“GOOD ROOM, GREAT LOCATION, AMAZING STAFF”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #358 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Woodbury, Minnesota
“GOOD ROOM, GREAT LOCATION, AMAZING STAFF”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

DATES/NIGHTS: 01/11 – 04/11 – 54 nights

OVERALL: A great location right in the middle of the Financial District in lower Manhattan. The hotel was almost brand new when I stayed there and was in pristine condition. Overall I would give this hotel the highest ranking possible, however, if you have never stayed in New York City hotel before there are a few things that are “unique” to the experience. And I am not mentioning these things as a way of complaining, but mentioning them because they actually add to the ambiance of the hotel. First, there are only 3 elevators and 44 floors. So if you’re on a high floor make sure you leave a few minutes early because it will take you awhile to get to the lobby, and it’s even busier on the weekends. And on each floor the hallways are very narrow so if you are traveling with equipment for work or large luggage it will be tricky navigating to your room. There is one restaurant on site, 8 Stone, which I only ate at once because it was slightly expensive and I get a daily per Diem for food. But the meal I had there was amazing and was completely worth the price so if you’re not concerned about price you will find some delicious options here.

STAFF: Before I arrived at the hotel I called ahead and asked if there was a mini-fridge in the room because I needed one as I travel with medication. I spoke to Michele who works the front desk and she said that none of the rooms have one but she would see what she could do for me. In no time I received an email confirmation that they did not have any on site but they would have another Hilton hotel send one over for me specifically. I have never had a Hilton staff member do something like that for me before. And on my second 9 night stay she upgraded me to one of the suites even though they only have 5 of them for no reason other then to be nice. But the most amazing thing that the front desk staff did for me for offer me a special unpublished rate which was considerably lower then when they could have gotten for the room. And by doing this I was able to stay in Manhattan for my entire time there and did not have to move over to a cheaper hotel in Brooklyn.

With all honestly I can say that, as a whole, the staff at this Doubletree was the best I have ever come across. And I spend over 200 nights a year in Hiltons all across the country. With staying there as long as I did I eventually had everyone from the security officers and bell hops at the front door, to the maintenance staff, to the servers and manager in 8 Stone, to the general manager addressing me personally every single time I they saw me.

I was always treated with the upmost respect and professionalism by 99% of the hotel staff. Unfortunately that does leave 1% of the staff, and that 1% is the front desk manager, Elvi. Of all the Hiltons I have stayed at and of all the employees I have come to know I have NEVER been treated as poorly as I was by Elvi. But Michael, the General Manager of the hotel, personally handled the situation to my full and complete satisfaction, so all I will say about that is try to avoid Elvi. But if you do need anything at all from the front desk make sure you find Michelle or Michael and you won’t ever be disappointed. And if you need anything from the restaurant make sure you find Joshua, the finest manager in all of New York City.

ROOMS: The rooms are all standard and there are only a few suites. The rooms are very nicely decorated and the beds, pillows, and blankets are extremely comfortable. But the rooms are also pretty small and the bathroom and shower are really cramped. The suites are slightly larger and have a “living room” area with a couch and second flat screen TV. But for New York City the rooms are on par with what you’d expect to find so it’s not a big deal if you keep that in mind. Your best bet is to get a high floor and try to get an “08” room because they are shaped in a way where you get a little more space by the door and these are the biggest non-suite rooms they have. Also, the higher you get the less street noise you’ll hear. Another nice little extra is that the window actually opens so you can let in fresh air as well as the sounds of the city if you want them. And two other small little things that frequent travelers will appreciate is that the hotel offers a large amount of TV channels and multiple HBOs and the best part is that the TV actually has a guide that you can bring up and scroll through to find what you want to watch and not waste an hour surfing every channel looking for something to watch. And finally, keep in mind that unlike most Doubletree Hotels there are no mini-fridges or microwaves standard in the rooms. But I was told that the hotel does now keep a few on hand in case someone requests one… so you can thank me for that later!

AREA: What else can you say but WOW! Walk out the front door and you’ll be in front of the NY Stock Exchange, or the Wall Street Charging Bull, or Battery Park, or the Staten Island Ferry in 3-4 minutes at the most. You’re also less then 10 minutes away from the World Trade Center site and the South Street Seaport. There are two subway lines nearby, one on the corner and one over in Battery Park that will get you anywhere in the city you need to go. You can be in Times Square in 12 minutes flat. The only negatives are the Pubs near Wall Street are very popular and thus, very busy and very expensive. There aren’t a lot of quality reasonably priced places to eat beyond these within walking distance. So your best bet is to get an unlimited subway card and head north. But the one Saving Grace is that Lombardi’s actually delivers to the hotel and it gets there super fast and super hot and fresh, but they only take cash.

ELITE BENEFITS: The biggest benefit is the free breakfast buffet down in 8 Stone for elite members. The buffet isn’t bad but it also isn’t amazing. They offer fresh fruit, eggs, pancakes, meats, breads, and cereals. It’s great for shorter stays but when you’re there for 9 straight mornings at a time and over 50 mornings in all anything would start to get boring. Juice is free but soda is not and neither are the refills. You’ll also get free wireless in your room which always worked well for me.

WOULD I STAY AGAIN OR RECOMMEND: 100% YES! You will find that for its location this is going to be one of the most affordable brand names in New York City. The staff is AMAZING and the hotel is beautiful. But the hotel is designed for short stays and not extended ones but they will do their best to accommodate and cater to you no matter what.

Room Tip: High Floor, Ask for an
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank MNChurch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 June 2011

This is my regular hotel when I travel to NY, which is probably 3 times per month. It is very close to our office on Water St, and that makes it really appealing. Additionally, we have great rates which helps keep costs down.

The hotel is new and built in the past year. There is a decent restaurant downstairs and room service is good. The lobby is on the second floor so you have to take an elevator to get there. Check-in is always fast and they give you an excellent warm cookie! There are three elevators and they can be very slow. I have waited 2-3 minutes sometimes for one to come.

The rooms are small but efficient. I am always alone, so it's not an issue. With two people and multiple bags, this could get very tight quickly. The bathrooms too are small with limited shelf space. The shower seems small too, but they have good water pressure and a large shower head. The air conditioner in the room is loud and not always easy to regulate. It can wake you up on occasion because it's so loud. Great TV and channel selection. There is a coffee pot in room and efficient room service. Internet is available for a fee, unless you have status and then it's free.

As a business traveler, this is a good hotel and close to work. I would recommend it for this purpose. I would offer 3.5 stars if they let me.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower level room due to slow elevators
ottawa
Reviewed 21 June 2011

This is our first time in NYC and this hotel has really made our first visit a pleasant one! The rooms are clean, and modern. There are three elevators, but i really dont find too long a wait for the elevators. Certainly we have never waited more than five mins, which we find very acceptable. Usually though its about a 2-3 min wait. The staff is great, they are very very friendly. We took the breakfast package and it is of very good value...if we come back we would do the same. Close proximity to the subways. We are here on business, so this hotel is perfect location...if we were to come back i may consider the other end, or just come right back to this hotel :)

1 Thank mrsbeasely
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Great experience at this hotel. Front desk staff very friendly and check in process painless.

Small number of rooms per floor make it relatively quiet, as does the location (on Stone Street, not far from Wall Street but very little traffic through the night). Other hotels in the Financial District (Millenium Hilton, Marriott, etc) tend to be noisy due to ongoing construction at World Trade Center site. Am sensitive to noise and this hotel was very quiet.

Room itself small, but not any smaller than usual New York rooms. Nice bathrooms with high end fixtures (also I noted an exhaust vent - unusual for a hotel but helpful to get the steam out!), bed was very comfortable. TV had a surprising number of HD channels. Air conditioning system was very noisy to start up (to the point I ended up turning it off as it was cycling on and off all night, waking me up each time).

Disappointing that Hilton has chosen not to extend the usual "free wi-fi" courtesy that is normally found in the Doubletree family. While the business lounge offers free access, it would have been much more convenient had it been included in the room rate.

The main reason this hotel only gets a 4 star is the terrible elevator service. It doesn't look it from the outside, but this is a 40+ story building, served by 3 elevators. I ended up taking the stairs a few times as got impatient with the elevator.

Would certainly stay here again and recommend it to my colleagues.

Rexford, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is a great spot in the financial district. Very convenient to subways, battery park, stock exchange, restaurants, bars, etc. The place is still like new. The rooms are all a good size and have everything you need.

I've stayed here about half a dozen times now and really haven't been disappointed. Very clean. Reasonable space. Many rooms have great views (higher floors). The food is good and all the staff are really great.

My only issue with this place is the elevators. You can easily spend 5-15 minutes, depending on the time of day, waiting for an elevator. So you need some patience.

Great spot for business travelers who need to be near Wall St. Also, great for tourists who want to be away from mid-town activity but close to all subways and lots of great historical sights.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
ROAMING SHORES
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights. Very nice stay. Clean room... nice staff.. cozy beds. All of the important things! :) It is very close to the subway and not a bad walk to world trade center. We will definately come back! Kids loved the cookies at checkin. We did not go to the restaurant. There is a italian restaurant across the street Ancora... it was soooo good.... pricey but excellent.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebecca E
Waltham abbey
Reviewed 9 June 2011

stayed here for our first trip to NY, compared to the other hotels within NY, very reasonably priced. Stay very friendly. Room very clean and snug! But everything you need as didnt spend much time back at the room. Few mins walk from bronze raging bull, Battery park, which is where the boats leave for Liberty and Ellis Island trips. Hotel also near the
metro. Near to Wall street (which has a tiffany's half way along) and Trinity Church. Only a 10 min walk from World trade centre site. Great american breakfast in georges, which is rector/greenwich street. Yummy. Loads of starbucks so if your a coffee addict, then yr in heaven. Would stay again at the hotel. When you check in you get a free warm cookie which was lovely.

• Stayed May 2011