“Charming staff who aim to please.”

Element New York Times Square West
Ranked #278 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Charming staff who aim to please.”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Extremely central location with easy access to key metro stations within a short walk. The room was clean, tidy and very comfortable. Everything about the room indicated quality including a seriously comfortable bed, linen etc. This has been the best hotel (within this budget range) that I have stayed at in New York. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: catch the breakfast early or you will miss out!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Just stayed at the Element for 9 nights with my girlfriend, it was our first time in NY! In general we felt good about the hotel, but in terms of service it was far from flawless.
Positive: location, room and staff. The hotel is centrally located and the room was comfortable, which made it always a pleasure to return after a long day out in the Big Apple. The room’s size was good enough for the both of us, with free wifi, flat-screen tv, kitchenette, big shower, small sofa and soft bed. The doormen (!), cleaning and technical staff were very friendly and helpful. The evening reception on weekdays with some snacks and drinks was also very much appreciated.
Negative: breakfast (!), mistake in payment and some small annoying issues. Breakfast is served on the ground floor till 9:30 (10:00 during weekends), but often breakfast ran out much earlier, meaning you had to find breakfast elsewhere. When you actually did manage to get some breakfast, there is barely any room to sit down and enjoy it, as the ground floor is not big enough to manage this amount of people. Concerning payment, we booked the hotel through booking.com choosing not to be charged until our stay, but 650 dollars got charged to my credit card long before. Via e-mail, Alexander was incredibly helpful to get back the refund (so thanks Alex!) although it took a while before their accounting department actually made the payment. Some of the other issues: we had some problems with our TV and it took 3 visits by the technical staff (though very friendly and helpful) before the problem was permanently fixed; one morning the phone started to make noise cause the battery was running out (turned out the battery charger wasn’t plugged in); through booking.com we asked to be put on a lower floor, but our room was on the top floor (we did not complain about it as we actually enjoyed the view).
Tip: great and cheap pizza on the corner of 8th avenue and 38th street (less than 1 minute from hotel). Get some slices to your room as a great evening snack.

Room Tip: One of the top floors facing south for the view
1 Thank Wim_Belgium85
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I will start by saying that the hotel is not bad given the low rates that are available. However, as an SPG gold member and as somebody that is a frequent user of hotels belonging to the Starwood chain, I was very disappointed by this one, which in my opinion, does not live up to the name at all!
The room we stayed in was clean and had all the promised features, such as the heavenly bed (which are always extremely comfortable) and the rainforest shower, kitchenette, flatscreen, free internet etc. However, the room was extremely small - the air conditioning unit was right up against the bed on one side making it difficult to get in on that side. Interestingly, there was no real storage space for clothes other than a small hanging wardrobe which came with 9 hangers - no shelves at all, so we essentially had to live out of our suitcases. This is not too much of a problem if you're going for a few days of leisure. If you're there for business or for a longer duration then this would likely prove a problem. Like others that have reviewed here, we also had problems with the hot water and had to take cool showers, which for a hotel is a bit of a disaster! And the lifts take forever at peak times.
These more minor problems aside, the major issue that we had was with the staff at the front desk - not all of them I may add, but a handful of extremely surly and sarcastic women, including the female manager who was unfriendly and unhelpful when we sought her assistance! The check in is 15:00 and no earlier, even for SPG cardholders. After waiting for several hours to get into our rooms, once in, we had to wait over an hour for our bags to come up. After calling down to reception to try and hurry the process, we were effectively told to stop being so impatient. When we finally did get our bags, the shower was freezing. We spoke to the manager who then disappeared to talk to somebody about our problem and never came back to tell us what had happened or that it was fixed! Unfriendly, unhelpful and incompetent reception staff are something that the hotel needs to do something about (for the record, the rest of the hotel staff, the doormen, the housekeeping staff etc were all delightful!)
On the upside, breakfast is good - although make sure you get there early or you will find slim pickings! Roof terrace is a nice touch.
In summary, not all bad, but if you go expecting Starwood quality and service then you will probably be disappointed.

2 Thank Willerin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2011

The Element New York Times Square is in a great location for visiting NYC. If you are wanting to stay right in town being only 2 blocks from where it all happens including metro, bus/train, restaurants, broadway, comedy and good restaurants, this is the best place to be.

The hotel is clean and well designed. Our room was super comfortable with a great power shower and huge bed. (very important after long days walking about and when you are 6 foot 4!). We had a large king which included a sofa, working desk, mini kitchen with coffee machine, flat tv and bathroom. The room was ample sized.

The hotel also had a business centre and a gym. If you do go, don't forget to visit the observation deck on the 40th floor for great views of the city.

The best part of the hotel were the staff especially the doorman Tim who was very helpful, friendly and good humoured.

Dallas, Texas, USA
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Based on all the previous reviews from other people I would say I probably experienced everything that was mentioned. The hotel is nice, rooms are a decent size, the shower/bathroom is modern and it's nice having a kitchenette (which I didn't use). The floors are cool as they look like wood but they're really porcelain tiles. It's nice having breakfast served every morning and free internet.
Now for the problems. The hot water wasn't working. I had to take lukewarm showers 2 out of 3 days. I complained about the hote water not working on day 2 but nothing was done. On day 3 I complained again and the front desk called me back saying that the engineer was resetting the boiler and to wait 15 mins. Well the resetting of the boiler worked, but not sure why this wasn't known to be a problem prior to several complaints.
The elevators can be crowded. There are actually 3 elevators, not 2 as I read in another review. For the most part I didn't have to wait long but one day I waited over 5 mins for an elevator only to find it jam packed with people.
Now for breakfast it's complete anarchy. Imagine everyone coming for breakfast at the same time with food spread out over several serving areas. Seating areas were also spread out and sometimes it was difficult to find a place to eat so you were forced to eat at the counter where the food was being served. Coffee ran out, fresh fruit ran out, toaster was broken and everthing was disorganized. It actually made me uncomfortable with all the pushing and shoving of people getting from point A to B to C to get various food items and then trying to find a place to eat. Serving food in the lobby just isn't classy.
I don't want to be all negative and this is a good hotel and I'm sure depending on the rate it could be a good bargain. As long as you go into the hotel knowing or the shortcomings you won't be suprised. From the look and feel of the hotel along with the friendliness of the staff I would give it 4 stars but because of the chaos of breakfast, elevator problems and lack of hot water I lowered it to a 3.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
USA
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Spent a long weekend at this hotel in January, and got an amazing rate ($119 incl breakfast for a studio suite) through the Starwood website. At that price point, the hotel was simply fabulous! Yes, the elevators are small and crowded, and you often had to wait for them to fill the coffee pots at breakfast, and the service was not so polished, but the staff was certainly friendly, and the room was very nice - reminded me an upscale dorm room, but having the kitchenette was very nice. Checked the rates again for a trip in April, and the rates were up to $400 - at that price I would be very unhappy with this hotel, and booked a Kimpton property instead. So if you can get a great rate, don't be afraid to book; it is a very nice 3 star hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Vnyrdr
New York, NY
Reviewed 24 March 2011

The element was a good hotel. The pros of it were: loved the room. We were on the 22nd floor facing the street so it was away from any noise. The bed was comfy, the sitting area was great, and we took advantage of the free internet. The kitchenette with the fridge, microwave and sink was great. We stayed for 9 nights and that definitely helped when we had leftovers or wanted some cold drinks. The bathroom was big and had a nice sink, and a big shower. The area behind the elevators was very plush and beautiful, as was the rooftop terrace. It was also convenient that there were computers and a printer in the lounge area. The bellmen and the staff are friendly. The free breakfast was a plus too - although one saturday, my bf went down to get breakfast and he got the last bit of food. The kitchen did not bring out any more food and a lot of people were angry.
Now for the cons: housekeeping wasn't great at all. In all the days that we stayed there, I never knew whether my room would be cleaned when I got back to my room. One time we asked for our room to be cleaned, and I have to admit, it was late when we asked them. My bf took a red eye so he slept most of the day and we finally left our room at 5pm and we asked for service. We were promised service by the front desk but did not receive it when we got back later on. I thought that was forgiveable because we had asked them so late and perhaps the staff had left for the day. But other times our room was clean but not cleaned thoroughly. I have stayed at many hotels where the room was always spotless when we came back but I didn't feel like that was the case here.
Then one night, I got back to the hotel and our room was HALFWAY done. The bathroom was clean but the bed was halfway made. One comforter was on the sofa and the other sheets were halfway tucked in. It's almost like they left in the middle of cleaning it! We made a call to the front desk and our bed was made the next day, but as I mentioned, our room did not feel very clean. One time I had very little toilet paper left and thought they would leave another roll under the sink for me, but they did not. My bf had to go downstairs to get some more.
Also, on the weekends the elevator is extremely crowded. I work in a NYC building nearby with 30 floors and we have 16 elevators and two sets of elevator banks. This hotel only has 3 elevators for 40 floors! I do agree with what others said about the cleaning staff having their own elevator so guests are not rubbing against dirty mops, etc.

All in all, I would give a five for the stay, but housekeeping brought down my rating by a couple of stars.
I would recommend staying here for the nice room and the convenience to Times Square but be warned about the subpar housekeeping.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple