“Good place to stay in NYC”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District
Ranked #356 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Good place to stay in NYC”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed here over Christmas for a couple of nights because they offered a great rate (I guess people don't want to stay in FiDi for the holidays). I had a longish wait to check in because (they said) the computer had crashed and needed to be rebooted. One of the receptionists was open and was telling everyone in line ahead of me that they were being located to another hotel in another neighborhood due to "plumbing problems". Eek. I got lucky somehow, and when it was my turn I was able to check into a room (which had no plumbing problems).

The room itself was fine... for the most part the hotel is very comfortable. They gave me free wifi and it worked very well. The furniture and bed were comfy enough, the bedding seemed very plush. The shower was good but on the small side (maybe 24" wide, a little awkward). People complain about the elevators and there are definitely times when it is slow. But I've never had a really bad wait, probably because I don't use the hotel on business and am not using "rush hour" elevators.

Overall for the price I paid I was quite pleased.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Joshua D, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Sarah,

I am very glad that you were pleased with your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District!

joshua.daly@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The hotel room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The hotel was too far away from my business activities for the weekend. The restaurant had good food. It was cooked to order, so don't be in a rush to eat. The staff were all friendly. A lot of cold air came through the window. It was okay for two nights.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Serenesings,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. I am sorry that we were not more conveniently located to your scheduled affairs. Please, note, that we are conveniently located with blocks of several major subway lines (1,2,3,4,5,J,Z,&R), as well as multiple bus lines (some free) and ferries (also, some free), connecting you virtually to anywhere in New York that you may need to go, and are Concierge Services can also make alternative transportation arrangements, upon request. I hope that you join us again on your next visit to New York and take advantage of these services. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel. It's in a good location, very close to several subway lines which was important. The hotel is quite narrow and the rooms aren't particularly big, but it is NYC so that wasn't a big deal. The elevators are quite slow, so know that going in. You can walk to a few nice restaurants around the corner and there's a Starbuck's at the corner. Unlike other reveiwers, I didn't have any problems with water pressure and I thought the bathrooms were modern.

Room Tip: If you aren't up too high, you can walk the stairs instead of waiting on the elevator
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Tep,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you found our rooms comfortable and our location accommodating to your needs, and a Starbucks nearby (there’s actually three within two blocks of the hotel!). Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!

Kernersville, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The hotel is located at 8 Stone street which is not that hard to find. Google maps took us right to it. Stone street is only one block long so if you are driving in it is not a real problem pulling up to the curb because of the lack of traffic. There is an independent underground parking lot directly across from the front door of the hotel that charges the same rate as the hotel of $35 per day. It opens at 7:30 so if you have a really early departure you will want to use the hotel lot which is located a block or two away. I opted for the hotel valet at $50 per day which came in handy because we departed at 5:30 a.m. We called the front desk and our car was at the curb when we came down. The bell hops are very helpful and friendly. We had a room with two double beds as I stayed with my son. The room was small but came with a desk and closet. There is an iron and ironing board in the closet which is helpful. There is no mini fridge or micro wave but had in room coffee (two cups). The bathroom is also very small with one sink, toilet, and stand up shower. There is limited space to lay out your toiletries. The beds are the best part. Very comfortable which is important to me and they come with four pillows each. The room was clean and the maid service came in every day and did a great job. We could not figure out how to operate the TV so we called the front desk who sent up the engineer (Luis) straight away. He got it working in short order and told us that Time Warner was experiencing some problems in the area. We had no further problems. The restaurant is on the ground floor and we had the breakfast buffet one morning. It was the typical buffet with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, potatoes, cereals, and fruits. The wait staff is not overly friendly. It is convenient to the subway, ground zero, and battery park. There are a lot of different types of restaurants in the neighborhood with a pub right next door. I like the area because it is a lot more quiet than Times Square. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the lower level. The hotel is 44 stories tall with only three elevators. There...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Joshua D, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York City - Financial District, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed description of your time with us. I am pleased that you found our beds so comfortable. Fortunately, anything that you find in a Hilton brand hotel can be purchased online at www.hilton2home.com. I purchased one, myself, and I couldn’t be happier for it – the particular mattress model utilized here at DoubleTree Financial District is Suite Dreams by Serta, in case that information is helpful to you. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Great location for the Financial District. Hotel and room were a bit of a disappointment. Found the room in need of some serious cleaning. Didn’t think that the bed was comfortable. The bathroom needed to be modernized and water pressure addressed. Rooms weren’t well insulated from outside sounds, especially compared to other NYC hotels. Staff was friendly and professional. Has possibilities but needs some upgrades.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ann,

Thank you for taking time the time to write a review. I am very sorry that you found the room standards less than satisfying. If you find the time and would be so kind, you could you please contact me via email and provide me with a bit more information regarding your stay with us(i.e. room number, date of stay, your last name, etc.) so that I may look further into this matter; it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Hotel is clean and comfortable. One-half block from the R train (Whitehall stop - exit the rear of the train). Other subway trains close by. Staff helpful and friendly. My main gripe is that the hotel has 44 floors but only 3 elevators; wait times can become long. Bathrooms are a bit compact, but this is New York, where space is at a premium. Mostly quiet at night, and a short walk to battery park. Overall, a decent hotel if you get a good price on a room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Fujibar,

Thank you for taking the time to a write a response. I am glad that you found our location convenient and accommodating. I apologize that you did not find the quantity of our elevators at our property to be accommodating for the number of rooms we possess. We do recommend that all guests staying at our property allow for an additional wait time during rush hour periods (8AM-10AM & 5PM-7PM). I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you during your stay with us. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!

New York, United States
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Nice hotel. Staff are very polite and helpful. Also supports access for people in wheelchairs very easily. Hotel rooms are wheelchair friendly. Nice pub next doors with friendly staff and good pub food. Two blocks from Staten Island Ferry.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

2 Thank Arnold V
Dear Arnold,

I am glad that you found our property accommodating to wheelchair accessibility and our staff polite and helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write your response. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Financial District and have a great day!