when we got back later on. I thought that was forgiveable because we had asked them so late and perhaps the staff had left for the day. But other times our room was clean but not cleaned thoroughly. I have stayed at many hotels where the room was always spotless when we came back but I didn't feel like that was the case here.
Then one night, I got back to the hotel and our room was HALFWAY done. The bathroom was clean but the bed was halfway made. One comforter was on the sofa and the other sheets were halfway tucked in. It's almost like they left in the middle of cleaning it! We made a call to the front desk and our bed was made the next day, but as I mentioned, our room did not feel very clean. One time I had very little toilet paper left and thought they would leave another roll under the sink for me, but they did not. My bf had to go downstairs to get some more.
Also, on the weekends the elevator is extremely crowded. I work in a NYC building nearby with 30 floors and we have 16 elevators and two sets of elevator banks. This hotel only has 3 elevators for 40 floors! I do agree with what others said about the cleaning staff having their own elevator so guests are not rubbing against dirty mops, etc.

All in all, I would give a five for the stay, but housekeeping brought down my rating by a couple of stars.
I would recommend staying here for the nice room and the convenience to Times Square but be warned about the subpar housekeeping.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

My wife and I just returned from our Element stay. We had a great time and will return next year. The room was very clean, great view, friendly staff, no problems. I read were someone spoke about the "strange club" two doors down. Its New York City Lady, go back to Kansas.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boxerdog2000
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

I go to NYC several times a year and this is definately one of the better places to stay. I would recommend it to anyone and I am a travel agent. Rooms were very clean and maintained well throughout my stay. The only issues that I had were that it takes a while for the water to heat up and the elevators are slow. The quality of the room, friendliness of staff, overall cleanliness and great location far outweighed these issues. I will stay here next time I visit and will be recommending this hotel to my clients.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

I recently traveled to NY for a trade show. I stayed at the Element Hotel for 4 nights. I can't say anything bad about the rooms themselves. They were a good size, had a large desk with plenty of storage, great amount of both natural and artificial light. The bathrooms were clean and freshly designed, showers were large and included a hand shower. The beds were so comfortable and the temperature was easily regulated. It was convenient having the small kitchenette.

The elevators situation took this rating down at least two stars. There is nothing worse than getting in an elevator that is already full and then having a member of the service staff cram in with you with a bucket of dirty water and cleaning products. The elevators were so slow and always packed. I always left myself 10 minutes to take the elevator from my room on the 23 floor to the lobby. (the hotel has 40 floors) The staff also wasn't very impolite when using the elevator, when we reached the lobby the staff would often push from the back to get out first. (SO much for Ladies... or Guest first) This hotel should teach their staff some proper etiquette.

The breakfast at the hotel was subpar, muffins were always stale and often times there would be no juice left or maybe there wasn't enough staff to keep up with the demand. Also i usually would grab breakfast around 8am and it was often had to find a clean place to sit. They were completely understaffed when it came to cleaning up and making sure that dirty dishes and crumbs had been cleared away. Although the kitchen and bus staff were always very polite.

Getting a cab was always a pain, because the hotel is located on a side road, so give yourself enough time to wait for a cab, the hotel tries there best to get you one as soon as they can.

The fact that there was no room service was a turn off, especially when I would arrive back to the hotel late after working a long day (traveling solo) It would have been nice to order room service. (the hotel says they have a place stocked with healthy food that guest can purchase. not the case the freezer was filled with frozen mexican and spanish food (you think you would find lean cuisine but no all you find is second rate ice cream bars beer and candy, (nothing substantial).

I would consider staying here again if the price was low. I would not pay more than 225.00 per night the staff was not attentive enough, elevator situation was terrible, no room service, but the rooms were comfortable and very clean.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

We booked this hotel using airline miles. It was the closest thing we could get to times square on points. They try to market this Element line as being "boutique", but it's not really in the same class as some real boutique hotels such as the Ace Hotel which was our previous hotel. However, it is a little more hip than the rest of the Starwood chain.

We were greeted at the door by a bellman and then promptly again at the desk. They didn't miss a beat. Everything in the lobby just seemed so white and the furniture didn't feel real welcoming. Into the room, it was a very nice size. We seemed to have gotten an accessible room for the disabled. The little kitchenette was useful as was the small sitting area and desk. We kind of liked the decor, but the hardwood floors were cold. I guess it's easier to keep clean and you don't have to worry about what is hiding in the carpets.

The bathroom lacked counter space. So no real place to put your toiletries. Perhaps the interior designers forgot about the functionality of that nice sink. The shower was a walk in with no lip and just a curtain. I suppose this would allow for a wheelchair to roll right in, but for us, it created an issue with water on the floors.

The view from our room was nice. It didn't face a brick wall and we could see out onto the street. Internet access was great and we used the computers in the business center to print off boarding passes. You get the option to use either a windows on mac as the computers are dual boot. Complementary breakfast and evening snacks are available. We wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daymeeyan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

Clean, Friendly and helpful staff
the room are small and the bed was not that comfy, but who cares its was just for a few nights...Comparing to other hotels...this was GREAT.

Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

Very nice hotel, very clean. I loved the shower! Though I think the water heaters are shared. We didn't have any hot water one morning, which was a bummer. Loved the kitchenette, though we didn't use it much.

It was noisy at night, but what do you expect if you want to be in the middle of things??

Breakfasts were hectic, and two out of the three mornings we were there, they took forever replacing the coffee, which was then empty again 2 minutes later. But, it was a free breakfast, and good breakfast at that. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We also had no problem waiting for elevators.

I also love that they try to be green. They have recycling in all the rooms. They said that they wouldn't change the towels unless we left them on the floor, but they changed them anyway. It seems like they are trying to make an effort to be green, but they fall short in a couple of areas. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay there, and I would highly recommend Element to anybody.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business