DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #367 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Beautiful hotel in the financial district. The price was very reasonable, particularly since I was staying over a weekend rather than during the week. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and good. Easily reached by foot or using public transportation. Was upgraded to a room with a gorgeous river view. The room size is about average for NYC hotels -- small but well-appointed; same for the bathroom. The lounge area near the front desk was very comfortable and generally quiet/calm once the morning rush had passed, and the small business center functioned well.

My only complaint is about the noise my neighbors made: they propped their door open to make entry by other members of their group simple, and seemed to forget that not everyone on the floor was interested in their plans or opinions.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank jmcbalt

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We had a very nice stay at the Doubletree in the financial district. We got this reservation through Priceline at a great price, but after my reservation was confirmed, I called to ensure we could get a double bed...that is when they told me I would have to pay $60 more to have a double room since apparently Priceline doesn't guarantee that. That was a bummer, but there was nothing we could do about it. Just keep that in mind if you use Priceline for NYC hotels (this has happened before to us but only in NYC).

Upon arriving, we found a parking garage right across the street from the hotel that was about $15 cheaper than valeting so we were happy about that. The lobby is really nice with lots of plush couches. At check-in, they gave each us a warm cookie which was SO good. Such a nice welcoming gift :) We got a room on the 43rd floor which had a great view of the new tower being built near Ground Zero. We were really pleased with that as we got some great photos. The room wasn't very big but it had everything needed plus was very clean. The bathroom was very nice, but small as well (to be expected in NYC). The financial district is very quiet during the weekends which was nice. We felt safe and got a good nights sleep on the comfy beds. One other thing to mention is that the hallways are very very narrows so it's almost impossible to pass someone if you are coming through with luggage. It can be very uncomfortable. Other than that (and the extra price we had to pay), we had a great experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dapfunk187
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel on the Presidents Day holiday weekend, just for one night, and found it to be the best hotel I have stayed in in the NYC area so far!

The hotel is in the Financial District, so is away from the hustle and bustle of Midtown. On the weekend this area was very quiet. The hotel is in a great spot, with the red and yellow subway lines just 2 or 3 minutes walk, and the green line not much further. It is also 5 minutes walk from the Staten Island Ferry, and just across the road from Battery Park. I used my position at this hotel to walk around some areas of NYC I hadn't explored before. The museum of Jewish History is a 10 minute walk, and the World Trade Centre Memorial maybe 15-20 minute walk.

The hotel itself is nothing much to look at from the outside, but inside I found it to be clean, and very nice overall. The check-in desks are on the 2nd floor, which is kind of a pain, because you have to catch the elevator 1 floor up and then get off, and then get the elevator again to your room.

All staff I encountered were very friendly - the girl who checked me in was especially friendly. On the weekends they give out warm chocolate chip cookies on check-in which was nice, and they gave us an extra one when we came back in at midnight when we asked for one! They were really yummy!

Our room was on the 6th floor. We didn't have a view of anything other than the building behind us, but for the price we paid ($115 for one night, including taxes) I wasn't really looking for a view - just a clean place to stay.

The room was small, but for NYC standards it was average sized, I'd stay. The king bed was AMAZINGLY comfortable, and they provided 5 pillows of differing firmness which I liked. Bathroom was clean and modern. Other people have complained of it being too small, but I'm not sure what they want to do in their other than shower! It was perfectly fine, however we had to call down to reception for a box of Kleenex as they did not have any in the bathroom.

We didn't eat at the hotel as it was rather expensive. There is an Au Bon Pain 2 minutes walk, and also a Duane Reed around the corner.

The only thing that blemished our stay at this hotel was that the housekeeping staff were very loud, and barged into our room not once, but 5 times between 9am (when they woke us) and 11:30am (check out was noon). I thought after the first time they would leave us alone, but they kept coming back. It turned out that our "do not disturb" sign has fallen onto the floor, but as well as the constant barging into our room, they also yelled loudly in the hallways outside our door, and constantly slammed the doors of the rooms they were cleaning. I found this to be rude and wasn't very pleased with it on a Sunday morning when I wanted to be able to sleep in a little.

Overall it was a great trip, a great hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank madsin
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed here for my husband's birthday weekend last year. The hotel is very nice, clean and even though it is in the financial district, it is still close to great restaurants like Delmonico's and great pizza places. We had a blast and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Best not to get a room facing the river-we got a lot of wind.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank goodegg5
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I got this hotel at an excellent Name-Your-Own-Price on Priceline. Typically, I would not stay in the Financial District when visiting NYC, as it is a bit out of the way of where I usually like to spend time and work while in town. BUT, I am glad I did! This is by far the nicest hotel I have stayed at in NYC. I have used the Hampton Inn and others there, but the Doubletree had very clean, modern and newly-renovated, comfortable rooms with very plush beds and modern features in the bathrooms and bedroom area. The staff were all very nice and very helpful. For those in other reviews that have said the rooms are small, I beg to differ. The rooms are of comparable size for NYC, where rooms are always small. Others also complained about the elevators being slow, but I had no issue whatsoever. And even though it is in Lower Manhattan and a bit off the beaten path, it is very convenient to the R or 1 lines of the subway, and just a few extra minutes on the subway and you can be wherever you need to be in the City. For the price and the quality of this hotel, it was definitely worth it!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank andtherest
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed here for a week in December and found the hotel to have everything you would need. The rooms and particularly the bed was extremely comfortable, however the bathroom is small. The staff were responsive and attentive and did all they could to make the stay pleasant. It should however be noted at peak times ie morning and early evening the lifts are a challenge as there are not enough for the number of rooms so there can be lengthy wait times. There is a gym however this is small and again not catering to the number of rooms, and twice I went there and every piece of equipment was in use.
The Hilton rewards points are a plus, and it is in a quiet location, so you do not get the normal noise you would get in NY. When you check in ask for a river view high floored room as the view is AMAZING!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room with a view - at check in if they are not booked out they should be able t...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank riocobb
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Stayed for one night on the weekend, stayed in the finance district to avoid the noise of tourists. It's very good value, everything is a subway ride away with the R train just steps away from the front door and the 4&5 around 1 block. Plenty of places to go out for a relaxing night nearby at the seaport.

Rooms are cozy but spotless. Bathrooms are well updated and equipped minus a hair dryer though.

Plenty of TV channels like some 100+ available.

The 3 elevators were OK at best, at 44 floors it can build up at the bottom and since the lobby is on the 2nd floor you have to wait twice to go down.

WiFi is free only in the lobby, $10 charge in the room.

Breakfast package is available but is $30 extra, and the a la carte menu is quite pricey, $12 for cereal?

There is Duane Reed 100 yards away with beer, much better value than the hotel bar.

Overall the hotel was clean and good value, but when you add things it does get pricey quick.

• Stayed: February 2012