“Pretty decent, overall......”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco
“Pretty decent, overall......”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I grew up in NYC, & now live in San Francisco. This was my partner's first time visiting New York, & I wanted a place to stay that put us in "the heart of it all" & would be a convenient base for us. I have to say the Element surpassed our expectations in a number of ways. First, the Element is TRULY pet-friendly! In Manhattan, this is QUITE a rarity! Most hotels charge an arm and a leg for pets, & treat the owners as if they are committing a crime by bringing their pets on vacation with them. NOT the Element! Truly pet friendly, staff was nice towards our dogs, the dogs were permitted up on the roof deck, and in general, they were treated well. Overall, Element also earned exceptional marks from us in regards to the happy hour and expansive breakfast offerings, not many places in NYC do that without adding charges, and we were EXTREMELY impressed by that. The elevator wait times that everyone is complaining about are somewhat true, but I solved that dilemma the second day I was there. If you press both the up and down buttons at the SAME time, you will get an elevator faster. Law of averages. Downsides: not many actually. I did get a little tired of dodging Europeans at breakfast by the third or fourth day, but being a native New Yorker, I guess was used to it. Our room on the 36th floor had a BREATHTAKING view of the Empire State building, and all the staff were very friendly and gracious. We had an amazing stay, and we WILL be back and we WILL stay at the Element. You have earned my loyalty as a traveler. Not easy to do. This review is re-edited because my original review was cut off and I wanted to express in full just how nice and pleasant we found our stay here. Definitely NOT just another chain hotel! Thank you.

Room Tip: Anything on the upper floors, we were on the 36th floor. FABULOUS VIEWS! Our room was facing southwe...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank benbear2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Matamata, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Nice hotel and value for money. It was a good location close to Times square. The breakfast was adequate for our needs. The staff were very helpful. The room was very clean and had a great bed and shower.

Tewksbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I'll start off with the good points. Great location. Our front desk Rep, Marquise Campell was awesome, he was friendly and most of all helpful. He is the one that recommended to us Tony's DiNapoli (which you have to go if staying in the city). The wait service were extremely friendly and helpful.
The bad point: The decription online for the room was not close to being what was said. The room was much smaller than the picture. The bed and pillows were terrible. My 14 year daughter slept in the chair she said it was more comfortable. The elevator took forever (and I do mean forever). One time we timed it and it took us 15 minutes to get to the ground floor from the 14th floor - unexceptable for the price we paid for 3 night stay. We walked down 14 floors on more than one occasion, which was not easy. The parking discount was nothing to brag about either.
Next time we come into New York City we are not even going to look at this hotel. Hopefully for the price we paid we can find something better and worth it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Judy R
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Judy R,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Creating a memorable experience through great service is something our team strives to provide our guests, and we are very happy to hear you had just that. We will celebrate Marquise on his outstanding service to you and your family. We are very sorry our guest rooms fell short on your expectations and apologize for the inconveniences caused by our elevators. We’re glad you enjoyed our great location in Times Square, and hope the rest of your trip to NYC was a good one. All the best.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I've stayed at this property several times, so I was surprised by my stay last weekend. This is a newer concept and property and I really liked it on previous visits. I've recommended it to many colleagues and business associates. I am sad that I can no longer do so.

In brief, the elevator wait times are well documented and if you are on a higher floor, very annoying. Yes you can use the stairs but that is difficult (and I'm in athletic shape) if you're lugging a bag, dressed up (especially in summer) etc etc etc You have to share the elevators with the hotel staff (at one point there was an elevator full of trash bags during the peak of the afternoon when lots of people were checking in, with luggage in hand.) The elevators are tiny and yes, you can make due, but why should you? My time is important. I don't expect lightning service but waiting 5-15 minutes for an elevator is unacceptable.

The finishes in the hotel, again it's not that old, are dinged, scratched, or falling apart. I took pictures in the 2 rooms in which I stayed. The desk almost looked like an animal had been gnawing on it but it was clearly from being bumped.

While there, this eco-friendly hotel, which they champion at every point, showed how eco-unfriendly it is. The nice thing is that the kitchenette comes with actual glassware. I used a wine glass for water and left it in the sink for housekeeping. Upon my return from a day out in the city I noticed the floor was all wet, and the water was soaked up into the carpet. They had used the in-room dishwasher to wash 1 glass and the dishwasher leaked everywhere. Really? One glass in a dishwasher in an eco-hotel? Add to that they were even using the heated drying feature, another energy waste. I called down to the front desk, waited 45 minutes for a response and finally walked down 16 flights of stairs to show the my pictures.

The good news is that I was switched to a new room without a problem. However, when we left for dinner later that evening, the agent was only then calling for maintenance to head to my old room. The following day when we were checking out, the building engineer got on our elevator, with a wet vac, on our old floor. When I asked him he said he'd just come from room 1605, our old room. So they waited at least 10-12 hours to clean up the water,that had soaked the carpet. Of course I have pictures of all of this,

You can see the wear and tear all over the hotel. It's a real shame because the location is GREAT but it no longer overrides all the flaws. There are many hotels with similar price points and locations (including the Four Points owned by the same franchisee) that are now preferable.

A real shame. At best, even if many issues were addressed, the elevator problem will still remain. No longer recommending this property.

Room Tip: Low floor if you need to take the stairs as an option but lower floors can be noisier so it's a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank thetravelbeagle
Dear TravelBeagle,
Thank you for being a loyal guest of ours and taking the time to share your experience with us. We are deeply sorry for the inconveniences you experienced in your guest room, but we are very glad we were able to move you to another room for a more comfortable stay. We take our guests’ reviews very seriously, and we appreciate you sharing this feedback with us as an area to improve our hotel. We hope you will give us another chance in the future to prove that this is not the norm. All the best.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The good...the hotel is a great location, close to timesquare. Rooms are generally reasonable size, clean, fairly modern. It's a very green hotel which is nice. The cleaning and support staff are incredibly friendly and nice. Very pleasant.

The poor. The front desk staff were less than to be desired (more below). Did there job, but just didn't seem to come across as friendly as the other staff.

The BAD. Our room had numerous non-stop issues. The card reader didn't work properly, so they told us to just 'bend' the card so it could read better. This is not a cheap hotel, I shouldn't have to 'bend' the card to get the reader to work. The bathroom door was misaligned. As in IT WOULDN"T CLOSE without having to slam it shut. It was off by at least 1/8th of an inch.
Our air conditioning unit froze up and leaked water all over the floor. I think the mtc crew spend more time in our room than we did.

So what's next you ask........we got a call and were asked to stop showering because our shower was leaking through to the room below us. They then wanted to send the mtc folks back up in our room so they could fix it.

So when we get back, my wife wanted to shower (since she couldn't before) and now the drain was plugged and flooded the bathroom floor. Incredible!

This hotel is overpriced for the poor mtc. This was our honeymoon and I think the mtc folks had more room time than we did. I would recommend staying clear of this hotel at all costs. Considering the price of the rooms they issues are unacceptable. You can get similar priced hotels in the same area, that I am sure would not present the problems this hotel has.
And the 3 elevators for the 40 floors never work properly. Usually 1 is out of service and they seem to randomly skip floors. We walked down 3-4 times, instead of waiting 15-20 mins for the elevator to actually stop.

Oh, and when we mentioned the problems to the front desk staffed, they insinuated it was our fault for not advising them of the issues earlier (we did) I'm sure they must have thorough inspections when they can't tell that a bathroom door will not even shut.
Steer clear of this lemon of a hotel.

Room Tip: If you stay here (DON"T) then get a room close to the main floor as possible. Expect to walk do...
1 Thank J_S_Canada2014
Dear J_S_Canada2014,
First, congratulations on your wedding and we are happy you chose to spend your honeymoon with us. We are very sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay. We strive to create a relaxing and accommodating environment for each guest and so we apologize that was not your experience. We’re pleased that you enjoyed the hotel’s great location and hope that you will return again to allow us to win your loyalty. All the best.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here for 7 nights in May, having never been to New York before but told that rooms are quite small for your money, we booked a slightly larger room. On arrival we were directed to a small room with a view of old buildings and a car park and certainly not the size I ws sure I ahd booked and paid for in advance. On phoning to reception and advising that I didnt think it was the correct room, I was told I was correct and asked to go down and get another key.( I wondered if I had not done my thorough research before booking and paying and knew what to expect would they have realised and let us know? I doubt it) I know this probably was a quicker option for them but after travelling nonstop for 24 hours this was not the service I hoped for, however we got another key and moved rooms to a slightly larger room with a view. I had researched this hotel and had noted issues with the lift and breakfast which I am sad to say is absolutely true. Location was reasonable but overall given the length of our stay I would probably go to a different hotel if I was staying the same length of time again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Element New York Times Square West, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Debra E,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are very sorry you were not satisfied with your visit and were disappointed by your guest room’s size, elevators, and complimentary breakfast. It’s our goal to deliver an outstanding guest experience, and we apologize we fell short on this during your stay. Thank you for your feedback, and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip to New York City. Take care.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is well located - easy walk to Times Square and the Metro is real close. The staff are very helpful. It has a decent sized gym and a laundry which was handy. The rooms are comfortable with everything you need - including free wifi. We were on the 32nd floor and we had a good view and very little road noise. You may have to wait for a little while for the lifts at breakfast time but it's not a major. Handy to have breakfast available at the hotel - it wasn't five star but it was sufficient and the food was always replenished when it ran out. Drinks and nibbles on weekday evenings was a nice touch.

Room Tip: NB no swimming pool but does have a gym. Request a room on a high floor with a street view. We had...
1 Thank Maryanne W