“Fine hotel stay, but not necesarily designed for leisure travelers”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #363 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel after winning it on Priceline for what I thought was an extremely reasonable price for a last minute weekend in July. I think there might be better options if a traveler took the time and energy to look for a better deal, but I didn't really have any complaints about my experience. I would not make the effort to stay there again, but if I did Priceline and it popped up, I wouldn't complain.

Without further adieu...

Positives:
- The staff was lovely. The lobby is actually on the second floor, and while I had very limited interactions with them (during check-in and checkout, mostly), they were lovely - I even got a couple of Doubletree cookies for my bus ride home upon checkout. The staff at the front door was always friendly and helpful if I had any questions about the area.
- The room was a reasonable size, especially for New York - king size bed, a nice chair, reasonably sized desk, etc. I thought it was clean, comfortable and did not show significant wear and tear.
- I will always point this out as a positive (even though I expect it), because the opposite frustrates me, but the flat-screen TV actually had full-HD service (and movie channels to boot). While I didn't spend much time in the room, it's nice to be able to catch a game and not feel like it was 1993-quality on a lovely TV. The hotel Wi-Fi was actually reasonable as well, and I was able to use the full internet rather than just basic functions like email, etc., without any trouble.

Negatives:
- Though the room itself was nice, the bathroom was very small. It only had a stand-up shower, and the door to the bathroom and the door to the shower could not be opened at the same time, so keep that in mind if you're more than just a solo traveler and people may need to use the bathroom.
- Unless you are traveling specifically for the Financial District area, the location is going to be a negative for many. Many restaurants and stores close early (or even closed entirely on weekends), rather than the "Never Sleeps" approach of the rest of the city. For example, there is a great pizza place across from the hotel - that was closed on the weekend during my trip. There is a decent amount of subway access, but you are in neither Midtown nor Brooklyn, and on weekends, they were repairing lines so certain stations were closed or had limited service. I never felt unsafe, but it feels far more deserted than many parts of New York once all of the tourist attractions have closed, so be wary of that as well.
- The elevators in the hotel were relatively slow and cramped, which can be a problem if you have a lot of luggage or are trying to get somewhere in a hurry.

As I said, this hotel wasn't designed to meet my needs - leisure traveler on the weekend with activities spread out all over both Manhattan and Brooklyn, but I went into it with the correct expectations and wasn't disappointed. For a business traveler, it's a pretty easy recommendation due simply to the service. For leisure, be cognizant of the location issues and you should be fine.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor away from street and construction noise
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JF1414
Write a ReviewReviews (2,577)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

great check in, good room but room service was not good even though food was good. Orders were not complete and hotel did not have food that was published on the menu. Did not order late, tried to order pork chops around 6pm and they did not have it available. Bread pudding was never available but on room service menu?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Well we ended up at this hotel randomly assigned by Priceline, after horrifying experience at another, so it seemed like a palace after the other hotel... But having said this, the hotel is most certainly not four star. Rooms are cramped and tiny, even by NYC standards, but are clean and bedding is quite comfortable. Very basic however, with no special amenities.
Staff are extremely helpful and friendly, esp. the front door bellmen. Perhaps one of the stars in this rating is for the kind staff.
Location is one I always regret, too far from everything. Hard to get cabs, not my favorite subway connection, not an enjoyable area to take a walk in, especially after hours.

But the worst part of it all was the elevator fiasco. Even up to 15 min waits, with one or other of the elevators breaking down on any given day, and every elevator jammed full even after these crazy waits... Very frustrating. Elevator situation truly abysmal.

I would not stay here again by choice for a variety of reasons, but if I did not have a choice, it would do. Expect 2.5 to 3 star and you won't be as disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Matars_Z
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The hotel itself is in a great location, and the view from my room was breathtaking. But there were a few minor issues that will give me pause the next time I visit the area.

Positives: Great views, clean rooms, good decor.

As for the issues I experienced, I somehow was charged twice for internet service, the toiletries - lotion and shampoo specifically - were already opened and apparently used by the previous guest, and the toilet was not attached to the floor very well. Also and when I called today to request copy of my final bill for my company's expense report, I was transferred to the billing department who failed to answer and neglected to respond to my voicemail after 3 hours; I'm still waiting for a callback. Finally, I had breakfast in the ground-level restaurant and was disappointed when I had to ask twice to have coffee refilled and then had to flag down the manager to get the check.

Again, these are all minor complaints. Hopefully it's just a series of flukes, but nearly all were preventable. I'll be travelling to this area more frequently now for work and I have to admit that I'll think twice about staying here. This isn't what I come to expect from Doubletree.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JMichaelz02
Reviewed 18 November 2013

From Gerald at the front desk who was so thoughtful at checkin, Luis, the maintenance man who came to fix our tv and then stood with my wife while I found a better parking spot on the street to the night time house man, who brought us our refrigerator but whose name escapes me. All were so helpful, thoughtful and professional. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.
The one knock against the hotel is the breakfast buffet for gold/diamond Hilton members. Those employees just weren't up to the task of having food in the buffet. And really almost gave an attitude when asked for coffee, water, brown sugar, potatoes, eggs to be put out.
I thought the elevators were just fine, btw.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed here last night with my sister and her husband. It was dirty and breaking down. I do a lot of hotel booking for my job and I always expect a four star hotel to be clean and functioning...at the least.

When we tried to check in the whole system was down. We waited for a long time eventually leaving so we wouldn't miss our ferry. When we got back that night the front desk representative seemed rude and extremely confused. We tried to purchase some water before heading up but now THAT system was down! When we got to our room the brochures and menu were covered in old food. DISGUSTING! Then the toilet wouldn't flush unless you pressed the button multiple times. The shower tiles were dirty with soap scum. While you were taking a shower the temperature would change, drastically, if the room beside us was flushing the toilet. (That shouldn't happen at a four star hotel!) We were pretty tired so we decided to just get in bed and ignore everything so far. Come to find out the tv is broken and we had to call up a tech! THEN when we pulled the covers over we found out both beds has NASTY stains all over the comforter. The stains looked like dried blood! Gross. I might have well stayed at a motel 6!

When I told the front desk manager that morning he did nothing. Just jotted some notes and said they'd bring it up with the housekeeping manager. Very disappointed. That doesn't make my stay any less unpleasant.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank AubreyIKit
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The customer service at this hotel was excellent, however it was always a drag to have to wait up to 5 mins at times just to get an elevator. The location of the hotel was good for my one day trip into NYC, while I enjoyed being placed on one of the high honors floors with an excellent view of Freedom Tower, I begin to regret the honor of being a Hilton Diamond when I had to wait almost 5 min for the elevator on more than one occasion. And while I have stayed in my fair share of NYC "boutiquish" hotels, the rooms in this hotel made me a little claustrophobic.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family